cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

Slow speeds since outside cable replaced

erica2
Team Player
Private Message
Message 14 of 14

My broadband went down in late June. A damaged outside cable was replaced by openreach. Since then my broadband speed has been significantly slower - 44-48 compared to 60-65 pre fix.

I have been through to the talktalk service help since. I have flagged it at least 3 times. The last time I called the settings were apparently changed on my router and the case closed. There was no change.

A connection test identifies a fault but the cases continues to be closed. The latest reference is REP-13449647.

I have spent hrs going through the same issue for there to be no improvement. I can't spend any more time on the phone to them when it's a complete and utter waste of time. Can an engineer look via this forum?

0 Likes
13 REPLIES 13

Message 1 of 14

Good morning,

Glad to hear this 🙂

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 2 of 14

It’s been great. Consistent 70s. 

thanks ! 

0 Likes

Message 3 of 14

Hi erica2

How's the connection been since your last post?

0 Likes

Message 4 of 14

Hi erica2

Thanks for your reply. I'm so glad to hear that the speed has increased.

Please can you try running the speed test again in 24hrs and let us know if you are experiencing the same issue?

Message 5 of 14

Hi Michelle,

I have done that and amazingly I am now getting speeds of 75!

Hopefully this will last, thank you. It's a shame I wasn't given this advice in July.

Can I ask, I get an error message when trying the speed on the talk talk website - see image attached. Any clues as to why this may be happening. I've just tried again now and it's the same.

Thanks

Message 6 of 14

Morning erica2,

Sorry for the delay. I've run a test on the line which hasn't detected a fault and the sync speed looks consistent. Could you try powering down the router for a full 30 minutes and then retest again please as this will reset the current session and can often increase the throughput speeds.

Thanks

Michelle

Message 7 of 14

It should show in there if you click on Run a Speed Test, and gives the results from the past week like this, lower down the page:

20231001_213511.jpg

It may also be mentioned in the emails for your current contract, when documents are sent, so have a dig around if you can remember when that was, @erica2.

Yes, might be worth trying the other router! 😊 See what they say.

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.

Message 8 of 14

Hi @Gliwmaeden2 

I can't find the Minimum Guaranteed Speed in my connections. No graphs with dotted lines, maybe because it has a fault registered??but from memory it was around 60 and up until the failure in late June I was getting over 60 consistently. The guaranteed minimum definitely wasn't in the 40's. Is there anywhere else I could find this?

I have a spare router as I had to buy one last year when my daughter was doing GCSEs and talktalk were saying it wasn't the router! It has worked fine since I swapped that one in so if the staff want me to swap to the unused router I can do that no problem. In fact I don't know why I haven't even tried that myself. I'll wait to hear from the team.

0 Likes

Message 9 of 14

Yes, good to get it looked into regardless of when the contract ends, @erica2

Do you know what your Minimum Guaranteed Speed is supposed to be? 

It will show in My Connections (accessible via Service Status Dashboard when at home, so you need not always sign into My Account).

The dotted line on the graph indicates whether the speeds you are getting are above or below the minimum. An engineer isn't usually sent out unless you are getting below the guaranteed minimum. 

Staff can test your line and may swap out the router (which means that last year's swap didn't last particularly well!).

0 Likes

Message 10 of 14

Yes I need good BB and I'm paying for a service that I'm not getting and haven't been getting since early July.  I was trying to leave the threads seperate for clarity.

If you read that thread I haven't a clue what is happening in November. My account says my account terminates next May 24, not November. I'm trying to get confrmation one way or another regarding that as TalkTalk have not made that clear is subsequent correspondence, just that the full fibre upgarde is now cancelled. That thread is still open whilst I try to get an answer.

In the mean time, if I'm here til next May I wan't my BB fixed - is that OK?

0 Likes

Message 11 of 14

Hi yes the phone line has been normal throughout and my router is always on since the repair of the outside cable.

0 Likes

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 12 of 14

Just to clarify, this is the same line that you are wanting to have terminated at the end of November (earlier than contracted) in addition to cancelling the order for Full Fibre?

Other thread: 

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Billing/Full-fibre-upgrade-and-contract-termination/td-p/2987837...

So you need to make sure it is in good working order in the meantime as well as getting all that confirmed?

Just pasted the link to give the context of what's been going on, @erica2.

0 Likes

Divsec
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 13 of 14

Hi @erica2 they certainly can and will respond tomorrow when they return to work.

Couple of quick questions, is your phone connection OK? No noise etc.? Is your router permanently connected? 

Your post has been escalated. 

I don't work here and all my opinions are my own.
0 Likes