cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEED SOME HELP?

We’re here 24/7. 365 days a year.
Ask questions. Find your answers. Connect.

Can I keep my traditional landline phone with Full Fibre?

TD1966
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 15 of 15

Currently on Fibre 65 but as my contract runs out in a few months I'm looking at the F500 package to take advantage of the tri-band Eero. I'm sure when I looked into this a few months ago, there was an option to have a digital voice adapter which plugged into the Eero, which my traditional hand set phone would then plug into. However, I'm no longer seeing that option and only stuff about the digital voice app, which if I understand correctly means I can use my mobile with my landline number without having the physical adapter box (or am I wrong on that?). That said, I dont really want to use my mobile as my 'home phone', and would rather keep my traditional hand set. Call me old fashioned I know.

Can anyone please clarify the situation here please?

On another related topic, as I understand it, if I do use a physical voice adapter, would that mean I would then have no spare ethernet ports to plug devices into? IE....My main PC currently sits near our modem router and connects via ethernet cable.

Thanks for any assistance.............Tony

0 Likes
14 REPLIES 14

Message 1 of 15

Hi

I would check your order with our fibre teams if you are not sure if you included Digital Voice, to make sure you requested this.

Karl

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 2 of 15

I dont think that was an option on the ordering page.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 15

Hi

If you ordered fibre with digital voice, then a digital voice adapter will be included with the equipment that is sent.

Karl

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

TD1966
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 4 of 15

I finally bit the bullet and ordered the FF150 package (via the website) with the extra EERO and the TV package. However, I'm still not clear on whether the Digital Voice Adapter is included. On the email confirmation of the order, it lists the equipment that will be sent, but no mention of the VOIP adater?

0 Likes

Message 5 of 15
0 Likes

TD1966
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 6 of 15

Thanks for all the info thus far. Now looking at FF150 but with a second Eero to form a mesh network (one upstairs, one downstairs). TT have the option for a second Eero for £6 per month, but does anyone know if that is the full Eero or the extender (ie no ethernet ports)?

I'm assuming that if it does have ethernet ports, then I can use those to plug in devices eg PC, and that the 2 Eeros communicate via Wifi?

Thanks..............

0 Likes

TD1966
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 8 of 15

Thanks for the good news.

So - If I understand correctly, the Digital Voice Adapter would plug into the second ethernet port on the Eero, the first port being the cable from the ONT.

If so, as suggested in an earlier post, I could use a cheap switch (eg TP-Link TL-SF1005D), I could plug the DVA and also an ethernet cable to the static Personal Computer there?

0 Likes

Message 9 of 15

Hi TD1966

Thanks for your post. 

I have checked your account and the Voip option is available and the Digital Voice adaptor comes with the Eero as part of the package,  call the loyalty team on 03451720088 The will be able to see what options are available. 

Regards

0 Likes

Message 10 of 15

No point buying anything if VOIP is not provided on the service. The best thing to do is ring the full fibre team and speak to them and they will confirm whether or not VOIP is available to you.

0 Likes

TD1966
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 11 of 15

I'm not sure that is still the case. As I said in my first post, the only options you can pick currently make it clear there is no landline. Just data.

Have TT moved the goalposts and no longer provide the free VOIP adapter? If so, I guess I could buy one myself?

0 Likes

Message 12 of 15

If the Eero is supplied and you request VOIP then they should supply the adapter.

0 Likes

TD1966
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 13 of 15

Thanks for the reply. I may revisit the speed as F500 does sound a lot given that my current fibre 65 package works well. Perhaps I'll go the F150 option?

As for the Grandstream adapter, is that something Talktalk will provide for free, or do I have to purchase one?

0 Likes

mrwrighty
Enlightened One
Private Message
Message 14 of 15

Lack of ethernet ports is easily fixed with a small switch about £20 from Amazon. Yes your traditional copper service will be migrated to VOIP and then if you have the Eero router you will require the Grandstream adapter for your phone. If you have the HUB2 it has a telephone adapter built in and has more ports. Just bear in mind that if you have copper extensions in the house they will no longer work. The mobile App is an added function if you want to use your landline on your mobile, but not essential.

To be honest do you really need the Tri_band Eero not many device support WiFi 6 and with 500mbps internet service it is extremely unlikely you will saturate the Wifi or the download speeds.

I'm on standard Wifi on a FTTP 65 circuit and not once saturated my connection and I work from home developing apps and uploading, downloading lots and watching streaming TV.

You will need to confirm who will install the FTTP circuit as City Fibre, to my knowledge, still do not support VOIP on their circuits. Not sure about other providers other than BT who do provide VOIP.

0 Likes