cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

Fibre 65 constantly dropping signal

Ronnie66
Chatterbox
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 16 of 16

I joined TalkTalk in March this year and have had consistent issues with internet dropping connection multiple times a day. Some devices such as my printer and smart meter constantly need re-setting. Also as I work from home my connection is so poor at times that I drop out of Teams meetings or lose work. I have tried all the usual attempts to improve the signal in the house of course and I never had any issues with my previous provider. I am incredibly disappointed with the TalkTalk service and will unfortunately have to consider terminating my contract. 

15 REPLIES 15

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 1 of 16

Hi @Ronnie66 

The 5GHz band will always be the way to go, I notice that your Windows PC is only using the 2.4GHz band and because of that, you are getting a really slow performance. There is a possibility that you could move the 5GHz channel, but first off I am concerned about something else. You said that you used to be with Sky before. When you left them, did you turn the Sky router off? Is the HP Envy 5000 series printer yours?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 2 of 16

Hi @Ronnie66 

Thanks for the ZIP file, I will try & have a look at this later this afternoon, if I get the time.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

0 Likes

Ronnie66
Chatterbox
Private Message TalkTalk
Private Message TalkTalk

Message 3 of 16

zip file attached

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 4 of 16

Wired connections are Ethernet, are you sure that you don't mean wireless? Anyway, if you can attach the zip file as you mentioned in your PM to this thread I will try & get on the case as soon as I can.

Keith

0 Likes

Message 5 of 16

yes, i have wired connections (not ethernet) such as a digital picture frame and a smart meter. The digital photo frame faces me when I am sat down and at least 3 times every hour it loses connection

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 6 of 16

Hi @Ronnie66 

Do not worry about interpreting the results, I will do that for you. I will send a PM to you that contains a link for a guide of mine on Wi-Fi interference. It is quite long (about 30 pages), but you will probably only need to look at three or four pages in total. Initially look at the section called "Are you suffering from interference – prove it first". This is the first link in the table of contents. This section includes full details of free Wi-Fi analysers that I recommend for Windows, Windows phone, Android and Apple operating systems. However, I have no way of testing the Apple product. Select the analyser of your choice & my guide explains how to use it.

If you are using Wi-Fi Scanner, then please attach the zip file to this thread. As soon as I have downloaded it, I will remove the attachment from your post, to preserve your privacy.

With all other analysers, please follow my instructions below.

Collect the screenshots that I require and include them in your reply.

Please post the screenshots to me in a PM (to protect your privacy), which I have requested in my guide. No photos please as they can be difficult to read, because the text can get out of focus when zoomed in. Please ensure that the analyser window is maximised (if Windows) before taking the screenshots & upload them via the "Insert Photos" button (in a mobile browser it's the picture icon) on the post editor's toolbar with the Size parameter set to Large.

Keith

0 Likes

Message 7 of 16

Hello,

Thank you. I've run a test on the line now which hasn't detected a fault. The connection also looks stable. Do you have any devices connected wired which also lose connection at the same time?

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Ronnie66
Chatterbox
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 8 of 16

cant say I have ever seen an orange light, no. I am happy to receive your guide. Will look at it and reply later. Thank you

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 9 of 16

If that does not go orange at all, I would think that this is a WiFi issue, unless you have any Ethernet ports that play up at the same time.

My help would involve trying to help you optimise your Wi-Fi connection. The next stage involves sending out a guide to you to help you get me some important diagnostic results so that I can analyse them for you and recommend changes to your router configuration to solve them.

I only send this out to people who request it.

Keith

0 Likes

Ronnie66
Chatterbox
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 10 of 16

oops. sorry. FAST5464. There is one constant white light on the front of the router

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 11 of 16

That is the Post Code of Sagemcom in France. You have either the FAST5364 or FAST5464. The most important thing first, is what is the state of the light on the front of the router, which should identify if it is an issue with the router or fibre.

WiFi interference can change by the minute, so just because you didn't have any issue with a previous ISP, will have no bearing on the levels of WiFi interference you may or may not be getting. I can help a lot with this if you want, the choice is yours.

The information below is provided by TalkTalk, for confirmation please contact @Debbie-TalkTalk or@Michelle-TalkTalk.

KeithFrench is one of our valued Community Stars and can help with a range of issues related to wireless and networking. At times he may ask you to send him test results via a Private Message to help analyse/diagnose an issue. Although Keith does not work for TalkTalk, he very kindly shares his time and knowledge to help with others.

If you need further help or, if we need to take any details such as personal information about your account like phone numbers, account numbers etc. one of the TalkTalk team will jump in and help out.

Keith

0 Likes

Ronnie66
Chatterbox
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 12 of 16

Hi Keith. The router is a sagemcom CS10005. I understand all you are saying, however I cannot understand why I never had any of these issues with my previous provider. I did try the 5GHz band temporarily but not much improvement if any tbh. One of my devices can only be used on the 2.4GHz though so had to change back. Interestingly this device is a bird camera at the bottom of the garden and has not lost signal half as many times as my printer, work laptop, digital photoframe and Netflix/BBC iplayer, smart meter etc which makes me think the problem is within the house however as I mentioned, never an issue with Sky (I only changed provider because of the price but beginning to think I made a huge mistake :()

0 Likes

Ronnie66
Chatterbox
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 13 of 16

updated

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 14 of 16

Hi Ronnie,

Can you please update your community profile to include your:

• Name
  • TalkTalk Telephone number
  • Alternative contact number

We'll then look into this further. Please do not post this information on this thread. Once you've updated your profile please post in your topic to confirm it's updated.

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 15 of 16

Slow speed, intermittent dropouts, breaks in the signal, no signal on some or all devices or no internet access might be caused by Wi-Fi interference from other local networks, which can also lead to a permanent reduction in speed. No ISP can be responsible for your local environment, this is mainly a byproduct of the popularity of Wi-Fi.

However, other factors should be investigated first. When this happens, what are the lights showing on the front of the router? Do you have any wired connections & if so, how do they perform?

Generally speaking, the 2.4GHz band suffers a lot more from interference than the much faster 5GHz band, but the 2.4GHz one can sometimes have a better range, but this all depends on your local area.

In other words, I try to help you optimise your Wi-Fi connection. If you would like me to help you, please can you specify the make/model of TalkTalk router that you are using?

Keith

0 Likes