cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

Ongoing packet loss issues (up to approx 15%)

Ezza1
Whizz Kid
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 28 of 28

Since approx mid Dec I've been having packet loss issues, which is impacting video calls when working from home and gaming.

I have spoken to people via both chat and Twitter/X and frankly that's generally a waste of time as people don't appear to be able to read or understand the issue I'm raising, so I'm coming here instead. I have a complaint call outstanding for those issues.

I have reset the router a number of times (including leaving off for 30 mins) and from chat advice additionally factory reset the router, but the packet loss issues continue to exist. It can vary from a few percent up to 15% which you can imagine isn't great for online gaming, especially FPS games or for others when you end up rubber banding around the screen.

I have done various tests using different tools. Test via the Xbox interface, shows packet loss, Call of Duty displays in game packet loss, Cloudflare test shows packet loss. Packetloss.com shows packet loss, Pingplotter and running a cmd prompt pathping search shows packet loss.

When reviewing the results from the pathping it points to IP addresses owned by Talktalk (2.100.224.1 and 78.144.1.37 and  78.144.1.40) But staff I have spoken to via Chat and Twitter/X failed to seem to understand what packet loss is in the first place.

How do I get someone to both check the line properly and that your own equipment doesn't have issues? I had this issue back in June, but it eventually cleared itself (that was all over Twitter/X).

Any help you can offer please?

27 REPLIES 27

Message 21 of 28

@Ezza1, you first posted when Talktalk support staff had closed for the day.

They are not on here at weekends, therefore the first opportunity for a reply is Monday. 

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes

Message 22 of 28

Fibre 35 and get a max 25mb download as it must be approx 1km to the green box which isn't even in the village.

Video calling and gaming are definitely being impacted and this generally hasn't been an issue in the past, apart from in June 23,  when it cleared.

I run with in game stats showing in COD MW3 and have had packet loss showing over 15%. The 5% pathping packet loss is lower that it has been.

I'm close to leaving Talktalk as Virgin are now in the village and I can get up to 1gb with them. Will see what my complaint call Tues brings.

Technically though, is anybody going to look at this and admit there's an issue?

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 23 of 28

HI @Ezza1 

5% packets lost whilst sounding like nothing, can impact real-time IP traffic if using UDP.

What type of fibre or otherwise package do you have?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

Message 24 of 28

DM sent Keith with pathping and tracert, along with some pictures of the ducting 1400m from my house, missing cover and water in it. Imagine with all the rain recently it's probably been a lot fuller.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 25 of 28

Hi @Ezza1 

Please can you PM me the output from PathPing or a tracert, so I can check it? The reason I want them in a PM, is so that it preserves your privacy.

The information below is provided by TalkTalk, for confirmation please contact @Debbie-TalkTalk or@Michelle-TalkTalk.

KeithFrench is one of our valued Community Stars and can help with a range of issues related to wireless and networking. At times he may ask you to send him test results via a Private Message to help analyse/diagnose an issue. Although Keith does not work for TalkTalk, he very kindly shares his time and knowledge to help with others.

If you need further help or, if we need to take any details such as personal information about your account like phone numbers, account numbers etc. one of the TalkTalk team will jump in and help out.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

0 Likes

Message 26 of 28

All wired tests from 2 different laptops using different ethernet cables and the Xbox is also wired.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 27 of 28

Are you running PathPing over a wired (Ethernet) connection or a wireless one. Are other devices affected, or just this one?

Keith

0 Likes