cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

Fibre 65 drops from 40mbps to 3mbps until router reboot

lockedoutagain
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 71 of 71

Since last week my speed has been degrading from a steady 40mbps to 3mbps or less (tested on wired connection). This happens over a few hours. If I reboot the router the speed comes back up. The router thinks that my speed is between 45 and 50mbps.  Any idea what might be happening? I don't think that anything has changed on my network.

0 Likes
70 REPLIES 70

Message 41 of 71

Haha OK I'll see if I can find one.

Since refitting the faceplate and switching the router back on, it says it has sync'd at 45Mb but here is a speed test I've just done (wired connection)

lockedoutagain_0-1705413282136.png

0 Likes

Message 42 of 71

Hi lockedoutagain,

Yes, you will need to connect the router to the test socket with a micro-filter

Chris

0 Likes

Message 43 of 71

OK I have tried to do as you suggested. However, the socket behind the faceplate is different to the plug on the end of the cable. The socket looks like a telephone socket, but the plug is smaller. It would fit into the router socket of the ADSL filter we used to have to use with the old Master socket. Does that make sense? 

0 Likes

Message 44 of 71

Sorry, I have been super busy. I'll switch to the test socket and get back to you.

0 Likes

Message 45 of 71
0 Likes

Message 46 of 71

Hi lockedoutagain

If you squeeze the 2 clips on either side of the socket gently then the faceplate should come away to reveal the test socket.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 47 of 71

Hi Debbie, there is no lower plate on the master socket, it looks like this:

lockedoutagain_0-1704786457698.jpeg

The router is plugged into the left hand socket. There is nothing in the right hand one.

kind regards

Message 48 of 71

Hi lockedoutagain

Thanks for your reply.

Have you removed the lower section of the faceplate and connected the router directly at the test socket? This would also be worth trying, this will help eliminate any faults with the faceplate or internal wiring.

0 Likes

Message 49 of 71

Hi, the router is plugged directly into the Master Socket (labelled as a 5C). After I saw your message I unplugged it at both ends of the cable and re-plugged it. It seems to have been stable since. I could try getting another cable and see what that does.

Message 50 of 71

Hi lockedoutagain

I'm sorry to hear this.

The line test is showing a fault near or within the property. Is the router at the test socket at the moment?

0 Likes

Message 51 of 71

Thanks Debbie, I'll fill that in.

Just to let you know it went unstable again today, I ran a connection test from my dashboard and a fault has apparently been raised.

0 Likes

Message 52 of 71

Hi lockedoutagain

Ok no problem. I have sent you a Private Message with a link to a short survey for the Community.

Thanks again.

Debbie 🙂

0 Likes

Message 53 of 71

Thanks Debbie, I think I'll say this is resolved and start a new thread if I start to re-experience problems. Basically I am about 500m from the cabinet connected by an ancient bit of copper that has reliability issues, this happens every now and again.

Message 54 of 71

Hi lockedoutagain

Thanks for your reply.

If the connection continues to remain stable then DLM may start to adjust the profile again and increase the speed.

Debbie 🙂

0 Likes

Message 55 of 71

Hi, the router has syncd at 35.26 Mb, so slightly slower. But I have had no drop outs. A little bit of buffering on iPlayer last night but I guess that could be at their end. So, not quite back to where I was but usable 🙂

Message 56 of 71

Hi lockedoutagain

Thanks for your reply.

How's the connection/speed following the 30 minute power down?

0 Likes

Message 57 of 71

Hi Michelle,

As I mentioned I have been away over the Christmas period so haven't been able to check. Checked this morning and so far today the connection has been stable, although syncd at 37.92 Mbit, which is slower than I was getting before the current issue started. Later on, when no-one is using it, I'll switch off the router and leave it half and hour. I'll let you know how we get on.

kind regards 

0 Likes

Message 58 of 71

Good morning,

I've re-checked and can see that Openreach have now closed the fault. How has your connection been over the last few days?

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 59 of 71

Hi lockedoutagain,

No further updates at the moment. I'll check again later

Chris

0 Likes

Message 60 of 71

Morning,

I've re-checked and there are no additional updates as yet. The fault is still under investigation with Openreach. We'll continue to monitor for updates for you.

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes