cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

Fibre900 eero pro 6 - low wifi speeds

GeoDou
First Timer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 27 of 27

Hello, I just upgraded from Fibre150 to Fibre900 and changed my vertical black router to the new eero Pro 6 that has been sent to me.

The problem that I have is that the wifi speeds next to the new eero Pro 6 are limited to 320Mbps (even though the speeds I am getting to the eero is 940Mbps).

The set up is exactly the same as previously (i.e. with my Fibre150 and the vertical black router) where I was getting the maximum wifi speeds of 150Mbps next to the router.   

Is this related to the eero Pro 6 settings or the actual router itself? 

0 Likes
26 REPLIES 26

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 21 of 27

Have you tried powering off the Eero & ONT for a full 30 mins & then try your PC connected directly to the ONT first, before I involve TalkTalk?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 22 of 27

Thanks for the screenshots that you have sent me from your phone @GeoDou. The connection between the phone & the router is currently shown as 390Mbps. So this will be the fastest speed you will get at the moment. I am not saying that the phone can't run faster, it is just that 390Mbps is the current speed.

The problem with the Fibre 500 or 900 service particularly, is the speed between the device & the router can restrict the overall internet speed test results. When a device connects to the router, it will use the slowest compatible speed that they both support, which in turn will be limited further by the quality of the WiFi signal. I am guessing here, but I would think that the fastest that your phone can support is 433MHz. Due to the very high overheads of wireless frames, this speed looks like it will probably never get much above 390Mbps.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 23 of 27

@GeoDou 

I have spent some time today searching the internet for your phone's WiFi specification. I said in my previous post it is Wi-Fi 5 (802.11ac). However, to know what speed it is capable of, I need to know the AC class that it supports. I don't expect you to understand this but perhaps you can ask the question of Samsung's tech support. The sort of answer I am looking for could be one of these, or maybe a higher one still:-

• AC600
  • AC1200
  • AC1300

Thanks.

Keith

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 24 of 27

No, not necessarily at all. When used over mobile data that is not the interface on the phone as its Wi-Fi adapter.

Looking your phone up on line, the WiFi specifications do not give enough detail, other than to say it works at 802.11ac. There are 802.11ac various speeds available depending on the chipset used in the device's WiFi adapter & that may well prove difficult to find out. They start from 433Mbps , going up to 867Mbps and beyond. Plus you will need to have excellent signal quality to achieve those speeds. With WiFi, there are a lot of overheads within a WiFi frame and so the true speed will be much less. So if your phone only supports either of these speeds you will never have any chance of reaching anywhere close to 900Mbps, without buying a higher specification phone.

To start with Androids disclose some information about the connection to the router. To find this out in Android 13 (11 should be similar) go to:-

Settings > Network & Internet > Internet (your router's WiFi name (SSID)

Tap the gear icon next to your network and get me a screenshot of the full page. Then send this to me in a PM to protect your privacy.

The information below is provided by TalkTalk, for confirmation please contact @Debbie-TalkTalk or@Michelle-TalkTalk.

KeithFrench is one of our valued Community Stars and can help with a range of issues related to wireless and networking. At times he may ask you to send him test results via a Private Message to help analyse/diagnose an issue. Although Keith does not work for TalkTalk, he very kindly shares his time and knowledge to help with others.

If you need further help or, if we need to take any details such as personal information about your account like phone numbers, account numbers etc. one of the TalkTalk team will jump in and help out.

Keith

0 Likes

Message 25 of 27

Hi Keith,

Thanks for coming back to me. 

I am testing my eero pro 6 wifi speeds with my Samsung Galaxy A22 5G mobile phone through Ookla speed test app. 

I just carried a speed test by using my mobile network (5G in my area) and the speed that I got was 750Mbps so it seems that my mobile can deal with higher speeds. So, it should be able to record higher than 320Mbps that I currently have next to my eero pro 6, right? 

If my understanding is correct, is there something wrong with the router itself or the settings possibly?

Thanks

George 

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 26 of 27

Without some diagnostics it is impossible to say at the moment.

The Full Fibre 900 package often means that customers do achieve the speeds that they think they should (obviously around 900Mbps). This is very often not an issue or design of the 900Mbps service, but the connection between their devices and the router. The Wi-Fi network adapters in these devices often cannot deliver speeds as fast as the fibre service can.

Take the example of some older Wi-Fi 5 (802.11ac) adapters that might work at speeds up to 433Mbps, when used in a perfect wireless environment, which most homes are not. When an internet speed test is performed, the speed achieved is down to the slowest link in the chain, namely the 433Mbps Wi-Fi adapter. Speed tests in this case might achieve somewhere around 400Mbps or less.

Older Ethernet connections can suffer as well. If a device only supports the 10/100Mbps standard, not the normal 1000M (1Gbps) or even the newer 2.5Gbps available on some desktop PCs, they are likely to only record 100Mbps on a speed test.

To get the 900Mbps on a speed test, that device must either have a minimum of a 1Gbps Ethernet connection or if wireless, a much faster WiFi adapter. This would be a higher specification Wi-Fi 5 (802.11ac) or Wi-Fi 6 (802.11ax) adapter. Even so, at these wireless speeds, signal quality must be near perfect (signal strength with very little Wi-Fi interference).

Keith