cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cannot send on smtp.tiscali.co.uk

gazzaniknok
Popular Poster
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 15 of 15

Hi, please help. I can receive Tiscali emails but cannot send them. When the email client tries to validate the smtp settings it says cannot open connection to the server. This happens on both my Tiscali email accounts. I can send on webmail without problem. Can somebody fix this for me please. Thank you

0 Likes
14 REPLIES 14

Message 1 of 15

Thanks Ady.

So, that leaves the device itself. Have you done a power off and power on? If that does not resolve the issue then a Factory reset but first do you have an alternate device to check against?

You're not using a VPN service on the original 'phone are you? Either a standalone VPN or one that's part of Internet security? If the VPN host server happened to be an overseas host then making that connection to the smtp servers might cause a connection fail especially if the host was in a country deemed at high risk of sending spam.

GondolaCommunity Star 2017-2024

Like below to appreciate my post . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

gazzaniknok
Popular Poster
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 2 of 15

Thank you Ady-TalkTalk. Even with the correct settings and different Android email clients, the issue must be with Android 10 and or Samsung Galaxy S9

0 Likes

Message 3 of 15

There are no blocks on this mailbox. I've checked on 2 systems and there's nothing there to stop mail sending.

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

gazzaniknok
Popular Poster
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 4 of 15

Hi Gondola, I confirm I have reset my password, it is now 15 characters. Still the same, smtp settings do not open the smtp server. Both my Tiscali emails do not allow me to send but I can receive on the Gmail app. Webmail is working both ways. I will make sure my profile is up to date. Thank you once again.

0 Likes

Message 5 of 15

Prepare for TalkTalk Support - include in the Community Profile (not in these public posts):

Account holder name, TalkTalk home 'phone number (if not Data Only broadband)

Alternative mobile contact number. Full address with postcode (in the Location box)

Scroll down to Private notes to add the email addresses that need checking

Check and Save changes

Select here: Update your profile

A TalkTalk Support member will reply to this thread and then Community Private Message you to confirm your details.

Message 6 of 15

And yet it receives mail messages? One last thing to do to get around the mail sending being barred for security reasons is to change the password. I appreciate it's compliant but this change is simply to prove that the mailbox is under the control of the registered user.

The Reset password now button in the help article  Changing your email password will take you to password reset and recovery. 

If you have set up password recovery options, in advance, that you recognise from the *****hints, then you can send your alternate email address a link or your mobile a 6-digit code to authorise a password reset.

In the meantime, I'll flag this up to TalkTalk Support just in case sending has been barred and the password change does not release the barring.

gazzaniknok
Popular Poster
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 7 of 15

Hi, installed BlueMail. It fails to connect to server on smtp.talktalk.net settings using STARTTLS port 587 with sign in ticked and automatic authentication selected. Thanks for your help

0 Likes

Message 8 of 15

Excellent. So we have the smtp servers working for your mailboxes via webmail and the current passwords are compliant with TalkTalk's security requirements.

So what I'd like you to do is to go to the Google Play Store and download the BlueMail or TypeApp email app and set that up in accord with the previously advised settings.

Let me know the outcome.

gazzaniknok
Popular Poster
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 9 of 15

Yes upper case and lower case plus special characters. The password on my other Tiscali email is even longer - 14 characters and that doesn't work either on smtp. Thanks

0 Likes

Message 10 of 15

An 11 character password complies with minimum length. Is it multicase letters i.e. both upper and lower case and does it include at least one number and one symbol?

0 Likes

gazzaniknok
Popular Poster
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 11 of 15

Gondola, thankyou again. I can confirm that the smtp email settings used are exactly as described by you with sign required switch to on. When I press done , the app tries to verify them, but I cannot save those settings  because they do not open the connection to the server. The password is eleven characters long. Thank you

0 Likes

Message 12 of 15

Just to clarify the email passwords - they're a minimum of 8 characters, although I recommend 12 - 15, multicase letters and at least one number and one approved symbol?

I find the Gmail app is reliable. Would you take some screenshots of the outgoing server settings please. Image edit to obscure the first part of the tiscali.co.uk sending email address in the Username box.

Require sign in must be switched on - switch to the right

Username is your full tiscali.co.uk email address

Password is the current tiscali email address password

SMTP server: smtp.talktalk.net

Port: 587

Security Type: STARTTLS

The Gmail app should, if there's a connection to the Internet, immediately verify the settings assuming that  the account(s) have not been limited to webmail only access.

0 Likes

gazzaniknok
Popular Poster
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 13 of 15

Thankyou Gondola for your help. Using smtp.talktalk.net still gives the same error message - cannot open connection to server. I am using the bog standard Android app Gmail on a Samsung Galaxy S9, Android version 10. I believe both passwords for my Tiscali email accounts are strong. I will be grateful for any help. Thank you

0 Likes

Gondola
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 14 of 15

Good to know that the mailbox sending is working via TalkTalk Mail webmail.

Tell us what device you're using and what the Operating system version is and then what email client software and version you're using. All need to be up to date as regards security for the email system.

Have you checked that the settings for incoming and outgoing mail servers are exactly as described in the TalkTalk Mail Help content that I'll link to below?  Perhaps you're using out of date legacy tiscali.co.uk server settings - implied by the title of this topic? Or perhaps the password is weak?  The password may be accepted in webmail but if too weak may be rejected by the outgoing smtp server and hence the connection not accepted.

The TalkTalk Mail Support Hub is your go to resource for information, guides and Community support for TalkTalk Consumer home broadband and MailPlus subscribers.

Select here:
TalkTalk Mail Support

TalkTalk Mail help
Using TalkTalk Mail

Changing your email password

Email settings and device setup guides for TalkTalk Mail