cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

Digital Voice - Settings to use generic voip handsets ?

justaqueston
First Timer
Private Message
Message 3 of 3

Hello,

My parents are going to be forcred to digital voice soon. I understand they can use the talktalk mobile app and one handset plugged directly into the router. However they will want additional handsets, wondering what the best setup here is.

Do talktalk give you voip credentials so that you can use any voip handset with a generic protocol like SIP ? 

Thanks. Alex

0 Likes
2 REPLIES 2

justaqueston
First Timer
Private Message
Message 1 of 3

Thank you community super star Keith.

They want to keep their number 100% so yes i was only talking about talk talk digital voice. I was assuming talktalk digital voice would come with something like this but from what you say it seems that its not compatible with third party hardware - thats good to know.

They have very thick walls so dects not going to make it that far but think this is simplest quick solution to at least have a few handsets

And yes thanks for sharing the video i had already wondered about doing this as this would keep things simple and without change for my parents 🙂

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 2 of 3

Using SIP phones would involve your parents subscribing to a SIP provider (these are not free & call charges are probably different to TalkTalk's standard charges). I would think that they would probably end up with a phone number from this SIP provider and their existing number provided over the Digital Voice. I would not recommend this set-up in this situation.

Digital Voice is provided as a direct replacement for the current analogue system. Your parents will be provided with one of two solutions for Digital Voice:-

• Eero router & for the voice a Grandstream ATA
  • Sagemcom Wi-Fi Hub 2 (router & voice all in one unit).

Whether it t is the Grandsteam or the Hub 2, they each have a phone port on them. This allows the connection of a standard landline corded phone or the base station of a DECT cordless phone system. The phone port on these two behaves electrically the same as the old phone master socket.

If they want extra phones then by far the easiest way is to use the DECT cordless type, which is often sold with one, two or three handsets. However, if they want to use extra corded phones then the existing cabling can be used with some modification. This is possible if you have the skill set required to carry out this work. See this YouTube video on how to do it:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Id_KGXMcJHk&ab_channel=MyMateVINCE 

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they?