cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

emails lost from inbox

rongibbs
Whizz Kid
Private Message
Message 7 of 7

A couple of days ago, all the messages from the TT inbox suddenly disappeared. I looked in webmail, and they aren't in trash. Can they be restored?

0 Likes
6 REPLIES 6

Message 1 of 7

Because I want to access them on my other devices while I’m away from home (which is often). I can always delete the duplicates in eM (hopefully I can think of a cunning way to do that in bulk).

Message 2 of 7

You'll end up with a double dose of emails in the eMClient device but the thought is good. Why not just save those mail messages as eml files to a backup drive?

GondolaCommunity Star 2017-2024

Like below to appreciate my post . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

Message 3 of 7

Ah. Maybe I inadvertently unchecked the “leave messages on the server” one time while I was trying to restore my service (that I now know was a TT issue, not mine!). Buggrit! Who’d have guessed that would delete everything the inbox with no means of recovery? Maybe I can get round it by forwarding copies of my recent eM inbox messages to myself?

Message 4 of 7

OK, good to know you do have the emails saved on the eMClient device. So, how is eMClient set up as regards downloading and deleting emails? Other devices would not be able to download emails if eMClient doesn't leave a copy on the server.

Unfortunately TalkTalk doesn't offer a backup service for any 'missing' mail messages / mail messages downloaded and deleted from the server. So we cannot call upon TalkTalk to restore mail to the Inbox or any other online folder.

Message 5 of 7

I don't have a problem receiving messages in eM. I changed the password for POP3 a while ago, but at that time SSL wasn't used for SMPT. That's why it tried to use an old saved password when it switched to SSL. That's what I think went wrong.
Now I am looking at the server inbox in webmail, and also on iPhone/iPad, and there are no messages older than a couple of days there. Fortunately I haven't lost messages in eM Client because it has saved emails on my PC, but it would be nice to have access to them on my other devices.

0 Likes

Gondola
Philosopher
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 6 of 7

When you entered the correct password for the outgoing mail server in eMClient you were able to send mail. So, if you enter the password for the account manually then eMClient would be able to connect to the Inbox. You're downloading from the Inbox as a POP3 client so whether the Inbox emails are being downloaded and deleted from the online Inbox or retained in the online Inbox depends on how you have the eMClient POP3 account set up. e.g. 'Leave copy of email on the server'

There was an issue earlier in the week when mailbox access was problematic and content wasn't being loaded from the mailbox server. So that might account for why online Inbox emails weren't seen.

But let us know what happens when you update the eMClient password.