cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

The operation timed out waiting for a response from the receiving (POP) server.

bowzig
Chatterbox
Private Message
Message 6 of 6

I have a tiscali.co.uk email address and today updated the email settings to the new server and port as advised in the email sent, but encountered error messages that seem to change throughout the day when trying to Send/Receive. Outlook does not like the settings provided and advises it's unable to save the changes for Incoming mail, implying it could not resolve. I've forced them to save as they're the ones TalkTalk provided, but it's not working! My password has remained constant through and works fine on webmail, and I have added the correct mail server settings for pop i.e. mail.talktalk.net, port 995 and encrypted connection SSL/TLS. However, currently, on send/receive I get the following error for Receive only.

Error (0x8004210A): The operation timed out waiting for a response from the receiving (POP) server.

Previously I was getting a TT401 error.

Worked fine before I made the changes! What's going wrong?

0 Likes
5 REPLIES 5

Message 1 of 6

When you apply the talktalk.net settings you'll need to accept a new certificate if you get a popup for that and to set the servers to use password authentication / outgoing authentication so will need to enter the password.

pop.tiscali.co.uk still works because it's listed on the mail.talktalk.net server certificate as an alternative. When the certificate is next renewed that alternative may not be there and if not there your email will not work.

GondolaCommunity Star 2017-2024

Like below to appreciate my post . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

bowzig
Chatterbox
Private Message
Message 2 of 6

I've reverted the settings to pop.tiscali.co.uk and it's working fine, so seems the problem is with your new settings!

0 Likes

Message 3 of 6

Hi bowzig, that email address is showing full function. There are no restrictions in place.

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

bowzig
Chatterbox
Private Message
Message 4 of 6

Hi Ady,

I've added the email address to my private notes - it's my main account email address.

Thanks.

0 Likes

Ady-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 5 of 6

Hi bowzig, please add the affected email to your community profile in the private notes section. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes