cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

TalkTalk Mail - upgrades planned over the next 3 months

Chris-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 23 of 23

As we head into the summer months, we are delighted to bring our TalkTalk Consumer Email Community the exciting news that we will soon be upgrading our email platform. The mailbox migration activity will commence in late July following the completion of our testing, and we hope to complete the migration of all email addresses by the end of October.

Further communications will be sent via email in advance of when your own mailbox will be migrated, these communications will include the target date for your migration. For a sneak preview of the new TalkTalk Webmail layout click here, as you can see it includes all the features available today with a new look and feel.

22 REPLIES 22

Message 1 of 23

Hi RuthieK2 

The error message relates to added secondary email accounts that are added to a primary email login to a TalkTalk Mail mailbox.

Unfortunately the re-authentication of the secondary added TalkTalk mailbox encrypted password is failing again. TalkTalk are aware of this issue. Please put your main email address and the secondary addresses in your Community profile Private Notes box.

The fault is not a mailbox migration issue. The fault is however the same as happened last year on the former mail platform. The mailboxes are all going to be working as individual mailboxes. So to access mail messages in a secondary TalkTalk Mail account just sign out from the primary mailbox and sign in to the other mailbox. Sign out of that to sign back in to the primary mailbox.

Not as convenient as having all mailboxes on the one sign in but it's a workaround.

Or you can add all TalkTalk Mail addresses to an email client like Thunderbird, or BlueMail for example. IMAP (or POP3) connections are not affected.

GondolaCommunity Star 2017-2024

Like below to appreciate my post . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

0 Likes

Message 2 of 23

is there an issue with people accessing their emails whilst this migration is going on as I have been experiencing issues the last 2 days. message i'm getting is "the entered credential or authentication information does not work or are no longer accepted by the provider. please change them".

I cannot find any information giving new credentials to set up mail account

0 Likes

Gondola
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 3 of 23

The mail migrations process is still ongoing / overrunning from the expected September completion date and will continue into November for mailboxes not yet migrated to the new look Mail platform.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 23

The mail migrations process is still ongoing / overrunning from the expected September completion date.

But what is more relevant to your question is when TalkTalk restore the ability for users to create new talktalk.net email addresses. Your sister can check from time to time in her customer MyAccount in the Manage Email (Mailbox) section as that's where the button to create a new email address lives, normally. If that page has a yellow banner saying Functions not available and or the grey banner message about removal of the create/delete mailbox functionality then creation of a talktalk.net mailbox has not been restored.

I'll post here when the Create a mailbox functionality is restored, if I'm still actively supporting the Email forum when that event happens. Who knows what will come first!

In reply to your add-on question about mandatory topic labels. The topic is labelled not the reply posts.

DrStrange
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Private Message TalkTalk

Message 5 of 23

Hello,

My sister is with TalkTalk and her son has asked her to buy him a new PC. She would like to set him up with his own TalkTalk email account rather than an email account from another provider, eg Microsoft.

Is the planned email platform upgrade still due to be completed by the end of October? Or once the end of October comes around, if the upgrade has not been completed at that time, could TalkTalk provide a status update either in this topic thread or in the timeline FAQ at https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Webmail-Update/bd-p/webmailupdate ?

Since when did the forum stop requiring you to add tags to posts?

Thank you.

0 Likes

Message 6 of 23

"People can make targeted mitigations"? If by that you mean recipients of the phishing emails will take more care not to click on suspect links in emails?  Obviously yes.

From what I've seen the discovery of TalkTalk email addresses mostly happened from 2017 onwards when users downloaded malware that captured email addresses and passwords. So, obviously, be aware that you'll be targeted to that same email address.

• Upgrade all passwords associated with anything that has links to the email address
  • Never have any password the same or similar to any other that you use
  • Never click on any links without double checking where that link will take you
  • Keep your Operating system and email software up to date
  • And ensure Internet security is up to date and active whenever you're online

In the meantime TalkTalk are investigating all reports of the current wave of phishing emails. The outcome being that scammers can be stopped at source and all compromised TalkTalk email accounts can be identified and suspended.

0 Likes

Message 7 of 23

That's a relief.  Whilst I should've known better with a couple of giveaways that it was dodgy, I clicked the link, due to the proximity to the recent upgrade activities. 

From what you've said though, the fact that I got a site couldn't be reached or similar message, means one of my protections has averted further issues?? 

I changed passwords, emailed phishing@, etc. anyway. 

Will analysis be done to understand the impact of clicking on this, given it's high profile nature and likely extensive reach, so that people can make targeted mitigations?

0 Likes

Message 8 of 23

Hi DandCM 

It's a phishing email. You were right to be wary.

TalkTalk never send official emails via talktalk.net or tiscali.co.uk domains and never ever ask you to refresh, authenticate, or verify your account details by sending you off to some amateur website.

0 Likes

DandCM
First Timer
Private Message
Message 9 of 23

I`ve just received an email allegedly from TalkTalk from `maxwellhouse2@talktalk.net` about `TalkTalk Refresh Activation`. I`m not addressed by name in the mail;, just `Hi`. So is this you or is it a scam? I`m wary because it asks me to refresh my account details.

Thanks,

Denys

0 Likes

blodwynblod
Whizz Kid
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 10 of 23

hi all I have received two of these phishing emails one from a tiscali address and one from a talktalk.net address I forwarded both to phishing@talktalk.co.uk it's almost like dido harding never left has the talktalk email service/servers been hacked again , you have to laugh!

regards

Blodwyn

0 Likes

Message 11 of 23

Hi alanr4 

TalkTalk Mail is currently free for TalkTalk broadband customers although TalkTalk do reserve the right to charge for the service in the future.

Communications will be sent via email in advance of individual mailbox migration to the new Mail platform. These communications will include the target date for your mailbox migration. To preview the new TalkTalk Webmail layout click this link to YouTube here, and as you can see it includes all the app features available today with a new look. The search is more powerful and there's additional security built in.

Note that there are rogue phishing emails in circulation. Be aware that in official TalkTalk communications there are no links to click to 'Verify' 'Refresh' 'Upgrade' or 'Update' your email account. At no time will TalkTalk ever ask you to enter your email address and password other than on the official sign in website.

0 Likes

Message 12 of 23

There are no extra charges in the email upgrades, @alanr4.

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes

alanr4
First Timer
Private Message
Message 13 of 23

What are these so-called upgrades mentioned in talktalk recent email?  Can see nothing beyond extra charges I don't need or want.

0 Likes

Message 14 of 23

If scammers know your email address then you're going to be targeted.  Keep your device security up to date and regularly scan for viruses, trojans and other malware.

TalkTalk do not use any tiscali.co.uk or talktalk.net email addresses for communications nor do they ever ask you to click links to 'Activate', 'Refresh', or 'Update' your account. 

The latest phishing examples are shown below:

TalkTalk Mail help

Help with Phishing emails

Report a phishing or spam email

0 Likes

Message 15 of 23

conveniently this email also came from a talktalk.net email account,  Is there a way to report this user for fraudulent activities / phishing?

Playing GT5 on the Nurburgring Nordschleife with my Chrome Enzo Ferrari 😉
0 Likes

Message 16 of 23

@Gizmo1981, it's a frighteningly good imitation of a Talktalk information email that came out ahead of the upgrade/migration of inboxes.

Emails from Talktalk will show the following address when they are the real deal:

20230922_100019.jpg

Always use a link from a webpage that you know to be safe to sign in on, from Talktalk's own website, rather than clicking on anything in an email. 

0 Likes

Message 17 of 23

Thanks,  So this isn't a legitimate email.

email screenshotemail screenshot

@mghill is this the same content you received?

0 Likes

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 18 of 23

@Gizmo1981 and @mghill, don't click on the link - luckily your security software is kicking in to prevent further steps.

If you need to sign into Talktalk webmail follow the link contained in Talktalk's own information pages:

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Webmail-Update/bd-p/webmailupdate

mghill
First Timer
Private Message
Message 19 of 23

What does the email look like?

I have received an email frommartyn.asquith@talktalk.net

The emaIL asks to update account details by 10 oCTOBER 2023 to keep the account active

The link in the email is not recognised-error message states "apps.refreshtak,com's DNS address could not be found" 

Is this a spam ?

0 Likes

Gizmo1981
Whizz Kid
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 20 of 23

I got an email about this but when I click the link to "refresh your account" it links to a website that is not accepting connections.

How am I supposed to migrate to the newer version if it's not allowing me to do so?

The error I get is "ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED" 

I really hope I don't lose my email because of this because I rely on it.

0 Likes