cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

Help me contact someone that can actually help with Openreach GFast fault

coop3r
Team Player
Private Message
Message 78 of 78

Really suffering trying to deal with the TalkTalk support staff through the regular process with my fault. Is there any TalkTalk staff here that can actually put me in touch with someone that understands GFast and the Openreach faults process outside of the typical TalkTalk scripted workflow that seems to breakdown entirely with more complex issues?

For the last 2.5 years I have had a GFast service, previously with another ISP but 6 months ago I migrated this to TalkTalk. The copper distance between my master socket and the PCP cabinet where the GFast kit is installed is approx 30Meters and up until the 25/26th August my max sync rate with the cab in Openreach own data proved to me by Openreach install as well as engineer fault visits was around 600Mbps but capped at 330Mbps in line with the maximum profile Openreach allow customers to order. Nice short reliable line. Everything should be great. 

Unfortunately we recently suffered two prolonged 10-12 hour outages (that impacted not just me but also my neighbours using  with other ISPs) and since the second of these around 25/26 august my line will not sync at its previous speeds and has dropped and will no longer sync above 250Mbps, less than half of the original capability and 80Mbps less than I was previously getting at the 330 artificial profile cap.

I’ve raised faults through the normal processes and Openreach have now attended twice to try and resolve, both times confirming that there is an issue not just with my port, but the spare ports on the GFast kit in the cab as well which also will no longer sync at expected speeds, suggesting the entire card, or physical connector to the copper pairs is now faulty (perhaps damaged when swapping a faulty card after the outages?).

On the second visit the OR engineer finally raised an internal LLUMS case to have an additional card installed (there is actually a spare card but this has also been marked as faulty) so that they could try and shift me to a new non-faulty port to try and fix the issues. Happy days.  However, through the normal TalkTalk support process the fault tickets just keep getting closed as everything according to TalkTalk is working fine and the outcome from the Engineer visits requiring the new card and port shift is ignored. Leaving me the choice of going back at the start of the scripted troubleshooting process again to get the fault re-raised! A waste of everyone’s time!

How can I deal with someone within TalkTalk who can actually chase down a resolution to the LLUMS case with Openreach, resolve my fault properly and restore my service back to how it was working for the last 2.5 years before these outages? I do not feel considering this is confirmed as an Openreach problem that this is unreasonable? I don’t feel the community is the right place for this but even having ‘escalated’ these faults I do not feel that the ‘senior managers in support’ that only make outbound calls are actually any better than a normal script follower?

Thanks in Advance

0 Likes
77 REPLIES 77

Message 41 of 78

Morning coop3r

The Openreach engineer has retained the fault as further work is required to resolve the fault. Below are some notes from Openreach.

Unable to complete as requires DSLAM engineer to rectify fault (low max attainable rate on ports at PCP and now no sync at PCP since DLM reset/lift and shift) . No other spare ports as all in use. LLUMS cases already raised

I will continue to monitor for updates.

0 Likes

Message 42 of 78

Staff are not on here before Monday now, @coop3r.

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes

coop3r
Team Player
Private Message
Message 43 of 78

Just a quick update to advise still no sync this morning.

Presumably not likely to see an update from Openreach until at least Monday now?

0 Likes

Message 44 of 78

Hi coop3r

Apologies, the only notes I've received from Openreach is to say that they still have the fault assigned to an engineer.

I will keep chasing for updates, sorry I have nothing further to share at the moment.

coop3r
Team Player
Private Message
Message 45 of 78

Hi Debbie, 

Any news? Tree surgeons have only seen one OR engineer who they did let access the cab but he indicated he was on a job for another property. No one else has been seen trying to get access as yet?

Many Thanks

0 Likes

Message 46 of 78

Hi coop3r

Ahh no, thanks for letting me know.

I've checked again and the engineer hasn't left any notes yet to say they can't access the cab so fingers crossed they will be ok.

0 Likes

coop3r
Team Player
Private Message
Message 47 of 78

Thanks Debbie,

There is traffic management and tree surgery this morning restricting access to the cab so I am hopeful if someone does come out they don’t immediately turn around and leave for access reasons…. 😞

0 Likes

Message 48 of 78

Hi coop3r

Apologies again for this.

The engineer has been assigned to this fault already this morning.

They will be working on the fault and I will keep monitoring for updates.

0 Likes

coop3r
Team Player
Private Message
Message 49 of 78

Morning Debbie,

Just confirming that the line hasn’t come back into sync as Openreach though it would and is still down. Any ETA they can provide on a resolution would be appreciated. 

Many Thanks

0 Likes

Message 50 of 78

Hi coop3r

I've checked again and this fault is still with Openreach. I will continue to monitor this for additional updates.

Thanks

Message 51 of 78

Hi coop3r

Thanks so much for letting me know.

I've just checked and the fault is still open with Openreach and they have left notes to advise that the ports are faulty.

As soon as I have further information I will post back on this thread. I'm really sorry you have no service at the moment but I will keep checking on this and chasing with OR.

Message 52 of 78

Hi Debbie,

The engineer is packing up now to leave as he can do no more. Current status is as follows:

Line still wont come back into sync so I have no service at all. This is the case on both ports ‘available’ for use in the cab. Engineer believes that both are faulty and I am essentially just getting moved back and forth between them on every visit because they are the only spares.
He has been in touch with more senior escalation to try and resolve things but currently they believe the line will eventually sync again once the DLM regresses the speeds low enough to actually get a solid sync. They think this is taking a long time as the historic line data for the DLM means the line should be able to sync much faster than it actually is so its taking several hours to slow down to the faulty rate and become stable.

This engineer has promised to keep the job open rather than close it as working as the previous engineers have done, and has confirmed there are two cases/incidents raised against the cab itself, one for the two faulty ports and another for the faulty unusable card. I have the references for these from the engineer if thats of any use to you?

Hopefully if you speak to Openreach they can give you some more details from that side?

Many Thanks

0 Likes

Message 53 of 78
0 Likes

Message 54 of 78

I mentioned the LLUMS case to him as part of the history but not had any update on that specifically as yet.

Interim update: He’s currently working with another team remotely to go through the normal processes to get to the more senior remote teams, however the remote team reset my port as part of this process and it now won’t sync with his test kit at the cab at all.
They have done a shift onto another port that they managed to find was apparently free but this won’t sync with his kit either. He’s now back on the phone to the remote team trying to figure out what to do next as there is no service at all currently. 

He did mention however checking some of the other ports for other customers all of them have a max sync rate higher than the port I was using (e.g. these others showing max rates around 375Mbps) despite their properties being much further away from the cab so at the very least he confirmed again my port was certainly not right when compared to that and the previous 600Mbps max rate. 

Once he is off the phone to the remote team I will update further. 

0 Likes

Message 55 of 78

Hi coop3r

Thank you. Did he or you mention the LLUMS case previously mentioned?

0 Likes

Message 56 of 78

Hi Debbie,

Engineer arrived about an hour ago. Same findings in the house and has gone across the road to the cab where he’s been now for 45 mins or so.

As soon as he is done there and has something to report back I’ll post again and let you know. Thanks

Message 57 of 78

Hi coop3r

Please let us know once the engineer has attended and I can check the engineers notes straight away.

If the engineer needs to raise a new LLUMS case then I will chat with Openreach to make sure they don't close the fault ticket.

0 Likes

Message 58 of 78

Hi coop3r

Thanks for your reply.

I have arranged the engineer visit for 28/09 AM (8am - 1pm)

Please let us know how you get on following this visit. I will also check the engineers notes.

Message 59 of 78

Hi Debbie,

I dont really mind either way but lets just say AM. Thanks

Message 60 of 78

Hi coop3r

Thanks for confirming your details. When would you be available AM and PM?

0 Likes