cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEED SOME HELP?

We’re here 24/7. 365 days a year.
Ask questions. Find your answers. Connect.

Eero 6 WAN IP adress error - Can't reach the internet

Ontherun
Popular Poster
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 16 of 16

I have noticed a few posts where folks are having issues with Eero set-up at the registration stage where it can't reach the internet due to a WAN IP adress error resulting in them spending hours on end to TT support without a resolution. I now have the sam issue. Most responses point to City fibre and the requirement for an engineer however, I have been running full fibre on the Sagemcom hub with no actual connectifity issues other than range in certain parts of the house since November. I recieved an Eero 6, albeit 2nd hand from TalkTalk today thanks to Chris on here.

I have tried the 30 minute switch off / back on suggestion etc without success and WAN type is set at DHCP (default). The ONT is fully lit up & appears to be functioning as it should and the Eero has a solid blue light.

I've plugged the Sagemcom hub back in for now in order to keep me online but surely TalkTalk have got to the bottom of this by now? 

Thanks in advance.

OTR

Eero 6 set up error.jpegWLAN settings.jpeg
0 Likes
15 REPLIES 15

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 1 of 16

WiFi interference affects all routers, regardless of their make/model. Whilst it is true that you cannot change channels in the app, eero is considering introducing this facility.

Your thoughts about the eero are between you & TalkTalk.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

Message 2 of 16

And your endeavours are apreciated by many I expect so no need to go on the defensive. However, you're pointing out that a number of external networks which I assume is neighbouring households etc could affect the performance which I'm sure that most will understand. And if that is indeed an issue to the extent that devices not that far form the router cannot even see your network, then eero is not at all what it's made out to be. Particularly if a years old hub is performing better without having to troubleshoot a convoluted (for some!) configuration.

I should also have mentioned that I'm only now discovering that chennels are set automatically and cannot be accessed in the eero app to change this. Not like other routers / hubs where you can log in via 192.168.1.1 and change configuration.

OTR

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 3 of 16

I am not here to defend or criticise any TalkTalk policy. I am simply giving up my own time to offer you help.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 16

Then in that case, the Eero on it's own is not worth the effort or the expense in my opinion. In anycase, if TT are advertising an all singing, all dancing full fibre product and pushing the Eero to do it, it should be up to the job. If that means providing extenders to support the product then so it should be.

Cheers

OTR

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 5 of 16

It is not the number of devices that you have that cause WiFi interference, but the number of surrounding WiFi networks that might be interfering with your eero. Then there is an issue that might cause problems with the eero & the 5GHz band. However, that all depends on the 5GHz specification of whatever devices you are using.

Keith

0 Likes

Message 6 of 16

Hi Keith,

Apreciate your input. However, as you say, Eero is meant to minimise interference. All devices connected ok via the hub prior to installing Eero. The signal just dipped in certain areas of the house therefore looking to use an extender if possible. And to be put some context, I've currently only got 8 devices in total currently at various areas in the house to minimise interference as the Eero is only being used for the first time. I've done this to test initial performance and non of these devices are hungry users.

Cheers

OTR

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 7 of 16

Hi @Ontherun 

Slow speed, intermittent dropouts, breaks in the signal or no signal on some or all devices or no internet access might be caused by Wi-Fi interference from other local networks, which can also lead to a permanent reduction in speed. No ISP can be responsible for your local environment, this is mainly a byproduct of the popularity of Wi-Fi.

Generally speaking, the 2.4GHz band suffers a lot more from interference than the much faster 5GHz band, but the 2.4GHz one can sometimes have a better range, but this all depends on your local area.

In other words, I try to help you optimise your Wi-Fi connection. The next stage involves sending out a guide to you to help you get me some important diagnostic results so that I can analyse them for you and recommend changes to your router configuration to solve them.

I only send this out to people who request it.

Whilst the eero is supposed to manage Wi-Fi interference, if this is very bad, particularly in the 2.4GHz band, then it cannot do anything about it, no router can. The same goes for any router at that point. Other things that may then need to be investigated are its location within your property and the WiFi bands that you use. It is possible that you may also need to purchase additional eero nodes as it is supposed to operate as part of a mesh system. I can help with any of this. However, I would suggest that you follow my help to find out what the root cause of the problem is, before throwing money at it.

Keith

0 Likes

Message 8 of 16

Hi Chris,

No, it's situated at the top of the stairs which are in the middle of the house with no other devices near it. My ring devices can't even find the network with the Eero 6.

Thanks

OTR

0 Likes

Message 9 of 16

Glad to hear it's working now. Is the eero situated close to other wireless or electrical devices that could be causing interference?

Chris 

0 Likes

Message 10 of 16

Hi Chris,

Thanks for that. Now connected. I am still experiencing weak spots as before and some are a little worse. Don't TT provide extenders for this issue?

Thanks

OTR

0 Likes

Message 11 of 16

I've changed the profile. I would give it at least an hour and then you can try the eero whenever you want. Your current router should continue to work on this profile too

I'm sorry for any inconvenience. This only happens with some customers on an old profile that had to be used with the wifi hub 2 on older firmware. If a different router is supplied the profile has to be manually changed.

Chris

0 Likes

Message 12 of 16

Hi Chris,

Yes please if you would be so kind.

Still begs the question of why this is not done as a matter of course? I can imagine lots of people who are not necessarily tech savy or know about this place pulling their hair out in frustration. Particularly those who work from home.

Thanks

OTR

0 Likes

Message 13 of 16

Hi Ontherun,

As Keith says, it appears to be a profile issue. It's a quick fix but your service may be down for a few minutes some time in the next hour, would you like me to change your profile now?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 14 of 16

Thanks Keith,

If that is indeed the issue, it begs the question of why it doesn't happen as a matter of course rather than having countless customers climbing the walls seeking a solution with the risk of them walking away. Hopefully it is this simple however.

Cheers

OTR

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 15 of 16

CityFibre connections often require a profile change to be made to the fibre, before it will work with an eero. This does not need an engineer, the support staff on here can do this.

I have asked one of TalkTalk's support to pick your thread up and investigate it for you.

They aim to respond within 48 hours (Monday - Friday) excluding Bank Holidays, but if more urgent you can always try the Service Centre on 0345 172 0088. The posts are responded to in time/date order, oldest first.

Keith

0 Likes