cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

Full Fibre installation

RoyD8
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 14 of 14

I had Fibre 65 with voice installed last week. However, the connection from an external pole was made at a gable wall of my bungalow. While I'm content with the speed in the room adjacent to the connection, the speed is much weaker in other rooms., particularly the living room where most use is made of wifi. The engineer who installed the fibre suggested that I get in touch with Talk Talk about providing "wifi extenders" as a possible solution. Advice would be most welcome. Thank you.

0 Likes
13 REPLIES 13

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 1 of 14

I will PM you a link for a guide of mine on Wi-Fi interference & initially look at the section called "Are you suffering from interference – prove it first". This section includes full details of Wi-Fi analysers that I recommend for Windows, Windows phone, Android and Apple operating systems. However, I have no way of testing the Apple product. Do not worry about interpreting the results, I will do that for you.

Please post the screenshots that I have requested in my guide (no photos please they can be difficult to read as text can get out of focus when zoomed in), from the analyser you are using (also in my attached guide). Please ensure that the analyser window is maximised (if Windows) before taking the screenshots & upload them via the "Insert Photos" button (in a mobile browser it's the picture icon) on the post editor's toolbar with the Size parameter set to Large. If they are too small, I will not be able to read them & although I can enlarge them, this puts the text out of focus. If you prefer PM them to me. If you do PM me, then please add a link in there to this thread, so that I can find it easily.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

RoyD8
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 2 of 14

Keith

All help greatly appreciated. I don't know what else I can do...................Thanks

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 3 of 14

My help could give you full coverage without any extra hardware, or if extenders or mesh are required, then their performance would be fully optimised. This is done by investigating & minimise all WiFi interference as much as possible.

However, from your last post, I can only assume that you have fully investigated Wi-Fi interference & therefore do not want my help.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

0 Likes

RoyD8
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 4 of 14

Keith, as I said at the outset of my enquiry, I would like the strength of my wifi to be consistent throughout my house but particularly in the room where it is mostly required for IPad use. Hence my interest in extenders as was suggested by the engineer who installed the fibre. Thanks

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 5 of 14

Do you want my help with this then?

Keith

0 Likes

RoyD8
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 6 of 14

I have away on holiday for the 4 weeks. No change and my problem remains. Do I need wifi extenders? 

0 Likes

Message 7 of 14

Hi Roy,

Wifi optimisation automatically changes the wifi channel to the least congested but some customers find that manually changing the channel to a specific channel gives better wifi connection overall. So disabling wifi optimisation just allows you to try different channels without the channel constantly automatically being changed overriding your manual settings

Chris

Message 8 of 14

Michelle

How will switching off wifi optimisation affect my wifi performance at home?

As I have mentioned previously, the room where wifi is mostly used is about 10 metres from where the router was installed. This room has solid brick walls and is not in direct line of the router. WIFI is this room is slow and much slower than when I didn't have full fibre installed.

Hope you can help, please.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 9 of 14

Morning,

Would you like us to switch the wifi optimisation off for you?

Thanks

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 10 of 14

Hi @RoyD8 

The reason that you hadn't heard back from me, is that I was waiting for you to tell me which router you had.

Have you had WiFi optimisation disabled on your router? If not, please can you ask TalkTalk to disable it for you.

Then I can start to help you, but not before.

Keith

0 Likes

Message 11 of 14

My problem remains unresolved, and I haven't heard back from Keith.

My new router is a SAGEMCOM- FAST5464.

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 12 of 14

Hello,

I can see that @KeithFrench has offered assistance. Please let us know how you get on.

Thanks

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 13 of 14

Slow speed, intermittent dropouts, breaks in the signal, no signal on some or all devices or no internet access might be caused by Wi-Fi interference from other local networks, which can also lead to a permanent reduction in speed. No ISP can be responsible for your local environment, this is mainly a byproduct of the popularity of Wi-Fi.

Generally speaking, the 2.4GHz band suffers much more from interference than the 5GHz band, but the 2.4GHz one can sometimes have a better range, but this all depends on your local area.

If you would like me to help you, please can you specify the make/model of TalkTalk router that you are using?

Keith

0 Likes