cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

Request for Tech Support Update

cheshireguy1
Team Player
Private Message
Message 7 of 7

Request to TT for tech query update

On 7 February I switched from TalkTalk (TT) broadband only (line with BT) to TT Fibre to Cabinet – Fibre 65, with a calls boost. Minimum speeds per the contract are download (DL) 40.2 Mbps and upload (UL) 18 Mbps.

My DL speed (both Ethernet and Wi-Fi) is regularly 46.1 Mbps – no problem. My UL (both Ethernet and Wi-Fi) speed is 5.8 -6.0 Mbps – which is odd.

I rang Tech support and a helpful guy instantly said he thought the UP speed should be at least a minimum of 11 Mbps and that he would do some tests.  After about 20 minutes the line was disconnected and reconnected, so the call was lost.

He did not call back so I rang again repeating my enquiry.  The lady tested the DL speed and told me that the DL speed was above the guarantee, which is what I had told her. For probably 30 minutes she said she was doing further tests, in silence except when I enquired on progress when she communicated only that it was not UL tests she was doing.  Then the line was disconnected and reconnected, so the call was lost.  She did not call back even though she had my landline and mobile numbers.

I can understand that they may have accidentally or of necessity cut off the call but not why they were not customer focused enough to call me back.  My calls were amicable so there was no reason for them to terminate the calls.

Please could the TT staffer monitoring this topic give me a status update - or advise how I can speak to someone prepared to take ownership of my enquiry and communicate effectively? My community profile is up to date.

Thanks. (You guys have always been so helpful on the email topic page.)

0 Likes
6 REPLIES 6

Message 1 of 7

Hi

If none of the phone sockets have a test socket, do you know which is the master socket - the first socket where the phone line enters the property ?

Karl.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 2 of 7

Just googled ‘test socket’.  During  BT work 30 years ago to add sockets (when they ‘cut corners’ during a busy period), the original test socket disappeared and the line enters the property in 2 places, one upstairs for the router’s socket. That has worked well for a Netgear Router and TT broadband since TT were established in the UK.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 7

Sorry not sure meaning of test socket.  Router is connected to electricity socket , phone socket (with filter) and by Ethernet to PC,

0 Likes

Message 4 of 7

Thanks for trying that, is your router currently connected to your test socket?

Chris

0 Likes

cheshireguy1
Team Player
Private Message
Message 5 of 7

Thanks Chris. I have switched off the router for 38 minutes and switched on again. 

First testing with (short) wired Ethernet to desktop.

Router displays download 49 Mbps and upload 6.4 Mbps.

TalkTalk website speed test result is download 47 Mbps with no upload speed displayed.

Test via thinkbroadband.com shows download 45.8 Mbps and upload 5.8Mbps.

Then testing with Wi-Fi on laptop in the same room.

Test via thinkbroadband.com shows download 45.8 Mbps and upload 5.9Mbps

Not sure what you mean by line profile but would welcome solution and improvement. Thanks.

0 Likes

Chris-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 6 of 7

Hi cheshireguy1,

Your line profile isn't restricting your speed so could you switch your router off and leave it off for at least 30 minutes, then switch back on and retest. Please let us know how you get on

Chris