cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

Need a new router after 4-5 years...

TorqueTorqueBIS
Participant
Private Message
Message 30 of 30

Good morning
Any chance to get a a new free router sent to us?

After 4-5 years and also being an old model, I guess it is time.
Better, if it had external antenna or antenna socket.

Please reply with what to do - I am never here and do not know how you work.
Email does not exist any more with larger Companies, therefore forum it is!

Regards
M

TorqueTorqueBIS
0 Likes
29 REPLIES 29

Message 21 of 30

... another thing I was reminded just now!

Server throw me out - i.e. logged me off, after a certain time.
So I wasted time in writing a reply, forced to login again and lost all I have typed in!

I forgot about it or I would have copied it into notepad!

1. Model is not mentioned over the external box on any label

2. Model only found when I logged into it:

FAST5364 3.00
Firmware Version: SG4K100136
GUI Version 5.6.1

note: I though I did mention model when I was asked.
Must have forgotte, I am working at home at present.

3. Environment? Just Recycle.
That is simple, although No Government 'ever' impose a replace and return to Large Companies - obviously!

4. Antenna, was only 'mentioned' in case they had one 'eith them on' - that was all.

I just do not have the time and do not wish to give an excuse for 'tampering'.
I would have modified it with antenna socket (I am a technician) - as I used to work with radio/TV/telephone/communication devices at component level - a long time ago.
A 'real' technician 'does not tamper'.

5. time to go elsewhere - nothing to do with modem, but with service.
In the end there is BT everywhere now - it is a monopoly, including TalkTalk (EE, Plusnet, etc. ALL BT or subsidiries under different names).

Thanks for replies
M

PS I have just given up, I cannot spend ages on a forum because they force me to phone them when I have a hearing problem and 'always' connect with suppliers and retailers via email of even chat = fast and efficient and avoid misunderstanding.

TorqueTorqueBIS
0 Likes

Message 22 of 30

@TorqueTorqueBIS wrote:

Pff
Time to go elsewhere...

You mean you're considering switching to a different ISP unless TalkTalk supply you with a new router?

That's a rather strange attitude.

As others have said, they will generally only supply a replacement router if the one you have has developed an actual fault (or is incompatible with a new service you have upgraded to).

They supply a router to every new customer to allow you to access the internet service and we all pay for this as the cost will be built into the service charges. I don't imagine any ISP will supply a brand new router every couple of years. As well as the cost of all these routers (which would probably be covered by increased service cost to all customers), I'm sure that in this day and age they would face pretty stern criticism from environmental groups for the wasteful nature of that practice.

Having said that, staff may be kind to you and send you a new router if yours is a very old model. You haven't actually specified what model it is, but if it's only 4 to 5 years old it's probably one of the more recent ones

If you want/require a router with specific features (you mentioned external antenna) not present on the ISP supplied routers, you always have the option to purchase and use your own router, as many of us do.

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 23 of 30

What's wrong with your service/performance at the moment? 

0 Likes

TorqueTorqueBIS
Participant
Private Message
Message 24 of 30

Pff
Time to go elsewhere...

TorqueTorqueBIS
0 Likes

TorqueTorqueBIS
Participant
Private Message
Message 25 of 30

Right!

TorqueTorqueBIS
0 Likes

Message 26 of 30

Sagem ceased to be around 15 years ago; you are probably thinking of Sagemcom. All their routers are made in China, in common with most tech companies these days. They remain the currently provided models and overall have a good record of reliability and performance. TalkTalk will explore a swap out for you if you can point to any specific issues you may be having other than that it is "quite old."

0 Likes

TorqueTorqueBIS
Participant
Private Message
Message 27 of 30

Ideally, one should replace them once every 1-2 years really!

TorqueTorqueBIS
0 Likes

TorqueTorqueBIS
Participant
Private Message
Message 28 of 30

Hi
C2A239

Reason I asked is simply they get 'quickly' old - the transmitter components - as they are not very well ventilated and 90% of those given by Internet suppliers are low quality Sagem from France.
Nothing against French - it is just the VERY low quality of their routers, which also is the reason they are mostly free.

I used to deal with Sagem many years ago - Freeview Receivers at the time.

PS I am a Technician... and I used to work with Radio Transmission and repairing them in Airports.

TorqueTorqueBIS
0 Likes

Divsec
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 29 of 30

Hi @TorqueTorqueBIS you don't mention which router you have? Rule of thumb is if it ain't broken don't fix it. None of the TT routers I've seen have external antenna. 

I don't work here and all my opinions are my own.
0 Likes