cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

Speed from router slower than normal.

JP1905
Team Player
Private Message
Message 6 of 6

I usually get 70-72mb download speed from my router, but have just noticed it has gone down to 50-52mb.

According to your tests the speed to the router is fine and normal,  its just the download speed from the router to my devices that's affected. Ping and upload is unaffected.

Oh, and I noticed that the router turned itself off and reconnected earlier this morning, might that have something to do with it?

Thanks

0 Likes
5 REPLIES 5

Message 1 of 6

Morning,

Ok thanks for the update and please let us know if the speeds do vary/drop again.

Thanks

0 Likes

JP1905
Team Player
Private Message
Message 2 of 6

Speed seems to be stable now at 73-74mb. Will keep an eye on it over the next few days.

0 Likes

JP1905
Team Player
Private Message
Message 3 of 6

Ok, I spoke too soon. Speeds are back to 50mb. It seems to fluctuate between 70mb and 50mb.

Signal strength seems weaker than usual as well.

This all started after the router rebooted on its own early this morning. Was that for a new router update, maybe that's causing the problems? 

0 Likes

JP1905
Team Player
Private Message
Message 4 of 6

Ok, done that.

The speeds seem to have returned for the most part. But the weird thing is that running a speed test through the dashboard (loading bar screen) still gives me a result of 50mb, yet when I run the speed test through troubleshooting (dial and numbers) I get my normal speeds? Google speed test results also appear to be normal.

Why the different results?

Also I've noticed that the download arrow icon is constantly lit even if I'm not doing anything, it wasn't doing that yesterday. I wonder if that is relevant?

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 5 of 6

Good afternoon,

Thanks for your post. I've run a test on the line now which hasn't detected a fault and the sync speed looks consistent. Could you try powering down the router for a full 30 minutes and then retest the speed again please, as this will reset the current session and can often increase the throughput speed.

Thanks