cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

Wifi extender keep having solid/ red light when moved downstairs after paring green next to router

vimach
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 15 of 15
  • Issue with wifi blackspot at my home kitchen. 

Purchases a wifi extender D-link DHP-P610AV the black one from talktalk and was okay until recently. 

TT Agent kindly sent me a replacement. When set up right next to the router (located upstairs) all green light and as per instruction I can then move the adaptor to the room that required extension, however connection remain unstable and constant red/ orange (middle) light m. I'm quite fed up with this and what could be the solution? Buy another extender myself? Reposition the extender upstairs nearer to my router? Just frustration as the router is literally just no more then 5m upstairs away from the kitchen. (Only if I could just drill holes or dangle cable outside to get a wired connection)

Thanks 

0 Likes
14 REPLIES 14

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 1 of 15

It is impossible for me to comment on the state of your Wi-Fi reception, at least not without some diagnostic information from your property. Do not spend any money on additional hardware until I have seen evidence of your reception issues. Just throwing money at such a situation, could easily make the reception worse, not better. 

Have you had TalkTalk’s Wi-Fi optimisation disabled on your Sagemcom FAST5364 router? When this is enabled, as it is by default, it has the power to override any Wi-Fi configuration changes that I might suggest that you need to make. This will not help rectify this type of problem if Wi-Fi Optimisation is allowed to change my suggested settings. Only TalkTalk can do this for you, you cannot do it yourself. If not, just request they disable this for you in your reply.

The next stage involves sending out a guide to you to help you get the important diagnostic results so that I can analyse them for you and recommend changes to your router configuration to solve them.

I only send this out to people who request it.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

Message 2 of 15

The extender will improve the wireless signal throughout your home but if there's something else causing interference then it won't stop the interference. If there's interference being caused by a device in your kitchen then unfortunately buying mesh is unlikely to resolve the problem

Chris

0 Likes

vimach
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 3 of 15

Thanks it's Talktalk wifi Hub‎ Sagemcom, and so I was told that buying the extender from TT will help my kitchen coverage. 

Nothing has changed since I purchased the extender over 5 years ago and seems working fine until recently hence the contact to TT and got replacement units, however nothing helps. 

will buying mesh help? 

I've been longing the Ultrafast fibre to be available at mine, no 27 has it already while I'm at 19 still pending. 

0 Likes

Message 4 of 15

so I was mis-sold the extender then? 

How would I know what device is causing the problem? 

I can't be switching off my fridge while I want to watch tv. 

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 5 of 15

Slow speed, intermittent dropouts, breaks in the signal, no signal on some or all devices or no internet access might be caused by Wi-Fi interference from other local networks, which can also lead to a permanent reduction in speed. No ISP can be responsible for your local environment, this is mainly a byproduct of the popularity of Wi-Fi. This can easily be the cause of poor signal in some rooms but OK in others.

Generally speaking, the 2.4GHz band suffers much more from interference than the 5GHz band, but the 2.4GHz one can sometimes have a better range, but this all depends on your local area.

If you would like me to help you, please can you specify the make/model of TalkTalk router that you are using?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

0 Likes

Message 6 of 15

Kitchen white goods are notorious for causing wifi interference. If it's just the kitchen that's the problem it could be an electrical device in your kitchen that causing the problem

Chris

0 Likes

Message 7 of 15

TV is the most challenging one. connections keeps dropping no matter whether I use WIFI or cable to the extender. 

few kitchen devices that is wifi controllable also have trouble connecting. 

Mobile phones and tablets seems to retain (I suppose) 5G wifi the best, older version 2.4G ones drop from 4 to 2 bars when walking into the kitchen. 

Tried changing channels, tried moving the extender to the room right below the router and next to kitchen, tried asking to see if purchasing wifi mesh myself would help (but was told no by TT agent).

Rest of house connections are okay, apart from the troublesome kitchen!  and frankly my house isn't even that big. 

0 Likes

Message 8 of 15

Is it anything in particular that you are having trouble connecting in the kitchen?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 9 of 15

Currently the router is in the adjacent room above the kitchen where it's no more than 5 meters away. 

I really don't have any free sockets in the room above the kitchen and next to the room where router is. 

as per FAQ plugging it to extension adaptor is NOT recommended..... so..... 

I have now placed the extender in the end room upstairs (which is over 7 meters away from router) and the light is Green now. 

However it still doesn't improve the wifi signal in Kitchen which is still far away from this extender. 

so........ what should I do. 😩

And the more frustration part is.........I'm on Fibre150 but was told Eero6 will not help me and won't give me one? (or last agent even suggestion don't bother ordering one myself as it won't work 😖)

0 Likes

Message 10 of 15

Hi vimach,

You could try moving the wifi extender to a socket on the same floor as the router but nearer the kitchen if this is possible. Could you give this a try a let us know how you get on

Chris

0 Likes

vimach
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 11 of 15

Thanks. Yes got these info from talktalk page.  And when the extender is right next to the router it is all green lights. 

But I thought it suppose to go where the dead spot of wifi is after pairing? 

I have tried all plugs in kitchen where the bad wifi signal was and as well as almost all downstairs plug (even in living room where it has a much better wifi coverage than kitchen) the extender still showing amber light. 

Just puzzle me as if I keep it next to my router to maintain the green lights then it's not really improving anything then? 

And this is the 2nd replacement talktalk sent me. Unless I've been sent used devices or someone else returns. I don't understand why it is not doing what it suppose to do hence the reaching out here. Thanks. 

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 12 of 15

Thanks for the info. The middle light being red/amber means that the Wi-Fi Extender and Network Connector are paired but the transfer speed is slow. Try moving your Wi-Fi Extender closer to your router as an experiment. The problem could be caused by a faulty set, or your house's electrical wiring. It would be useful to know what happens if you put them in sockets close to one & another as a test.

In case they are faulty, I will ask TalkTalk's support on this forum to see if they can replace them for you.

Keith

0 Likes

vimach
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 13 of 15

Oh sorry. D-link DHP-P610AV the black one. 

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 14 of 15

Please can you confirm which extender it is that you have?

Keith

0 Likes