cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

Fibre 65 drops from 40mbps to 3mbps until router reboot

lockedoutagain
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 71 of 71

Since last week my speed has been degrading from a steady 40mbps to 3mbps or less (tested on wired connection). This happens over a few hours. If I reboot the router the speed comes back up. The router thinks that my speed is between 45 and 50mbps.  Any idea what might be happening? I don't think that anything has changed on my network.

0 Likes
70 REPLIES 70

Message 21 of 71

Hi @Debbie-TalkTalk , router arrived today. I've just plugged in and the initial download speed is 25Mb (plugged into master socket, ethernet connection, laptop right next to router, nothing else wifi off, nothing else connected). Before the swap, speed had dropped to a fairly constant 5Mb despite the router saying it had sync'd at 33Mb.  I'll leave it a few days to see where we are.

best wishes

0 Likes

Message 22 of 71

Hi lockedoutagain

Thanks for your reply.

I've ordered the router for testing, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

If you experience the same fault with the replacement router then the next step will be an Openreach engineer visit.

Debbie

Message 23 of 71

FWIW I can't run a connection test from here:

lockedoutagain_0-1705920592478.png

0 Likes

Message 24 of 71

Hi, OK lets try another router. I'm still leaning towards it being the copper from the cabinet, because it seems worse when the weather is bad and we've just had that storm over the weekend and we pretty much lost connection. But I suppose we should eliminate every other other as well.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 25 of 71

Hi lockedoutagain

Would you like me to send another router for testing?

0 Likes

Message 26 of 71

I’m typing this on my phone on 4G (which also isn’t great here), broadband service is now unusable, frequent disconnects and only 5Mb when it is connected. 

0 Likes

Message 27 of 71

Just to clarify, I think you sent a router years ago, it didn't solve the problem at the time, I sent it back I think. I don't have it now.

0 Likes

Message 28 of 71

Hi @Michelle-TalkTalk , no I have not received a router for testing during this set of problems. FYI here is my current router dashboard, it's getting worse each day:

lockedoutagain_0-1705680089915.png

0 Likes

Message 29 of 71

Hi again,

Can I just confirm before I pass this over to an engineer, have we ever sent you a replacement router for testing purposes?

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 30 of 71

Current speed:

lockedoutagain_0-1705649359363.png

0 Likes

Message 31 of 71

I guess I don't have any choice but to accept potential charges, but it seems strange that with an intermittent fault if the engineer doesn't find a problem on the day I will be liable for charges?

Availability next week:

Mon PM

Tue AM

Wed AM & PM

Fri AM

Following week commencing 29/1:

Mon AM & PM

Tue AM & PM

Wed AM & PM

0 Likes

Message 32 of 71

Morning,

I'm really sorry to hear this. Please can you provide some availability AM (8-1) and PM (1-6) and also confirm acceptance of possible time related charges and we can arrange this for you.

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 33 of 71

@lockedoutagain if Talktalk needs to set up an appointment for an engineer, you need to accept potential charges.

It's worth taking a look at this now, so that you can discuss this with staff during the day:

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/Engineer-charges/ta-p/2207291

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.

Message 34 of 71

Hi, it's been terrible all day, dropping out ("you are not connected to the internet") or slowing down to unusable speeds. Could you arrange an engineer please? thanks 🙂

PS I have replaced the master socket faceplate and we are now plugged into that.

0 Likes

Message 35 of 71

Line test is showing around 35 disconnections yesterday.

Yes you can do, just let us know if you need us to arrange the engineer visit

Chris

0 Likes

Message 36 of 71

Some of those disconnections might be me unplugging and re-plugging?

However it dropped completely about 10 last night.  

Some speed tests:

Speed testsSpeed tests

I just got an email saying Talktalk has complete a line test - shall I give it another day to see what happens, then call the engineer?

0 Likes

Message 37 of 71

OK thanks. There were a lot of disconnection yesterday too. We can arrange an engineer visit to investigate further, if you'd like us to to do this please let us know and we'll confirm some details with you

Chris

0 Likes

Message 38 of 71

And another test a few mins later:

lockedoutagain_1-1705507292392.png

0 Likes

Message 39 of 71

OK have plugged a filter into the test socket, and restarted the router. It's pretty much the same, running at about 30Mb with occasional drops. This test was done 5 mins ago:

lockedoutagain_0-1705507150455.png

So basically the same it it was.

0 Likes

Message 40 of 71
0 Likes