cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

Fibre install and VPN not working

Jer999
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 37 of 37

Hi

I have just had fibre installed and am delighted with 75mb over ethernet.  However when I turn on my VPN the speed drops to 20mb.  Any idea what the problem might be and how to fix this?

Thanks in advance.

John

0 Likes
36 REPLIES 36

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 1 of 37

Well done.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

Message 2 of 37

OK, look forward to hearing how you get on

Chris

0 Likes

Jer999
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 3 of 37

I might be getting somewhere,  all be it slowly in every respect 😉  Just tried a different computer on the same ethernet connection and am getting the correct results.  So could it be a local computer issue I wonder?  I will let you know when I get to the bottom of it.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 4 of 37

Hmm, I have two issues, it looks like tracert is blocked over the VPN & I may have reached the limit of data this month as all I get now is an "Upgrade to premium" window.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

0 Likes

Jer999
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 5 of 37

Hi @KeithFrench 

Exactly the results I would expect to get but I'm not.  I wonder why?

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 6 of 37

Hi @Jer999 

My Fibre is sync'd at 80/20Mbps. Sppedtest results (Ookla) with the Bitdefender VPN established:-

On my Windows 11 PC (Ethernet) I get 75.28/18.73Mbps

On my Windows 10 PC (wireless) I get 75.20/18.81Mbps

Keith

0 Likes

Jer999
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 7 of 37

That's really interesting as I am still trying to find out why my speed slows to a crawl using BitDefender VPN and thought you might be using a MAC.  In case you are wondering why,  this is a copy of the email I have just sent to BitDefender support.

**********************************************************************************************************************************

1 I raised a post in my ISP community and one of the mods got back to me after doing a speed test with his results using BitDefender VPN.  His results were as expected.  75mbs with VPN and 77 without.  This got me thinking
I am on a win 10 computer I wondered if he was using a MAC?

2 I have an ipad which connects using WiFi so I was not expecting anything great in terms of speed however:

a)  Using the automatic connection I get 61mbs
b )  Using Hydra I get 65mbs
c ) Using IP sec I get 71 mbs
d ) Using Wireguard I get 71mbs

And that’s over WIFI.  This is what I would expect from my win 10 machine but am not getting.  My VPN on windows is different to that on the MAC in terms of settings and leads me to the conclusion this is the problem.

Any thoughts on this?
****************************************************************************************************************************************
SO you are using Win 10 / 11 and getting the correct speeds and are you using automatic IP?
0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 8 of 37

Hi @Jer999 

No, sorry, I don't have any Apple products.

Keith

0 Likes

Jer999
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 9 of 37

Hi Keith

My problem still exists.  One question for you.  Are you using a MAC?

0 Likes

Message 10 of 37
0 Likes

Jer999
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 11 of 37

Just an update on this thread.  The issue was Talk Talk not updating my account from broadband to fibre or outreach not adjusting the line correctly.  Either way according to my talk talk account I am now getting, occasionally the speed promised.  It does fluctuate but I am in the first10 days so will wait and see.

Hope it helps someone else.

0 Likes

Message 12 of 37
0 Likes

Message 13 of 37

Hi Chris

Thanks for the thought but I think I am on the way to a solution.  If it works out I will post it here.

Thnks

0 Likes

Message 14 of 37

You could try downloading a file to see what sort of download speeds you get 

Chris

0 Likes

Jer999
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 15 of 37

Hi Keith

Just another speed test service,  been pretty accurate in the past though.  Appreciate your help though and has taken me one step further to a solution.

Thanks 

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 16 of 37

I had never heard of fast.com, so no idea how accurate their results are.

Keith

0 Likes

Jer999
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 17 of 37

Hi Keith

The explanation is further down in this thread.  Short version:

Why fast.com gives me 75mb is odd.  Talk Talk speed says 35mb and poor service  Speedtest.net gives me the same. Conclusion I am actually getting 35mb.

Given that's the case and the fibre is working correctly,  firmware is up to date the only thing left would be my account being at fault.  I have tried to use Chat however the button does not work in my account.  Interestingly my account is also asking if I would like to upgrade to fibre and 77mb.  Simple answer is yes and I thought I had done.

Any idea where I go next?

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 18 of 37

I have tried the fast.com, TalkTalk & speedtest.net sites & all return the same speed for me. I am not at all sure what you mean by changing your account as it's stuck on 35M when you registered 75M with fast.com.

Keith

0 Likes

Jer999
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 19 of 37

Hi Keith

Given I think we know its a Talk Talk issue could you please point me in the right direction to get it solved.  I think the fibre is fine I just need a change to my account as it seems to be stuck on 35mb.

Thanks in advance for your help.

0 Likes

Jer999
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 20 of 37

Hi Keith

Thanks for that I am using ethernet so should get the same as you if not better.  I am terminating in the UK London and that is what I would expect but am not getting.  Given Talk Talk speed test is only showing 35mb I think the problem is with Talk Talk.

Very helpful 

Thanks

0 Likes