cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEED SOME HELP?

We’re here 24/7. 365 days a year.
Ask questions. Find your answers. Connect.

FF 150 Problems: Slow Speed, Instability, Account Dashboard, IP Blacklisting & VOIP Blocking

LivingWise
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 76 of 76

I am a TalkTalk customer since 2012. I recently moved to a house that has only Full Fibre, so I signed up to 150 with a Hub 2 Sagemcom FAST 5464-2.T4 router running SG4K100158 software. I do not use WiFi (only ethernet) so required the 4 LAN ports on the Hub 2 and was advised on this forum that this would not affect the quality of the service.

The TalkTalk 150 went live on Monday 3rd July. Because there is no copper service to this property now, and TalkTalk do not offer a VOIP service, I took out a phone service with bOnline who provided me with a Yealink T31P deskphone. I also have a Gigaset N300 IP Base Station to run 6 Gigaset C530 handsets. I was told by TalkTalk Full Fibre Sales that this would be fine.

These are my current problems:
1. Speed is only 93 mbps down and 31 up, unstable and keeps dropping. Devices plugged directly into the back of the router keep disappearing from the list of connected devices on the router web interface (eg tablet and phones).

2. I cannot access my online TalkTalk account Dashboard without the error message “Oops. Let’s get you back on course… Sorry we’re unable to find the page you’re looking for”. Doesn’t matter what browser or device I use – this is always the response I get when logging in. Clearing history makes no difference.

3. The IP address of my router is showing as blacklisted with SORBS and Spamhaus on MXToolbox.

4. I have been unable set up my Yealink desktop or N300 Base Station. Following an onboarding session with bOnline earlier today, the phone was activated their end and then we added it to the IP Reservation list under the TalkTalk Wi-Fi Hub 2 settings tab. The phone still shows ‘No Service’. We reduced the Firewall in Access Control to Low so that LAN>WAN and WAN>LAN are both now ‘Allow All’. That made no difference, nor did restarting the phone or the router. bOnline advised that we needed to ensure SIP ALG was disabled and QOS enabled on the router but I cannot find those settings anywhere on the Hub 2 control panel.

I had the most distressing phone call with Angel in TalkTalk technical support who told me that there is nothing I can do about any of this other than to wait for 10 days. This will apparently resolve all my issues of speed, stability, online account access and IP blacklisting. If that wasn’t bad enough, I was then told that I don’t have a phone service so of course VOIP won’t work! It didn’t matter how many times I explained that I have a VOIP subscription with bOnline and that I just want to check the router settings, Angel kept repeating that I have no Voice service! I asked if what she meant was that TalkTalk Full Fibre somehow prevents VOIP from working – because I am able to make calls via my PC from the bOnline app just fine… (well until the connection drops out as the line is so unstable), but that I needed to plug a VOIP phone into a LAN port on the back of my router and use it, and she said “yes”!

I am now extremely concerned that I am stuck with a broadband contract that won’t allow me to have a phone in my house, and a VOIP service I can only use on my PC… which is not at all how I need it to work!

So, my questions are:
a. Is the speed, instability, account access and backlisting really going to spontaneously resolve in 10 days? If so great, but I just can’t see how all these are linked!

b. Is it true that I have been mis-sold a full fibre package by TalkTalk in terms of being unable to use VOIP phone devices with it? If so, how do I get out of this contract as it is not fit for purpose!

c. If it is not true, how can I go about ensuring SIP ALG is disabled, and QOS enabled on my Hub 2 as that may be the cause of the Yealink not working (I’ve not attempted to sort the issue with the N300 yet… one problem at a time!).

I would be so grateful for any advice or signposting as I really can’t take much more stress after what I’ve been through with Solicitors and this house move!!! I joked to my husband just last week that if I had issues with the broadband and phone not working that would finish me off… and ta-da! Here I am ;o)))

0 Likes
75 REPLIES 75

Superdews
Participant
Private Message
Message 41 of 76

I have the FF150 package with voip from TalkTalk and I also have the Hub2 as the Eero I was provided with originally had a poor wifi range. The phone service has been fine but I want to eventually move it away from my broadband provider to give me more flexibility. With that in mind I have signed up with Yay.com and bought myself a Grandstream 801 ATA. I configured the ATA using Yay's settings, plugged it into a lan port on my Hub2 and it works. It may be that because I already have voice from TalkTalk they have changed the settings on my router before they shipped it to me. If that is the case then they should be able to make the same changes to your Hub2. My understanding is that if they are selling you full fibre broadband without voice they are obliged to sell you a system which allows for a third party voip providers system to work. I have also encountered the helpfulness of customer services who seem to me to be lacking in training, lacking in listening skills and have an ability to make up answers as they see fit. All is fine until something goes wrong and then it becomes very frustrating for anyone with even the slightest bit of knowledge or experience.

Message 42 of 76

Thank you for that link. Trying to deal with TalkTalk on the phone is horrific. I can't tell you how many hours I've already spent doing that in order to prevent the very issues I am now experiencing. I have spoken with billing about the leaving fee and they've confirmed it should not be charged but I suspect it will be and that'll be another battle. I have to wait for the bill so time will tell. Tech Support refused to put me through to someone who could tell me about the router settings because they insisted VOIP would not work as I don't have a phone service via TalkTalk! I could hear a manager in the background telling the call handler what to say to me but she wouldn't speak with me directly. It was so frustrating. I then asked to be put through to Fibre Sales as they were the ones that told me I could run VOIP over 150 and after almost an hour on the call I got cut off during the transfer. It was the final straw... so I posted here. This is all made so much worse by not having a landline to call from. Trying to hold long conversations on my mobile is awful for my headaches, and when I use the VOIP on the PC I can't trust it not to drop so there is just no point in using it for such calls

Anyway, I do appreciate your input here and thank you for your apology. I get why you were frustrated with me, but in truth the only reason I mentioned my IT background was in support of what I was trying to convey about why I don't use WiFi. So many people think it's "all in your head" but I would not have jeopardised what was at the time a blossoming career unless it was a very real problem that forced me to retreat from everyday life. And that is exactly what I have had to do because anyone with an RFR sensitivity does not fit into this world anymore! I've accepted that, but whenever I get asked why don't I use WiFi I brace myself for the backlash and I'm honestly sick to death of it! 

I've got to go and deal with a leaking pipe now, so will go through your link a little later. Again, many thanks for your help. 

0 Likes

Message 43 of 76

Hi, TT support will have to confirm if the SIP ALG is disabled on the router. I believe it is by default. With regards to QoS, this isn't essential to VOIP other than to prioritise critical services such as VOIP, in theory it should not stop it connecting. SIP ALG will only likely affect incoming calls not outgoing and not the phone connection. (See link and comments below)

I get you frustration in dealing with all this, apologies again if I have added to them.

The charges for the disconnection of your old service is frustrating given that you have stayed with TT, perhaps talk to their locality team/cancellations team as a house move.

There doesn't seem to be any history of bOnline working with TalkTalk but reference to a Yealink phone.

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Technology/How-to-setup-Yealink-T42S-for-VOIP/td-p/2522284.

Depending on the config with bOnline you may or may not require SIP ALG based on the information in the above link. I have only used it on routers where I have control of these and have them turned off. If its off and not working may be TT can enable it to test again but there will be more to and fro-ing.

0 Likes

LivingWise
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 44 of 76

I have just had an email come in from bOnline as follows:

"We have gotten feedback with the ticket and the MAC and IP is not blocked with the supplier. It is most likely the internet connection, they have asked to double check that the SIP ALG is disabled on the router."

0 Likes

Message 45 of 76

"Talk to bOnline regarding your VOIP system. They will need to provide SIP config details for the N300, the Yealink as you mentioned was supplied by them so should be pre-configured. If you plug the YeahLink in to the router does it establish a connection."

I detailed the onboarding session I had with bOnline in my first post. They configured the Yealink their end and we added it to the Router. When I plug the Yealink into the router is goes searching for an IP then returns with 'No Service'. That is as far as we have gotten. bOnline advised checking if SIP ALG was off, and to turn QOS on. I cannot do either as the UI does not allow me to check such settings. I only hope that, as you said, the SIP ALG is off by default. They suggested the IP blacklisting and instability of connection may be issues. I said I would contact TalkTalk to try to find out more. When I did the speed check I was pleased to see 93 but when I spoke with TalkTalk they said this was below the minimum of 120 so that's why I felt perhaps that was also part of the issue in terms of the quality of the service not being quite right. It's another reason I didn't think to check the speed capability of my devices. Add into the mix that I cannot log into my online TalkTalk Dashboard, and many things don't seem to be working right... including TalkTalk not closing down my existing BB & Phone service at my old house and now trying to charge me £132.80 to do so! Just another nice little pile of cr*p I'm having to deal with today!

The N300 was not supplied by bOnline so I have not spoken to them about that yet. I was hoping to get the Yealink working first so I could get to grips with the VOIP settings and then tackle the N300. 

I agree, the whole analogue switch off is a nightmare and, like with EVs, the infrastructure is simply not in place to cater to it countrywide. In fact, we have two 'vulnerable' adults in this house my mother and myself, due to health problems, so I really am miffed that setting up VOIP is so difficult, not to mention expensive! 

So, in answer to your question... the Yealink is connected to the network (it is visible in the Router interface) but it cannot establish an IP connection. 

0 Likes

mrwrighty
Enlightened One
Private Message
Message 46 of 76

Sorry please accept my apologies, you don't need to explain yourself at all, but when people throw in comments about having worked in IT there is perhaps an expectation of a level of understanding, for that I apologise.

My query regarding a business or consumer install was based on your mention of an office and 6 phones, clearly more than a typical home would need and business users have a business support line which is why I asked. Consumer support is handled here on the forum.

I sympathise with the VOIP issue, you are not alone. The roll out of this has been handled extremely poorly. I'm not referring to TalkTalk here but VOIP in general when replacing copper services. People also do not realise that unlike a copper service if your internet or power goes off so does your phone service. For power issues you can invest in a UPS to keep the ONT, phones and router going but if the outage takes down the internet then you are stuck with no phone services, either way so if you are vulnerable (no reference to yourself) a mobile phone is an absolute must have.

Talk to bOnline regarding your VOIP system. They will need to provide SIP config details for the N300, the Yealink as you mentioned was supplied by them so should be pre-configured. If you plug the YeahLink in to the router does it establish a connection.

I'm happy to be of assistance where possible. I do currently work in IT and support many many business customers. Wiring a big old house will not be easy but will guarantee a faster more reliable connection especially from a home business perspective, but you will need to resolve the ethernet issues you are experiencing. 

Again my apologies if I offended you, it was never my intention.

0 Likes

Message 47 of 76

"This has been a long convoluted route to your issue."

I very much appreciate the help you are offering but I'm not sure I deserved quite such harsh criticism. I haven't worked in IT for over a decade, so forgive me if I'm not up to speed like I once was. Technology has moved on since I was actively involved in it. I didn't think about the limitation of my PC connection speed - my bad! The fastest BB service I've ever had was 65 mbps so it just didn't occur to me to check it.

I have clearly stated that I am aware of the limitations of the power line adapters but I am using what facilities I have available to me at this moment in time. The Yealink is not working regardless of whether it is plugged directly into the router or the adapter so that proves the adapters are not the issue at this present time. Something else is preventing the Yealink from working. 

I have tried to be as descriptive as possible with my fist post, but I have told you I have just moved here, I'm living out of boxes, I'm dealing with all manner of people coming and going right now as well as the Solicitors regarding completion... frankly I'm at the end of my tether and feeling quite on the edge. I've never used VOIP before so I have no knowledge of it whatsoever in terms of configuration. How the heck any 'normal' person is supposed to navigate setting up a phone system when moving from analogue to digital is beyond me! 

As I am typing this I have just seen your last comment about this being a business installation! It is not. I am a home customer. My husband does admin from home when not travelling for his company. I have a PC. He has his laptop. We both have a room with a desk - that is what I refer to as offices! This is not a business! I have one corded deskphone as I can't have long conversations on DECT phones due to the headaches from RFR. I have six cordless phones because we have a large house with many rooms over two levels and I care for my 86 year old mother who lives with us, so we use these as intercoms between the rooms and to avoid missing calls because I have a physical disability that makes running to pick up a phone in another area of the house very difficult. I have to attend to my mum day and night, so intercomming between bedrooms is very important during the night.

I can't quite believe I feel the need to justify my setup to this degree, and I feel I'm being unnecessarily criticised when all I am is absolstely desperate for help in getting my broadband and phone system working correctly!

0 Likes

mrwrighty
Enlightened One
Private Message
Message 48 of 76

The stability of the box shouldn't affect the stability of the connection as they should be a loop of cable from the fibre to absorb any minor movement. It sounds like a poor install if I'm honest.

There is no basis for the ONT being faulty. Your internet is working albeit at lower speeds because of your hardware limitations (100mbps). If the lights are on, it is working.

Forget the speed issues you cannot test effectively. You have already said you only get 100mbps at your desktop (worrying from an install point of view and for someone who has worked in IT!!)

You say you have office and 6 phones is this a business installation and not a consumer installation.

0 Likes

Message 49 of 76

"Just to confirm this is a TalkTalk hub2 and not the original TT hub. The original only had 100mbit ports the hub 2 has 1GbE ports."

All I know is that I was told this is a Wi-Fi Hub 2 as advertised currently for the TalkTalk Fibre 65 package. It's actual make and model is the Sagemcom FAST 5464-2.T4.

Is there a chance that the ONT could be faulty? It's a BT Openreach box that was here before we moved in but it is not very stable on the wall - moves quite a bit. Not sure if it's on a bracket of some sort and didn't want to pull it to test it in case I damaged it! We didn't have a TalkTalk Engineer visit the site because the fibre was already here. I've used all the new cables that came with the devices (Router, Yealink, N300) and I've swapped out various cables for my Tablet in case the cable was the issue. I'm getting the same speedtests on my PC and Tablet so that is at least consistent. Is there anything else I can try my end now?

0 Likes

mrwrighty
Enlightened One
Private Message
Message 50 of 76

This has been a long convoluted route to your issue.

You said you have worked in IT but clearly there are issues you are not clear on especially expectations from the equipment you have or knowing where the limitations might exist. I don't wish to be rude, but there has been a lot of to and fro here with piecemeal information to build the bigger picture. From an IT perspective always give as much information as possible regarding your setup and what you have tried. The 100mbps speeds at your ethernet port would have instantly highlighted the issue of speed.

I still believe the instability is down to your internal installation. I would not be running telephones on power line adapters for sure, they will not work or at least not be reliable.

Your Gigaset N300 IP Base Station will need to be configured to your with the SIP config for your VOIP provider before it does anything. Same goes for your YeaLink it will need configuring with the 3rd party SIP details, but again do not expect these to work over power link adapters or if they do not be reliable.

0 Likes

Message 51 of 76

"And there my friend is your issue. You won't get a speed test above 100mbps."

OK... I accept that. I can live quite happily with the speed... that's not really my main concern. The issue is the instability, the account access, the blacklisted IP and my non-working VOIP phone! Any advice on those please?

0 Likes

mrwrighty
Enlightened One
Private Message
Message 52 of 76

Local Area Connection Status shows speed of 100Mbps

And there my friend is your issue. You won't get a speed test above 100mbps on your PC.

So faulty cable or misconfigured ethernet port or faulty port on the Hub 2.

Just to confirm this is a TalkTalk hub2 and not the original TT hub. The original only had 100mbit ports the hub 2 has 1GbE ports.

0 Likes

Message 53 of 76

"is it showing a 1 GbE connection when connected to the router, this would prove your cable is OK"

Local Area Connection Status shows speed of 100Mbps

0 Likes

Message 54 of 76

"Hope it is Cat5e or Cat6a nothing else."

Cable is Cat5e 

0 Likes

mrwrighty
Enlightened One
Private Message
Message 55 of 76

I have a 2019 Dell XPS 8930 i7-9700 running Killer E2400 Gigabit Ethernet.

OK is it showing a 1 GbE connection when connected to the router, this would prove your cable is OK. If not the cable is faulty. Hope it is Cat5e or Cat6a nothing else.

0 Likes

Message 56 of 76

"OK I don't want to pick holes in your set up, but a faulty cable could also reduce speeds to below 100mbps if incorrectly terminated or damaged."

I've tried a number of different cables between the ONT and router and Tablet. Same results. I do not have another long cable to swap out between the router and PC.

"What happens is you connect directly to the ONT ethernet port and run a speed test."

Just did that - Speedtest result from PC directly connected to ONT: 94.83

"How old is your PC does it have gigabit ethernet. If so is it connecting at 1gbe or less check the hardware stats/properties on the PC. This is critical. If you only see FE or 100 then this also will be an issue."

I have a 2019 Dell XPS 8930 i7-9700 running Killer E2400 Gigabit Ethernet.

0 Likes

mrwrighty
Enlightened One
Private Message
Message 57 of 76

VOIP through CityFibre should only affect the ability for TT to provide a VOIP service not stop you using a 3rd party service.

Also see my previous comment about your tests and connections.

0 Likes

Message 58 of 76

"With regards to VOIP SIP ALG I believe it is disabled by default on the router. There is no UI to adjust these settings."

Yes, I had found no UI for such settings. I had read that on the forum here but it seemed to be dependant upon having the latest software which is why I posted above that my Sagemcom FAST 5464-2.T4 was running SG4K100158 ... which hopefully means it is the latest and hence it is disabled 🤞 Is there any way of finding this out for sure? I'm guessing the QOS can't be adjusted or checked also... not sure how important that is for VOIP but it was another suggestion by bOnline. In some respects, it would have been great if it was the router causing the VOIP not to work as what you've posted above about CityFibre is very very worrying 😳 Can anyone advise if TalkTalk blocks VOIP on FF 150?

0 Likes

mrwrighty
Enlightened One
Private Message
Message 59 of 76

OK I don't want to pick holes in your set up, but a faulty cable could also reduce speeds to below 100mbps if incorrectly terminated or damaged.

What happens is you connect directly to the ONT ethernet port and run a speed test.

How old is your PC does it have gigabit ethernet. If so is it connecting at 1gbe or less check the hardware stats/properties on the PC. This is critical. If you only see FE or 100 then this also will be an issue.

0 Likes

mrwrighty
Enlightened One
Private Message
Message 60 of 76

With regards to VOIP SIP ALG I believe it is disabled by default on the router. There is no UI to adjust these settings.

0 Likes