cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEED SOME HELP?

We’re here 24/7. 365 days a year.
Ask questions. Find your answers. Connect.

FF 150 Problems: Slow Speed, Instability, Account Dashboard, IP Blacklisting & VOIP Blocking

LivingWise
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 76 of 76

I am a TalkTalk customer since 2012. I recently moved to a house that has only Full Fibre, so I signed up to 150 with a Hub 2 Sagemcom FAST 5464-2.T4 router running SG4K100158 software. I do not use WiFi (only ethernet) so required the 4 LAN ports on the Hub 2 and was advised on this forum that this would not affect the quality of the service.

The TalkTalk 150 went live on Monday 3rd July. Because there is no copper service to this property now, and TalkTalk do not offer a VOIP service, I took out a phone service with bOnline who provided me with a Yealink T31P deskphone. I also have a Gigaset N300 IP Base Station to run 6 Gigaset C530 handsets. I was told by TalkTalk Full Fibre Sales that this would be fine.

These are my current problems:
1. Speed is only 93 mbps down and 31 up, unstable and keeps dropping. Devices plugged directly into the back of the router keep disappearing from the list of connected devices on the router web interface (eg tablet and phones).

2. I cannot access my online TalkTalk account Dashboard without the error message “Oops. Let’s get you back on course… Sorry we’re unable to find the page you’re looking for”. Doesn’t matter what browser or device I use – this is always the response I get when logging in. Clearing history makes no difference.

3. The IP address of my router is showing as blacklisted with SORBS and Spamhaus on MXToolbox.

4. I have been unable set up my Yealink desktop or N300 Base Station. Following an onboarding session with bOnline earlier today, the phone was activated their end and then we added it to the IP Reservation list under the TalkTalk Wi-Fi Hub 2 settings tab. The phone still shows ‘No Service’. We reduced the Firewall in Access Control to Low so that LAN>WAN and WAN>LAN are both now ‘Allow All’. That made no difference, nor did restarting the phone or the router. bOnline advised that we needed to ensure SIP ALG was disabled and QOS enabled on the router but I cannot find those settings anywhere on the Hub 2 control panel.

I had the most distressing phone call with Angel in TalkTalk technical support who told me that there is nothing I can do about any of this other than to wait for 10 days. This will apparently resolve all my issues of speed, stability, online account access and IP blacklisting. If that wasn’t bad enough, I was then told that I don’t have a phone service so of course VOIP won’t work! It didn’t matter how many times I explained that I have a VOIP subscription with bOnline and that I just want to check the router settings, Angel kept repeating that I have no Voice service! I asked if what she meant was that TalkTalk Full Fibre somehow prevents VOIP from working – because I am able to make calls via my PC from the bOnline app just fine… (well until the connection drops out as the line is so unstable), but that I needed to plug a VOIP phone into a LAN port on the back of my router and use it, and she said “yes”!

I am now extremely concerned that I am stuck with a broadband contract that won’t allow me to have a phone in my house, and a VOIP service I can only use on my PC… which is not at all how I need it to work!

So, my questions are:
a. Is the speed, instability, account access and backlisting really going to spontaneously resolve in 10 days? If so great, but I just can’t see how all these are linked!

b. Is it true that I have been mis-sold a full fibre package by TalkTalk in terms of being unable to use VOIP phone devices with it? If so, how do I get out of this contract as it is not fit for purpose!

c. If it is not true, how can I go about ensuring SIP ALG is disabled, and QOS enabled on my Hub 2 as that may be the cause of the Yealink not working (I’ve not attempted to sort the issue with the N300 yet… one problem at a time!).

I would be so grateful for any advice or signposting as I really can’t take much more stress after what I’ve been through with Solicitors and this house move!!! I joked to my husband just last week that if I had issues with the broadband and phone not working that would finish me off… and ta-da! Here I am ;o)))

0 Likes
75 REPLIES 75

LivingWise
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 1 of 76

Thought I’d give a conclusion to this post for anyone else that experiences the issues I’ve had with a Hub 2 on Full Fibre 150.

My VOIP sorrows finally resolved – not entirely certain how or why, but eventually all my phones were detectable at the VOIP server and the service has worked pretty well since. Not perfectly – but OK! Speeds have been fast and stable even though my IP (new as of last Friday) is still showing as blacklisted with Spamhaus ZEN. This doesn’t appear to be having any negative effect on my use though.

As of today, my issues with Homesafe have finally been resolved. As other users were experiencing the same problem as I was with an inability to turn Homesafe off via the User Account Interface, it was escalated. For me the resolution appears to be that the ‘back office team’ have now set my account as ‘registered’ with an Eero router, despite me using a Hub 2. When I go into the Security settings in my online Account I get two messages: 1) “We can see you have one of our Eero routers. To set or change your settings please go into your Eero app to do this.” 2) “As one of our Eero customers, we recommend that you download the Eero app to manage security on your home network. For more information visit here”. 

The good news is that Homesafe is now turned off, and I am able to access the restricted sites I was previously blocked from (eg: AnyDesk). However, I have no Account level security control. I have been advised there is nothing that can be done about this as the Eero is the only router officially offered with Fibre 150. I have suggested that ‘choice’ would be a nice thing to have as not everyone wants, needs or can use WiFi, and I’ve been reassured that feedback will be passed on. However, for anyone, like me, who uses the Hub 2 on Fibre 150, I hope this feedback is helpful if you too experience issues with Homesafe as TalkTalk now appear to know what is causing it and can fix it. 

0 Likes

Message 2 of 76

It is strange that this is happening. I've been a customer for years and never had a blacklisted IP address as far as I can remember.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 76

I have re-booted several times over the last few weeks and today have another different IP address... though it is still showing as blacklisted with Barracuda and Spamhaus Zen 🙄 Your suggestion is logical and I have not left my router off for any period of time so tonight I will leave it off over night in case that does somehow help reset things. Thanks for the suggestion 😉

LivingWise
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 4 of 76

Your reply makes complete sense, thank you. I hope that this is in fact what has happened and that it is simply a case of ensuring my package is not registered as Eero and that it can be re-registered correctly 🤞

Message 5 of 76

@Gondola RS Components explanation is short on truth because Cat7 was never ratified as a TIA/EIA standard for domestic or commercial installations. Its was however ratified by ISO/IEC 11801 standard.

Both Cat6a and Cat7 came about in the same year 2002 but Cat6a was certified by TIA/EIA as more than capable of meeting the standards of high speed networks and is capable of running 10gig at up to 100m. Cat7 was therefore dropped as there was no need for it and technically used a propriety connector to be terminated correctly, although it is backwards compatible.

Granted it has the extra shielding which is why it costs more and is more popular in places like Germany. This is due to them having tougher EMC regulations requiring the extra shielding, but as a non standard cable it is not necessary for any installation except for data centres or where regulations require it. 

0 Likes

Message 6 of 76

Hi LivingWise, have support had you turn off the ONT and the Router for at least an hour? If not I'd suggest doing that tonight and retest in the morning. It should get you off that paralysed IP address, which will hopefully clear the HomeSafe issue as I suspect the IP is picking up old network settings that are causing the problem for you. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Message 7 of 76

In an effort to clarify as suggested by @Gliwmaeden2.

Your package is Fibre 150 Data Only as is my package. That package on the Openreach network is usually provided with the eero 6 router and bundled with eero Secure that replaces HomeSafe. If your package is registered as an eero package then HomeSafe will not be active although you will still see HomeSafe details via MyAccount. An eero registered package will not be able to activate or control HomeSafe features.

In my opinion, eero registered packages should not see anything in MyAccount about HomeSafe security and there is an outstanding 'fault ticket' with the MyAccount team.

If your package is registered as an eero package then for continued use with the TalkTalk Hub and HomeSafe you will need to have the package configuration changed by TalkTalk to deregister it as an eero package.

NB.

The Fibre 65 Data Only package is registered for use with the TalkTalk Hub and HomeSafe not with the eero 6.

As for CAT 7 vs CAT 6 cables here's a guide to CAT 7 courtesy of the respected supplier RS Components. I personally have chosen CAT 7 to future proof for FTTP speed upgrades and my home's hidden network cabling for 10-25Gbps home networking plus the benefit of the extra shielding from electro-magnetic interference (EMI) that is offered by CAT 7. But it's personal choice based on cost / need for additional screening / wish to benefit from faster network speeds. I'm sure you'll be perfectly good with CAT 6 Ethernet device connections for your current usage.

GondolaCommunity Star 2017-2024

Like below to appreciate my post . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

Message 8 of 76

AnyDesk is blocked as part of the Scam protection enabled on your account. The fact you cannot control this from your account is indeed an issue for TT to resolve. If what they say is correct and that the Fibre 150 service does not include HomeSafe, then why is it blocking such services.

I use RDP and AnyDesk extensively when working from home for IT support to clients computers and servers where a VPN is not possible. I had to disable the Scam protection for this to work.

LivingWise
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 9 of 76

BTW... as an aside... after @mrwrighty advice re CAT7 vs CAT6 cables I can confirm that I swapped my CAT7 for the 6 and had no drop in speed or service over the 30m cable and saved myself some considerable cash as the CAT7 was very much more expensive, so thanks for that tip and hope this helps others. 

Message 10 of 76

@Gliwmaeden2 

I do not use HomeSafe and my VoIP and VPN connections work fine, sorry I can't help. 

0 Likes

LivingWise
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 11 of 76

Sorry if I've caused some confusion with my explanation... tech support told me that Fibre 150 does NOT have HomeSafe at all because all security is controlled via the Eero App (hence why that router is specified for 150) and therefore there is no HomeSafe at all on the 150 service. I asked if this applies to whatever router is used with a 150 service (given that other routers clearly work with the service ie my Hub 2!) and the answer was that the ONLY compatible security for 150 was the Eero Secure!

I couldn't get an answer as to why am I able to see HomeSafe on my security settings if it is not part of the service on 150, yet cannot control it due to the error message - hence was transferred to complaints. My question is does this mean that HomeSafe is not available on the 150 service AT ALL or is this again wrong information being given out by Tech Support? I am still being blocked from accessing sites such as AnyDesk and I've tried disabling my Anti-Virus software in case it was that causing this issue and it has made no difference, so I'm pretty certain it's got to be something at the TalkTalk end ie HomeSafe. 

0 Likes

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 12 of 76

@LivingWise, I can't remember if it was @ferguson or @Gondola that got a similar message about Homesafe. 

Hopefully they will be able to let you know, for clarification. 

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.

Message 13 of 76

Having an Eero isn't a prerequisite to use Homesafe. I haven't used a TalkTalk router for years, never had an Eero only the Hub 2 sent to me and have always  had access to home safe on my account.

That said I do have it turned off for both Kids Safe and Scam protection as it blocks me working from home in certain situations, particularly remote desktop tools and some VPN services. I have a fully featured firewall/router than handles this more effectively.

Admittedly I only have the Fibre 65 service as an upgrade to my old VDSL service so still have copper for my phone, but dont see this would make any difference to having access to online security features.

Home SafeHome Safe

LivingWise
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 14 of 76

I was transferred to Full Fibre Complaints by Tech Support as they insisted that the information they were giving me was correct and that the only way for me to solve this issue was to use an Eero router. A formal complaint has now been raised (ref is in my profile) for this to be investigated. 

That whole chat session has taken from 09:08 to 11:30. 😖 

Would very much appreciate any input on this HomeSafe vs Eero situation. Just what is the truth? 

0 Likes

LivingWise
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 15 of 76

So... the good news is that the bill for my old account has been zeroed for the second time and the £20 credit set against my new account - and I do have email confirmation of the credit, so I am hopeful this is the last time I have to deal with this.

However... I am now in a chat with Tech Support and being told that Fibre 150 security is controlled only by the Eero router and therefore does not have HomeSafe at all and that the only way to manage security settings is via the Eero interface. Can anyone clarify if this is true? If so, why does my online account show me a HomeSafe screen under my security settings with an error message? Surely it should not be visible at all? None of this makes any sense to me! If the Hub 2 router was not going to allow me to control my security why was it provided to me in the first place without any such warning? 

0 Likes

Message 16 of 76

Thanks. I'm in an online chat with billing as I type! 

0 Likes

Message 17 of 76

@LivingWise, post about the charges afresh in the billing section of the forum. 

I'll re-escalate this thread for attention re Homesafe etc.

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.

Message 18 of 76

It is now 10 working days since my issues with HomeSafe were escalated and it is still not resolved. 

To make matters worse - I received a redirected bill yesterday from my old home address for the closure of my previous Fibre 65 account. Despite the numerous phones calls and online chats - the last one on the 18th July with Francis who confirmed that this bill had been zeroed and the £20 credit as apology would be applied to my new Fibre Account, some bright spark has decided to re-apply the charge of £132.80 Contract Breakage Fee to my old account and, with the other various credits on the account... I'm now being charged £103.10. I'm guessing I'll have to waste another hour of my time today trying to get this overturned AGAIN. I'm absolutely fed up to the back teeth with this. 

Can anyone PLEASE help me get HomeSafe working so I can turn it off?!!!

0 Likes

Message 19 of 76

Yes hopefully it won't be to long

Chris

0 Likes

Message 20 of 76

Thanks for that feedback Superdews 🙂 

0 Likes