cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

Download Speed Discrepancy

JonHC1
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 14 of 14

We recently got a replacement TalkTalk router (the Sagecom model) after having trouble with our internet which turned out to be a damaged exterior cable. I’ve been looking on the routers dashboard and noticed that the download speed is stated at 40.1 Mbps, however when I run a speed test, the result is actually lower (screen grabs below). I did the test after disabling WiFi and only having 1 computer connected via ethernet. The result of 33.3 Mbps on the screen grab is actually pretty good as it normally hovers around the 26Mbps mark. Is this normal? Is it using some of that download speed to do a speed test, or is there some setting in the router  stopping me getting the full 40Mbps the router claims?

DashboardDashboardSpeed TestSpeed Test

0 Likes
13 REPLIES 13

Message 1 of 14

Hi Jon

If the speed drops any lower or if you experience any further issues then please let us know.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 2 of 14

Thanks Debbie, I figured that might be the case.

Thanks for the help.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 14

Hi Jon

The sync speed is 41mb. The throughput speed will always be slightly less than the sync speed to the router.

Thanks

Debbie

Message 4 of 14

Hi,

The performance has been pretty much the same whether on Ethernet or 5GHz.

0 Likes

Message 5 of 14

Morning,

Thanks for the update. Can I just confirm, how has the overall performance been since you changed this?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 6 of 14

Hi Debbie,

Did a test this morning using 5GHz and pretty much the same result as using Ethernet connection yesterday. Speeds shown below.

0 Likes

Message 7 of 14
0 Likes

Message 8 of 14

Hi Debbie,

No, I haven't. I'll try that tonight or tomorrow morning and let you know.

Message 9 of 14

Hi JonHC1

Have you tried running the speed test when connected on 5ghz?

0 Likes

Message 10 of 14

Hi Debbie,

I left the router off overnight and ran a test this morning. The results are slightly higher, but still a discrepancy between the 2 readings. Not a huge deal, I'm more curious than anything but obviously, if I can get the speed the dashboard states, that would be much better.

0 Likes

Message 11 of 14

Hi JonHC1

Thank you. Powering down the router for a full 30 minutes starts a new session and will hopefully increase the throughput speed.

Please let us know how you get on.

Thanks again.

Debbie

Message 12 of 14

I'll do that tonight when I'm home from work.

Thanks Debbie.

Debbie-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 13 of 14

Hi JonHC1

Please can you power down the router for a full 30 minutes and then run another speed test?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes