cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

Advice needed for setting up new modem and router

Genosha
First Timer
Private Message
Message 7 of 7

Hey all, sorry if this is the wrong place to post, I wasn't sure the best place to do so.

I am soon to change my TalkTalk Sagemcom Fast 5364 router to a BT Openreach HG612 3B VDSL FTTC modem and a Netgear Nighthawk XR1000 gaming router.

This is a bit daunting to do for me, as the more I read up on it, the more complicated it seems to get.

I assume I am getting an appropriate modem, as I understand VDSL is the correct type I need, but I am unsure of what I need to do to set it up alongside the new router. I have found this link on the TalkTalk site that shows some details to enter into a new router, but are some of these entered into the new modem as well? If not, what do I need to enter into the modem?

The gaming router set up apparently asks for the login name and pass of my ISP network connection. What are these? I understand it is not my TalkTalk website login details, but I have no others as far as I know.

I am pretty worried I'm going to run into some hurdles that'll stop me in my tracks, as I am not good with this sort of stuff. If anyone could be kind enough to write me a simple walkthrough of what I need to do in order and what I can expect to need to enter into the modem and router to get it all running properly, I would be very grateful.

0 Likes
6 REPLIES 6

Message 1 of 7

Good morning,

Thanks for keeping us updated 🙂

Michelle

0 Likes

Genosha
First Timer
Private Message
Message 2 of 7

Just an update now I am in possession of both the new modem and router.

I didn't even need to do anything. The modem worked instantly as soon as I checked it, first directly into my pc, and then the router picked it up great when plugged in after.

The only problem I had, which was frustrating at first until I figured out what the problem was; I couldn't log into the router reliably with Firefox and it kept disconnecting it when it did connect. I eventually used Edge browser and it worked perfectly, so set up the router that way. All I needed to do was run the auto set up.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 3 of 7

You need to make sure that the router is compatible with the TalkTalk network.

The main issues will always be configuring the WAN port of the router correctly, particularly with respect of VLAN 101. Then there is the DHCP client configuration to get a WAN IP address from the network. Get this wrong and you'll be trying to get a new WAN IP address every 15 minutes.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

Message 4 of 7

Thanks for taking a look anyway. I Just thought someone who's carried out the same sort of thing could tell me what to expect, the sort of details I'm going to have to input etc that I'll need to get ready.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 5 of 7

Hi @Genosha 

You are really on your own with this, I cannot support 3rd party routers, as I have no access to them. 

Try looking at this article:-

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/Set-up-a-non-TalkTalk-router/ta-p/2205383 

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 6 of 7

Morning,

@KeithFrench - Is this something that you may be able to offer some advice on please?

Thanks

Michelle