cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEED SOME HELP?

We’re here 24/7. 365 days a year.
Ask questions. Find your answers. Connect.

Converting from Copper ADSL Telephone and Broadband to Full Fibre

slowsurfer1
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 3 of 3

My (Imminent ?) transfer from Copper Cable to Fibre Cable for my Telephone and Broadband Services –

URGENT RESPONSE REQUIRED!

I was visited by two workmen from KELLY COMMUNICATIONS (whom I believe are employed as sub-contractors to TalkTalk?), last Friday morning, 22 March 2024.

The workmen announced “that they were here to run a fibre duct into my home, ready for conversion from copper to full fibre, which has been scheduled by TalkTalk for FRIDAY 19 APRIL 2024”.

I have not received any form of communication from TalkTalk about this conversion - and nor is this the first time that sub-contractors (presumably also employed by TalkTalk?) have turned up at my home “to run a duct for fibre cable as previously arranged by TalkTalk” - As nothing had actually been communicated to me by TalkTalk, on those particular occasions I sent them away!

JUST WHAT IS GOING ON ?

WHY HAVE TALKTALK CONSISTENTLY FAILED TO COMMUNICATE WITH ME ABOUT THIS CONVERSION FROM COPPER TO FIBRE INTO MY HOUSE ?

IS THIS CONVERSION FROM COPPER TO FIBRE INTO MY HOUSE ACTUALLY GOING AHEAD ON 19 APRIL 2024 ?

Whenever this conversion may take place, TalkTalk needs to fully understand that simply running a fibre cable tail into my house to replace the existing copper cable tail IS NOT GOING TO BE AS STRAIGHT-FORWARD AS IT APPEARS ON PAPER, for the following reasons:

1. The existing copper cable tail enters into my house in the Hall, at a Termination Point directly behind the front door and there is no AC Mains Socket in the proximity of this point.

1. For that reason, the BT Master Socket was actually installed on the opposite side of the Hall, in close proximity to an AC Mains Socket, the connection between the BT Master Socket and the Termination Point of the incoming copper cable being made via concealed cabling in the house walls.

1. My landline telephone (Siemens Gigaset C475) is plugged into the BT Master Socket and also into an adjacent AC Mains Socket.

1. A Telephone Extension Socket is fitted upstairs in Bedroom #4 and is connected to the downstairs BT Master Socket by concealed cabling in the house walls.

1. My TalkTalk (Huawei HG633) ADSL2+ Broadband Router is upstairs and plugged into my adjacent Acer Laptop and Dell PC computers and also the adjacent AC Mains Socket and Bedroom #4 Telephone Extension Socket

(I have prepared a simple diagram showing the arrangement and I am attaching  this if it helps).

Please note:  The Dell PC does not have a ‘Wireless’ option.

Bedroom #4 does have an outside wall, facing the side of the house.

IF THIS CONVERSION FROM COPPER TO FIBRE IS TO PROCEED, THEN I NEED TO URGENTLY KNOW FROM TALKTALK:

Can the fibre be run into Bedroom #4 ?

How many AC Mains Sockets would be required to serve the Fibre Termination Unit, plus the Fibre-to-Telephone Converter Unit ?

Can the ‘Telephone’ output of the Fibre-to-Telephone Converter Unit be connected to the existing Bedroom #4 Telephone Extension Socket (and subsequently to the  landline Siemens Gigaset telephone downstairs) ?

0 Likes
2 REPLIES 2

Debbie-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 1 of 3

Hi slowsurfer1

I'm really sorry to hear this.

Please can you add your name, TalkTalk account number and FTTP order number to your Community Profile, we can then take a look at this for you.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 2 of 3

You won't get "urgently" I'm afraid as the long Bank Holiday weekend is almost upon this. 

You don't have to go ahead with the installation if you don't want it to, although eventually all services will have to switch to Full Fibre at some point

The fibre entry point can be accommodated on any external wall in the direction from which it comes, within reason.

Your internal extension sockets will effectively become redundant, although there are somewhat complex workarounds if you insist on using them after the move to Digital Voice.

Finally, if you would like the support team here to look into this for you make sure that your personal details including TalkTalk phone number and/or account number are complete on your community profile (click here) so that they can link your forum identity with your account and then wait for them to respond, bearing in mind what I said earlier about the holiday period.

0 Likes