cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

Frequent drops

oibara
Participant
Private Message
Message 14 of 14

Hello all,

I have had great support here in the past with connectivity issues so thought I would ask about my current problem.

For the past week or two, I have suffered quite frequent drops. Some are small enough that they are only noticeable when playing online games or streaming quality dropping very low, but some are total disconnects for a minute or two. Not the end of the world but naturally disruptive.

Looking at my router's log (FAST5364 3.00, software version SG4K100158), it appears that the message accompanying these drops is either 'VDSL connectivity is down port 1' and 'TR-069 connectivity to (acs.talktalk.co.uk) has been closed' for the big ones, or a string of 'DNS name resolution failure (url)' for the smaller drops.

Is there anything evident on a line test suggesting an issue? You have my permission to run a test and disconnect me, that's fine. I will try plugging the router into the test socket soon and see if it has any results, but I might not notice the drops - I'll check the maintenance log in a day or two and see if anything comes up.

EDIT: I cannot do a test socket plugin as I have the Master Socket 5C, which does not appear to have anything behind the faceplate! Forget that bit.

Thankyou in advance!

0 Likes
13 REPLIES 13

Message 1 of 14

Morning,

I'm really glad to hear this and thanks for letting us know 🙂

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 2 of 14

Hi Michelle,

Thanks for the advice - I did that, and speeds have gone up from 8MBps to 25-30! Thank you very much.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 14

Morning,

I've just run a line test now which is clear. Could you try powering down the router for a full 30 minutes and then run another speed test please as this will reset the current session and can often increase the speed.

Thanks

oibara
Participant
Private Message
Message 4 of 14

edit: sorry! nevermind. confused by the test page.

0 Likes

Message 5 of 14

Morning,

No problem. We'll check back in with you at the beginning of next week just to ensure that everything has been ok.

Thanks 🙂

0 Likes

oibara
Participant
Private Message
Message 6 of 14

Morning Michelle,

Thank you - I've seen the engineer update but was waiting until I'd been using the net a while to find out. Unfortunately I've not had time to get on any games, which is always the easiest way to spot the drops, but certainly I've not noticed any full disconnects since. The router log does still suggest some DNS resolution failures but that might be nothing. I'll assume it's sorted for now but let you know if, once I can get on a game, I notice those drops.

Thank you again for the prompt help, Michelle and everybody else!

0 Likes

Message 7 of 14

Morning,

I can see that the fault has been resolved. Is your connection/stability now ok?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 8 of 14

Morning,

Thanks for the update. I can see that a line fault has been detected and this has been raised to Openreach to complete an external line investigation. We'll re-check the fault again in 24hrs for any further updates.

Thanks

0 Likes

oibara
Participant
Private Message
Message 9 of 14

Hi all,

Just a note that I've plugged into the test socket using a microfilter, run a test as Skynet described, and it appeared to pick up a fault. I can't tell any more than this at the moment, as the 'Active faults' page seems to be a bit blank at the moment:

oibara_0-1679337785923.png

More than happy for Talktalk to run your own test if you'd like; I won't be worried if there's a 5-10 minute disconnect. I'll leave it plugged into the test socket until I hear back (I assume not til later tomorrow as it's out of work hours).

0 Likes

Message 10 of 14

Hi

If you can test, that would be a great help. Just let us know here when you can and we will pick this up with you.

Karl.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

oibara
Participant
Private Message
Message 11 of 14

Hi both, 

Thank you very much for the replies. Sorry about the mix-up on the test socket; because the 5C faceplate doesn't use a microfilter I forgot I could find one and plug that into the test socket. I'm out at work for most of today, but I'll try to find a microfilter tonight and plug it into the test socket overnight and throughout Tuesday if necessary for your tests. If I can't find one in the house I'll let you know and schedule a day to do the test once I've purchased one.

Thanks again!

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 12 of 14

Morning,

I'm sorry to hear this. I've run a test on the line now which has detected a potential fault. Are you experiencing any issues with the voice service such as noise on the line or no dial tone? The NTE5C should have a test socket behind the faceplate. Would it be possible to try connecting the microfilter and router at the test socket so we can re-run the line test again please?

Thanks

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Private Message
Message 13 of 14

Hi @oibara,

The 5C socket will have a test socket inside, it will be the only socket you can see inside after removing the faceplate.

You can actually run a line test yourself if you want to. It would be worth going to the Service Centre to ‘run a connection test’ on your line, this will indicate if there is currently a fault affecting your service. You can also access this from the ‘My Account’ site.

The support team here will be back tomorrow, and will be able to run some more detailed tests.

0 Likes