cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

Help me contact someone that can actually help with Openreach GFast fault

coop3r
Team Player
Private Message
Message 78 of 78

Really suffering trying to deal with the TalkTalk support staff through the regular process with my fault. Is there any TalkTalk staff here that can actually put me in touch with someone that understands GFast and the Openreach faults process outside of the typical TalkTalk scripted workflow that seems to breakdown entirely with more complex issues?

For the last 2.5 years I have had a GFast service, previously with another ISP but 6 months ago I migrated this to TalkTalk. The copper distance between my master socket and the PCP cabinet where the GFast kit is installed is approx 30Meters and up until the 25/26th August my max sync rate with the cab in Openreach own data proved to me by Openreach install as well as engineer fault visits was around 600Mbps but capped at 330Mbps in line with the maximum profile Openreach allow customers to order. Nice short reliable line. Everything should be great. 

Unfortunately we recently suffered two prolonged 10-12 hour outages (that impacted not just me but also my neighbours using  with other ISPs) and since the second of these around 25/26 august my line will not sync at its previous speeds and has dropped and will no longer sync above 250Mbps, less than half of the original capability and 80Mbps less than I was previously getting at the 330 artificial profile cap.

I’ve raised faults through the normal processes and Openreach have now attended twice to try and resolve, both times confirming that there is an issue not just with my port, but the spare ports on the GFast kit in the cab as well which also will no longer sync at expected speeds, suggesting the entire card, or physical connector to the copper pairs is now faulty (perhaps damaged when swapping a faulty card after the outages?).

On the second visit the OR engineer finally raised an internal LLUMS case to have an additional card installed (there is actually a spare card but this has also been marked as faulty) so that they could try and shift me to a new non-faulty port to try and fix the issues. Happy days.  However, through the normal TalkTalk support process the fault tickets just keep getting closed as everything according to TalkTalk is working fine and the outcome from the Engineer visits requiring the new card and port shift is ignored. Leaving me the choice of going back at the start of the scripted troubleshooting process again to get the fault re-raised! A waste of everyone’s time!

How can I deal with someone within TalkTalk who can actually chase down a resolution to the LLUMS case with Openreach, resolve my fault properly and restore my service back to how it was working for the last 2.5 years before these outages? I do not feel considering this is confirmed as an Openreach problem that this is unreasonable? I don’t feel the community is the right place for this but even having ‘escalated’ these faults I do not feel that the ‘senior managers in support’ that only make outbound calls are actually any better than a normal script follower?

Thanks in Advance

0 Likes
77 REPLIES 77

Message 21 of 78

Hi Debbie,

Openreach have attended the Cab today and just finished. Confirmed vectoring card was replaced Friday and they have replaced the controller card today which resulted in a full rebuild of the DSLAM. The headend router in the exchange was also rebooted as they had some issues getting the DSLAM back online.

I now have service again although speed is still an issue, sync seems to be around 150/30 and getting 130/25 on a speedtest. Potentially the DLM profile needs resetting to get me back to normal? Is that something you can request/confirm from a test your side?

Many Thanks

0 Likes

Message 22 of 78

Morning coop3r

Openreach have provided this update this morning:

Engineering task raised to fit new hardware

So it appears that they have the equipment and the engineer will be fitting/installing this. Fingers crossed this is done today.

0 Likes

coop3r
Team Player
Private Message
Message 23 of 78

Thanks Debbie,

Can only presume this means the card has now been dispatched rather than an engineer?

No change this end, still no sync and no engineers of any kind at the cab today that I have seen.

Hopefully more positive news tomorrow…..

0 Likes

Message 24 of 78

Hi coop3r

Openreach have updated the fault ticket today to say dispatched and that they are working on the fault.

They have said they will provide updates by 10/10.

0 Likes

coop3r
Team Player
Private Message
Message 25 of 78

Morning Debbie,

Appreciate there are no updates on the fault yet but having spoken to the guy last week who confirmed he is the only engineer that deals with these DSLAM faults for a massive area I’m not super confident it will be fixed today if they haven’t updated to say and engineer is tasked. 

If you could speak to Openreach at some point and confirm they actully have the engineer assigned to the job I’d be grateful.  Saves me looking out for someone that’s not actually coming.

Many Thanks

0 Likes

Message 26 of 78

Hi coop3r

I've checked the fault this morning and it's still with Openreach. Based on the target fix date, this should hopefully be fixed today.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 27 of 78

Hi coop3r

I've just spoken to Openreach again and they provided the below update:

I have checked the fault from my end and the job is linked with an outage reason being Faulty Ports and the target fix date is for 09/10/2023

The fault may still be resolved today, however this is the update they have provided above.

0 Likes

coop3r
Team Player
Private Message
Message 28 of 78

Morning Debbie.

Been trying to keep an eye out for OR attending again but no sign of them as yet. Service is still down. Any updates on the ticket this morning to indicate if they will make it out again today?

Many thanks

0 Likes

Message 29 of 78

Hi coop3r

Thanks for the additional information. It sounds like a step in the right direction now and hopefully the replacement card will resolve all of the issues you have been experiencing.

I will monitor too for updates.

0 Likes

coop3r
Team Player
Private Message
Message 30 of 78

Hi Debbie,

Just spoken to Openreach engineer working on the DSLAM. He confirmed the vectoring card has failed which is what’s causing slow speeds and intermittency for everybody. 

Also saw a neighbor on another ISP that’s dropped from 160Mbps to 45 and had similar issues.

They have ordered a new card and it will be installed either later today or tomorrow and they will go from there.

He also suggested that I should have some service but it looks like my port is currently disabled remotely. I still have no sync.

He also confirmed that he tried to attend when the tree surgeon were working but didn’t attend due to access and safety reasons. 

Will monitor from here and provide any further updates if I get any

Thanks

Message 31 of 78

Hi coop3r

Openreach have advised that the next update on this fault should be available by 06/10/23 

I will keep checking in case they provide an earlier update.

0 Likes

Message 32 of 78

Hi coop3r

I will ask Openreach for a date/timescale for resolution and I'll keep you updated. Apologies again that this fault is still ongoing.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

coop3r
Team Player
Private Message
Message 33 of 78

Thanks Debbie. Even if it won’t be fixed today Openreach surely must be able to provide some meaningful update by now as to when it actually is likely to be resolved?

Many Thanks

0 Likes

Message 34 of 78

Hi coop3r

The engineers/Openreach are aware that this is a total loss of service fault. I'm not sure why it's not been resolved as yet but it's still with Openreach at the moment. 

I will chase them again today.

0 Likes

coop3r
Team Player
Private Message
Message 35 of 78

Thanks Debbie

To confirm, Openreach are treating this now as total loss of service and not thinking this is still a speed issue?

It’s been 6 days now and seems a really slow response for such a large organisation for potentially replacing a faulty card even from the point I lost service, let alone the time the faulty card has been there since my original engineer visit? They must have some idea of why it hasn’t been replaced and when it’s likely to be?

Many Thanks

0 Likes

Message 36 of 78

Hi coop3r

I've spoken to Openreach and they have escalated this and they are waiting on an update back from the engineers who are working on this fault, I'm really sorry this fault is still ongoing.

I will let you know as soon as Openreach provide an update.

0 Likes

Message 37 of 78

Hi coop3r

I will speak to Openreach this morning at 8am and I will post back here.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

coop3r
Team Player
Private Message
Message 38 of 78

No change this morning unfortunately and still no sync

0 Likes

Message 39 of 78

Hi coop3r

I have just spoken to Openreach now and they have advised the below:

The date for this job/fault is 02/10/23 till end of the day.  Please review back on 03/10/23 for further updates.

0 Likes

coop3r
Team Player
Private Message
Message 40 of 78

Hi Debbie,

Any way to find out when, or indeed if, Openreach intend to do anything about the LLUMS cases? Considering the DSLAM has an entire faulty card that has been there since at least my first engineer visit back in August I’m not super confident they will be out quickly to resolve the issues?

Are you also able to confirm my TalkTalk ticket is now a total loss of service fault and the auto-compensation will kick in from 23.59pm tonight as the second full working day after service was lost? Many Thanks

0 Likes