cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

Pc - no internet

steven25
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 20 of 20

Hi !

My PC is saying it is not connected to the internet in network settings.

I can get internet access on the PC through the wifi - but wont connect to the internet on the LAN port.

When i unplug the cable from the router it says it is disconnected, and when i plug it back in it says no internet. 

Anyone know why?

Turned the wifi off on the PC but still wont connect with the internet on the LAN port.

A TV connected to the router through an internet switch is dropping the internet intermittently.  and I dont know why.

2 other pc's in the house are working fine except one that tells me to reset the network adaptor.

0 Likes
19 REPLIES 19

Message 1 of 20

Hi Steven,

I'm sorry but as Gliwmaeden2 has said, we no longer turn off wifi optimisation. Regarding the fault report, it doesn't really say anything, it ran a line test which passed and now says manual diagnostics required which I think basically assumes that you have an issue if you ran the test and so opens a fault ticket

Chris

0 Likes

Message 2 of 20

Staff can no longer turn off WiFi optimisation, @steven25. The devices people won't allow it in case it affects other aspects of the service. 

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes

Message 3 of 20

What did the fault report 14593143 say ??

Steven.

Cant run another test until resolved.

0 Likes

steven25
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 4 of 20

Hi !

Would you please turn off the wifi optimisation on the new router please

Steven.

0 Likes

Message 5 of 20

Good morning,

I've run a test on the line now which is clear and the fault ticket hasn't detected a fault and has requested that we complete diagnostic equipment checks. Please let us know how you get on.

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 6 of 20

Well, I thought I had it sussed.

This morning I came downstairs and checked the set top box and it was off-line and the TV too - so back to square one.

I will run another line test sometime this week with the internet switch disconnected and see if that sorts out the fault report.

Fault report - Rep. - 14593143 - what is the report saying?? Need to know.

Was speaking to an Openreach engineer about it this morning and he gave me a few pointers to a few things to check.

But he said he would new to know what the fault report said too.

Can you enlighten me?

Still going to get a new replacement internet switch - don't trust the original one I had.

Also I checked my sons PC this evening- it is wired to the internet switch and it was not connected to the internet despite being wired with a LAN cable  - to get it on line again I had to run windows diagnostics and restarted the Ethernet adapter and the LAN  came back online.

Also having the same issue with my new PC which is wired to a Powerline adapter wired directly to the router and not the switch.

So i'm thinking it is not the switch if this happens.

Another thing I have noticed is that despite being off-line the router still displays the Set top box  as being connected to the LAN cable  - just no internet to it.

Steven.

0 Likes

Message 7 of 20

Hi steven,

Thanks for the update. Can I just confirm, is the connection stable when the switch is not connected?

Michelle

0 Likes

steven25
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 8 of 20

Hi !

Received the replacemet router on Tuesday.

Today, after checking of cables from the ONT to the new router and to the internet switch, I found that the drop outs I had still existed.

However, the Wi-fi coverage with the replacement router is twice that of the old one. I couldn't get my mobile phone to connect to the Wi-fi in the living room as the signal form the router in the study was too weak. and now connects just fine and also connects in other rooms on the ground floor so the replacement router is a bonus  in that respect.

The drop outs in the LAN connected devices were due to a faulty internet switch. Seriously tested my patience on this one, as the dropouts were so intermittent. But now the cause has been diagnosed with a substitute switch in place temporarily until a new one is sourced.

One thing I did do prior top the changing of the router was to run a line test from the exchange to my house  - it came up with a fault - Rep. - 14593143 - what was the fault?

I have run a few line tests since  Fibre (FTTP) was installed to my house back in September and each time it came up with the same result.  Why?

The set-up in my house is as follows - ONT connected to Red port on back of router - LAN Port 1 connected to study PC. Port 2 connected to power-line adapter to dining room PC. Port 3 to 8 port internet switch split into another 6 Ethernet sockets throughout the house. Port 4 to Playstation 4. All cables were tested for continuity errors - none found.

Any ideas on what the fault report is ?

0 Likes

Message 9 of 20

Hi

A Router has been ordered for you.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 10 of 20

Yes please.

Steven.

0 Likes

Message 11 of 20

Hi Steven,

Ok, would you like us to send a replacement router for testing purposes to rule this out and see how the connection compares?

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 12 of 20

Hi,

Not as yet.

Steven.

0 Likes

Message 13 of 20

Morning,

Thanks for the update. Have we recently sent you a replacement router to rule this out?

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 14 of 20

Hi !

Have ruled a few things out - The internet switch which supplies TV, Set top Box, WiFi Access Point, Play Station 4 and gaming PC Gaming is working as it should. I swapped it put for a known good one from a PC repair shop.

The TV was dropping the LAN internet connection - most likely due to it being a Panasonic which after investigation, are prone to it  - it has now been changed to a WiFi connection. 

The fault with the Main Work PC still exists at times, it drops the LAN connection - still able to use the WiFi connection on the PC to access the internet but the lost LAN will show up on the PC screen.

Have come to the conclusion it is the router that is at fault.

I have change the cables linking it to the router and yet the fault still appears. Although it has been faultless today.

I have also accessed the router and set the names of various devices which are hardwired to the router and can now more easily identify them and also the devices which use the WiFi.

So will give it another couple of weeks  and will remember to take screen shots of all things  I need to.

0 Likes

Message 15 of 20

Hi steven25,

How are you getting on, did you manage to resolve this issue?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 16 of 20

Stillscreenshotscreenshot having bother  - switched on the pc which is hardwired to the router directly  - had internet for about a minute and then disconnected. Wi-Fi was still available  - restarting the pc fixed it,

PC no.2 which is hard wired through a powerline adaptor directly to the router as well lost the internet as well and gave me an error message in the windows network diagnostics.

All the cables have been checked for continuity and are sound connections.

Any ideas?

0 Likes

Message 17 of 20

Hi

Glad that has fixed it.  There are no known issues with our routers that would explain this, but with any networking issue, I always advise to restart all equipment first to give a clean environment for troubleshooting and diagnostics.

Karl.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 18 of 20

Just turned the router off 30 secs and rebooted PC - -seems to have fixed it.

Why it was connecting the internet on port 1 and all the other ports were working fine i don't know

Are TT routers prone to this ? - had this router since September and has give no bother since then apart from a few wifi issues which needed a reboot. 

0 Likes

Karl-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 19 of 20

Hi

Have you rebooted all equipment , the PC and router before retesting ?

Thanks  

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes