cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEED SOME HELP?

We’re here 24/7. 365 days a year.
Ask questions. Find your answers. Connect.

Advice Required - Best Desktop Computer Connection Method With Full Fibre 150

TaffStrat
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 10 of 10

Hi All, I've recently had Full Fibre 150 with Digital Voice installed (upgraded from Fibre 65) but noticed that my desktop computer is now struggling for speed (4mbps). The previous wifi router was located upstairs with an ethernet cable connected directly to the desktop, but the new Eero installation is now downstairs in the hall.

What I originally thought would be an effective solution has not worked out as well as anticipated... a 5 port ethernet switch from the one (of 2) remaining Eero port, and a cable from that to a BT gigabit powerline adapter up to the bedroom. Whilst the desktop is admittedly dated, the best speeds achieved appear to be 4.5mbps download, and 29mbps upload. The powerline adapters are a matched trio, the other one supplying my smart tv and original YouView box.

My question is, am I better off trying to get the current set up to work effectively, given that the ethernet adapter on the desktop (and the desktop itself) is going to be dated?... or should I maybe "bite the bullet" and fork out for a usb wifi adapter and hope that the performance is greatly improved?

As always, any suggestions/advice would be genuinely and greatly appreciated.

Brian Chaloner
0 Likes
9 REPLIES 9

Message 1 of 10

Morning,

Thanks for the update 🙂

Thanks

Message 2 of 10

Okay, just to confirm that after a reset of the three powerline adapters, I'm now getting around 50mbps on the desktop... which is much more acceptable! I've also checked my iPhone signal upstairs next to the desktop and the wifi signal gave me around 70mbps. And to answer your last question mrwrighty, yes the wall sockets both upstairs and downstairs appear to be on the same circuit.

Many thanks indeed for the responses, they've been very helpful and greatly appreciated!

Brian Chaloner
0 Likes

Message 3 of 10

Sorry I edited my question. Are all sockets on the same circuit, i.e. turning off a single breaker turns off all the sockets.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 10

Thanks mrwrighty… yes, all three are plugged directly into wall sockets! I’m about to try a reset of the power line adapters to see if it makes a difference.

Brian Chaloner
0 Likes

Message 5 of 10

I did try a reset of the power line adapters last week, but will try it again… maybe I didn’t do it correctly? I’ll try again Chris, many thanks.

Brian Chaloner
0 Likes

mrwrighty
Enlightened One
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 6 of 10

Unfortunately power line adapters are not very good, some are better than others but they will not give anywhere near the advertised speeds.

Just to check that the Powerline adapter is plugged in to the wall socket both ends and not an extension lead. They must also not be plugged in to a surge protected extension lead. Also is your downstairs socket circuit the same as the upstairs socket circuit, i.e. one breaker turns off all sockets. 

In terms of Wifi, firstly what is the Wifi signal like to a mobile device near to where the PC is located. If the signal is poor then a USB wifi adapter will unlikely give much improvement. It might be worth considering adding another Eero node to your network.

Message 7 of 10

It sounds as though the drop in speed one the device upstairs may have something to do with the electrical wiring but have you tried resetting the powerline adapters? 

Chris

TaffStrat
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 8 of 10

Hi Chris, yes, my iPad is on around 150mbps (28mbps upload) and my iPhone is the same, so the Wi-Fi signal is fine. The smart tv and YouView box (via power line adapter) appear to be much more stable since the upgrade, but I’m not sure if I can test the signal strength on those?

Brian Chaloner
0 Likes

Chris-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 9 of 10

Hi TaffStrat,

Do you have any wireless devices? if you do what sort of speeds do you get on those?

Chris

0 Likes