cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

Fibre 65 drops from 40mbps to 3mbps until router reboot

lockedoutagain
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 71 of 71

Since last week my speed has been degrading from a steady 40mbps to 3mbps or less (tested on wired connection). This happens over a few hours. If I reboot the router the speed comes back up. The router thinks that my speed is between 45 and 50mbps.  Any idea what might be happening? I don't think that anything has changed on my network.

0 Likes
70 REPLIES 70

Message 1 of 71

Hi lockedoutagain

Thank you. If you do experience any issues with the performance of the connection then please let us know.

Debbie 🙂

0 Likes

Message 2 of 71

Actually I always run a speed test wired when running from the TalkTalk site! But interestingly get the same results from my mobile anyway.

Thanks 👍

Message 3 of 71

Hi lockedoutagain

That's great, thanks for letting us know 🙂

If you receive this message again when running a speed test then it would be worth running a wired test to see how the speed compares.

I have sent you a Private Message with a link to a short survey for the Community.

Thanks again.

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 4 of 71

Hi, no problems so far, everything working fine, no dropouts or buffering 😊👍

Bit confused about this though - speed test this morning shows slow router speed yesterday (Thursday) but we didn't notice anything.

lockedoutagain_0-1706868834141.png

lockedoutagain_1-1706868915975.png

Message 5 of 71

Morning,

How has your connection been over the last few days?

Thanks

Michelle 🙂

Message 6 of 71

Morning,

We'll check back in with you at the end of the week to see how you're getting on and if the speeds have remained consistent.

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 7 of 71

OK that did the trick. 😀

lockedoutagain_0-1706544035388.png

Hopefully we are back to normal. Phew! I'll hang on to the new router if that's OK, even with the damaged line it was more stable and it seems quicker than the old one (used to get about 38Mb).

Thanks again 👍

0 Likes

Message 8 of 71

Hi lockedoutagain

Thanks for keeping us updated.

It would be worth powering down the router for a full 30 minutes and then running a speed test (to see if the throughput speed increases)

0 Likes

Message 9 of 71

Just spoken to the engineer. He says:

• The fault is in the road some way from the manhole cover and cannot be easily fixed. He thinks that it was damaged when the road was dug up. (The last time was when they when they laid fibre).
  • All of the spare lines have the same fault, apart from one which he has given to us. It might be that the fault shows particularly in wet weather because the multicore could be  sitting in water. If anyone else reports problems they will have to close the road and replace the cable.
  • He says to leave the router switched on and it might take 7 days to settle down. It's currently sync'd at 47Mb, but the speed test from my account page shows 20.1Mb at the moment, which is what it was saying before the Openreach visit. Should I power cycle the router?

Thanks for your help with this and I must say the Openreach engineer was really helpful.

best wishes

0 Likes

Message 10 of 71

Good afternoon,

How are you getting on? Have the engineers been back in touch?

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 11 of 71

Good morning,

Thanks for the update and we'll check back in with you later this afternoon to see how you're getting on.

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 12 of 71

I would keep hold of the new router until Openreach have sorted things out at their end. Then you can test both side by side to check for any significant variances and decide which one to return accordingly. 

Message 13 of 71

Hi, quick update,

Openreach engineer came to the house today (Saturday) and asked to check inside as he was having trouble locating the fault. He eliminated anything my side of the master socket and traced the problem back to an intermittent short 120m from the house. (I'm pretty sure this is the same place there was a problem last year). He said he would need help accessing the cable, I believe it's underground and the access point is in the road. He will return on Monday to complete the job with another engineer.

Since the router was not at fault, do you want me to swap the new one out and return it?

0 Likes

Message 14 of 71

Hi lockedoutagain

Thanks for your reply.

The fault has been passed straight over to a line engineer, no visit to the property needed at the moment.

I will continue to monitor for additional updates.

Thanks again.

Debbie

Message 15 of 71

Yes please Debbie, and I understand the thing about charges.

My current availability next week (may change so if you can confirm as quickly as possible that would be great):

Mon 29: am

Tue 30: am & pm

Wed 31 am & pm

Fri 2: am

and

Tue 6: am & pm

Wed 7: am & pm

thanks

0 Likes

Message 16 of 71

Hi lockedoutagain

Thanks for your reply.

I've completed another line test and the same fault has been detected.

The next step will be an Openreach engineer visit to the property. Would you like me to arrange this visit?

0 Likes

Message 17 of 71

OK now have the new router connected to the test socket using the filter that came with the new router.

Message 18 of 71

No, I'll swap it over now. Speed the last couple of days has been just about usable (10 to 20Mb) and fewer drop outs, but still getting them.

0 Likes

Message 19 of 71

Hi lockedoutagain

I've checked the connection stats this morning and the line is in sync at just over 10mb but the test is also detecting a fault.

Is the new router currently connected at the test socket?

0 Likes

Message 20 of 71

Hi lockedoutagain

Thanks for keeping us updated.

I will check the connection stats again tomorrow and I will post back on this thread.

Debbie

0 Likes