cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

TalkTalk Mail - Advertising

MrBear2022
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Private Message TalkTalk

Message 10 of 10

Given that customers pay TalkTalk for their facilities, why is about one-third of the screen wasted on adverts?

Moderator note:  Originally posted on the OX Cloud 8 TalkTalk Mail upgrade post.

0 Likes
9 REPLIES 9

Message 1 of 10

Thanks MrBear2022. I use TalkTalk Mail webmail and via IMAP secure accounts on Thunderbird (the release channel version not the Beta) and via Bluemail and other software when needed. Just choose the secure method that suits your needs and on supported devices.

GondolaCommunity Star 2017-2024

Like below to appreciate my post . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

0 Likes

MrBear2022
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 2 of 10

I've used Windows Mail for a long time as I didn't care for the TalkTalk webmail privacy policy. I'm now using Thunderbird version 110 which is infinitely superior to the horrid M$ offering. In reality, the only mail I receive on my TT account is the bill from TT so anything would do. Ideally I'd like my account on this forum to go to my TT address but that went when the username policy changed and I needed a new account here.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 10

Gotcha now, good tip. 

Message 4 of 10

This is what the display looks like when the skyscraper reserved 'whitespace' is removed and the email display extends to the right hand side below the sign out icon.

No skyscraper ad present

For anyone looking at this bear in mind it's relevant only for the current TalkTalk Mail version 7.8.4 and not for the proposed Cloud 8 new upgrade for the mail platform.

Message 5 of 10

No whitespace on mine? This is flush against the bookmarks bar:

0 Likes

Message 6 of 10

ferguson wrote: ...I have never needed to zoom my Chrome browser window on my Mac to avoid ads, simply enable an ad blocker? 

True but the ad-blocker doesn't automatically remove the reserved 'skyscraper whitespace' formerly occupied by advertising on the right hand side. The 130% zoom does though. There is another workaround that I personally use because I optimise my browser at 80% zoom.

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 7 of 10

@Gondola I have never needed to zoom my Chrome browser window on my Mac to avoid ads, simply enable an ad blocker? 

Good point about using a mail client though, which has the advantage also of being able to handle a multitude of different email sources.

0 Likes

Gondola
Philosopher
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 8 of 10

The pre-launch video is only a demo and not the finished product. It's not been announced if the OX Cloud 8 platform will be monetized for TalkTalk with revenue generating advertising to reduce the overall costs of running a mail service or whether operating costs would ultimately come from customer revenues.

If you find the advertising intrusive and want more screen for TalkTalk Mail then there are ways. TalkTalk Mail supports IMAP and POP3 connections to the mailbox so use an advertising free email software client or email app. If using TalkTalk Mail webmail then use an ad-blocker, zoom the browser to 130% and go full-screen mode by hiding the browser header (F11 on Windows - On Mac, use Command + Control + F).

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 9 of 10

Mine isn't. But then I use an ad blocker. As TalkTalk clearly have in the making of that video.  🙂