cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

Broadband speed drops after few hours

ChrisB1
Popular Poster
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 18 of 18

I have had problems with my broadband for a few months now, but they have recently got worse.

Immediately after powering off my router (for half an hour sometimes) and powering on again, the speeds are good (30-40 Mbps for downloads, 7 Mbps for uploads).  However, after a couple of hours, the download speed is typically 1-2 Mbps, and a few hours later it is 0.5 Mbps or even dead altogether.  Wired and wireless connections show the same speed, as do laptops and mobile phones.  I can reset the modem again, which gives an improvement, but the problem always comes back again.

0 Likes
17 REPLIES 17

Message 1 of 18

Morning Chris,

Thanks for the update 🙂 If anything does change then please let us know 🙂

Michelle

0 Likes

ChrisB1
Popular Poster
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 2 of 18

Hello Michelle,

I didn't have the opportunity to check during the weekend, but it is still pretty good this morning.  (I am getting a download speed of 41.8 Mbps, compared with 42.6 on Friday and 47 to 45 with the previous router over the 12 days it worked.)

I will package up the old (dead) router and get it sent back to you today.

Chris

0 Likes

Message 3 of 18

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the update. How has your connection been over the weekend?

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 4 of 18

Thanks Debbie.  The replacement router arrived a couple of hours ago.  It is now connected, and working well.  (Maybe a couple of Mbps slower than when I measured with the previous one on Sunday - 42.6 compared with 45.3 - though I don't know if that is significant.  It is still good.)

Let's hope it continues to work for a lot longer than the previous one did!

Chris

0 Likes

Message 5 of 18

Hi Chris

Thanks for your reply.

The router is on its way, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Let us know how the connection compares with this router.

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 6 of 18

The router is plugged directly into the master socket, where the phone line enters the building.  (Is that what you mean?)  I know I can remove the cover plate from the socket, but then I would need to use a filter/splitter to have the correct socket for the broadband connection.

I don't know if it is helpful to state that not only do I not have any broadband connection out to the internet, also phone & laptops can no longer see any Wireless signal at all.  (I have also tried a direct ethernet connection instead of WiFi, but still have no network connection.)

If you could send a replacement router to try, that would be very helpful.  It was working so well for 11 days after you sent the otehr one!!

Chris

0 Likes

Message 7 of 18

Hi Chris

I'm really sorry about this.

Is the router currently at the test socket? I've completed a line test and this is clear, no faults detected.

Would you like me to send another router?

0 Likes

Message 8 of 18

Hi Debbie,

I was away for a couple of days.  I'm now back, and have tried the factory reset but it has made no difference whatsoever.  Do you have any other suggestions?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 9 of 18

Hi Chris

How are you getting on? Have you tried the factory reset?

0 Likes

Message 10 of 18

Hi Chris

I'm really sorry to hear this.

Have you tried factory resetting the router using the pin hole reset for ten seconds?

0 Likes

ChrisB1
Popular Poster
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 11 of 18

Since you sent the new router, my internet has (as I previously described) been great for almost 2 weeks - until today.  Now I have no connection at all.  I just tried turning the new router off for 1/2 hour and back on.  It will not connect.  After showing a blinking amber light, then blinking amber/white for quite a time, it just goes to solid amber.

Could the new router have died already?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 12 of 18

Hi @ChrisB1 

I'm so glad to hear that the router has arrived and that the speed has improved, thanks for letting us know 🙂

Yes please can you can return the old router using the pre paid returns bag - Thank you.

I've also sent you a Private Message with a link to a short survey for the Community.

Thanks again.

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 13 of 18

Hi Debbie,

Yes, thank you for the prompt delivery.  It arrived yesterday and my broadband speed looks very good.  I ran it all yesterday with very little decrease in speed.  Today I have reconnected the YouView box (via Ethernet over the mains) and also a WiFi range extender.  I am continuing to monitor, but so far everything looks good.  The speed (as indicated by Speedtest) has dropped by about 4% since yesterday morning, not by 95% or more after a few hours as it did with the old router!  I wish that I had contacted you about this months ago!

Would you like me to package up the old router in the returns bag and send it back to you?

Chris

Message 14 of 18
0 Likes

Message 15 of 18

Hi ChrisB1

Thanks for your reply 🙂

The router is on its way, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Let us know how the connection compares with this router.

Debbie

0 Likes

ChrisB1
Popular Poster
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 16 of 18

Yes please, it would be good to check that.

Debbie-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 17 of 18

Hi ChrisB1

I'm sorry to hear this.

The line tests are clear - No Faults detected. The line is currently in sync at just under 46mb.

Would you like me to send a replacement router for testing so we can rule this out?

0 Likes