cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

Work laptop won’t connect to wifi

Shona8
Participant
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 31 of 31

My work laptop has stopped connecting to talk talk. I can connect all my other devices to the internet. I can connect my laptop to my mobile hotspot/any other wifi networks. It used to be able to connect. I work from home part time so I need my laptop to work. It is not a VPN issue (I do use a VPN for some aspects, but can’t even open a google page let alone start to connect to a VPN!).  How can this be fixed please? I can see it has happened to other people too, but was advised to start my own topic. 

0 Likes
30 REPLIES 30

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 1 of 31

Hi @Shona8 

I am going to delete all netsh & ipconfigs from your posts as these are in the public forum for all to see.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

Message 2 of 31
0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 3 of 31

Hi @Shona8 

That is good. The next stage is to try & sort the mess of your other routers/extenders. You should really just buy extra Eero units to get extended coverage, so as they form a mesh network.

However, if you want to go down the route of these other units, please can you tell me exactly how they are connecting to the Eero & roughly where they are within your property.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 31

Thanks Keith, that seems to have sorted it - must have been interfering somehow with the eero even though I wasn't connected to the extender. Fingers crossed that's the end of all the issues! THanks for your patience. 

Shona

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 5 of 31

OK, those pages in the app are not telling me what I wanted to know, but as I said, I have never had an Eero, so do not know the app very well. Forget those for the time being.

Now the PC is using a totally different IP address, which I was not expecting at all, this is a private class B IP address, which has also been subnetted.

You mention that you have disconnected the middle router, which seems to suggest from your reply that you still have another router connected.

Who set this up & is there a reason for these configuration changes? Perhaps they have come from different networks in the past & have never had their configuration defaulted before being set up as they are, however that is?

Disconnect all routers with the exception of the Eero, plus any extenders/repeaters that you may have. Now try connecting to just the Eero & once again get me the output of the two commands. 

Keith

0 Likes

Private Message TalkTalk

Message 6 of 31

Okay I have unplugged the middle router (this is a talk talk router and not the study extender we talked  about previously). 

I am sitting right next to the primary router and still can't connect.

i re ran the command prompts and have supplied the requested outputs.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 7 of 31

Yes, it could be down to the two routers, depending on how it is set up. First, disconnect the study one altogether & just try a connection near to the main TalkTalk router. If it does not work, then please get me a fresh set of the two command prompt commands.

You have an Eero 6 router I think, go into the app and go into Advanced & then please PM me a screenshot of the router's IP address & DHCP pages, I can't be any more precise as I do not have this router.

Keith

0 Likes

Message 8 of 31

Hi I'm afraid my understanding of computers is next to nothing so I'm not entirely sure how I would have done that. I changed talk talk from normal internet to fibre maybe about a year ago. Then an extra router was sent to me about 8 months ago becuase the signal wasn't strong enough, so we have 2 routers in the house on the first and second floor. Could that be impacting it?

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 9 of 31

Why are you using this subnet mask:-

and not:-

The IP address you are using is a class c address requiring a minimum subnet mask of 255.255.255.0. To my knowledge no TalkTalk router supports supernetting.

Keith

0 Likes

Shona8
Participant
Private Message TalkTalk
Private Message TalkTalk

Message 10 of 31
Diagnostics supplied.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 11 of 31

Hi @Shona8 

I have had a quick chance to have a look at this for you. From what I can see you are actually connecting OK to the router's WiFi, but you have not got any access to the internet for some reason.

Ignore your VPN for the moment, as I do not think that is the problem.

Please can you try again & before disconnecting the laptop from the router, please can you run a couple more commands from the command prompt (no need for administrative access this time) for me:-

netsh wlan show interface

ipconfig /all

Please copy & paste the output from these and send them to me in a PM to preserve your privacy. You can't attach files in a PM, hence why as soon as I got your zip file I removed it from your post.

Keith

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 12 of 31

Thanks for this @Shona8 I will try & look at this sometime today for you. Please can you confirm if you are using a VPN client to connect to your work network? If so, do you get any error messages from it when you try to connect?

Keith

0 Likes

Private Message TalkTalk

Message 13 of 31

Please see attached and advise on how this can be resolved. 

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 14 of 31

So if you right click the command prompt shortcut, there is no 

Run as administratorRun as administrator

There is no point in running this on any other PC.

Although it won't stop it connecting, the Windows network classification is wrong at public, it should be Private when connected to this network.

I assume that you are connecting via a VPN as the DNS server appears to be on a different network to your PC, but I can't see what subnet mask is being used? Does this connect OK?

Another possibility is that the Eero is using channel 155, which may cause a problem, although looking at your WiFi card, I think it should be OK.

Keith

0 Likes

Message 15 of 31

hello, because this is a work laptop I do not have admin rights. So is it good if I turn on my laptop at home at 7am and try to connect, and then when I'm in work at 10am get the IT to do what you have instructed? Or will that give innaccurate results. 

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 16 of 31

Hi @Shona8 

I should have also said.......

The information below is provided by TalkTalk, for confirmation please contact @Debbie-TalkTalk or@Michelle-TalkTalk.

KeithFrench is one of our valued Community Stars and can help with a range of issues related to wireless and networking. At times he may ask you to send him test results via a Private Message to help analyse/diagnose an issue. Although Keith does not work for TalkTalk, he very kindly shares his time and knowledge to help with others.

If you need further help or, if we need to take any details such as personal information about your account like phone numbers, account numbers etc. one of the TalkTalk team will jump in and help out.

Keith

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 17 of 31

Hi @Shona8 

@Michelle-TalkTalk has asked me to help you. I assume this is a Windows PC? If so please go to the command prompt & run it as an administrator. In there please enter this command:-

netsh wlan show wlanreport

and press the Enter key.

It creates a report & saves several files to the folder

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WlanReport

This folder is hidden. but can easily be found by pasting the above path into the run dialogue (WIN & R). Please zip all of them up& attach them to your reply.

The report is from about 3 hours ago, so if you want to see what happened at say 10:00, you will need to wait until at least 13:00, but it does not matter if the PC is turned off during the period of waiting.

Keith

0 Likes

Private Message TalkTalk

Message 18 of 31

It actually stopped working about 6 months ago, however as I was taking a break from work I assumed it was to do with an update needed on the laptop. However I have returned to work now and the laptop was updated completely and it still will not connect to the talk talk network (it will connect to my phone via a hot spot though, and connects to other wifi networks). 

The eero has been rebooted many times because it is not very good in general (I have contacted talk talk about this in the past and been sent a new one, so it's not that). 

There are many error messages I will attach a word document of all the screenshots. 

Edited to say I'm not sure what channel it is on but the eero app says "connected to internet, connection wired, wired data rate 1gbps, wifi radio analytics 2.4 ghz, 5ghz"

0 Likes

Message 19 of 31

@KeithFrench  - Do you also have any possible suggestions please?

Michelle

Message 20 of 31

Hi Shona,

Ok thanks for confirming. If this has only just stopped connecting to the laptop, have you tried rebooting the eero and then tried re-connecting again? Do you see a specific error message when trying to connect? Do all other devices connect ok? What wireless channel is your eero connecting to please?

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes