cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEED SOME HELP?

We’re here 24/7. 365 days a year.
Ask questions. Find your answers. Connect.

Eero slow wifi

dannyhaylett
Team Player
Private Message
Message 32 of 32

On the 14th, I went live and received two Eero Pro 6 boxes, but I'm experiencing slow performance despite having a 900Mbps package. When connected wirelessly, my devices are only getting speeds between 30Mbps to 120Mbps, making it difficult for me to play Xbox games on the cloud. However, when I use a wired connection, I get speeds just over 900Mbps. My home is small, measuring only 58m2, and the rooms are adjacent to each other, with each room being roughly 3.4m2. Despite placing the second Eero in the middle, which is only 6 meters away from my Xbox, there has been no improvement in the wireless speed.

I need assistance as I followed the setup video, which was quite simple. The Eero app reports that I am receiving full speed. However, when I connect my second Eero box to my Xbox via a wired connection, I get speeds of 900Mbps. Additionally, I have attempted troubleshooting but unfortunately, I have had no luck in improving the slow wireless speeds.

Danny Haylett
0 Likes
31 REPLIES 31

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 21 of 32

As I have just said, a link rate to the Eero node that you are connected to, does not mean that your laptop is getting anywhere near 300mbps at all. I realise that your other devices are slow, it is just that your laptop has much more diagnostics available to it to try & help find the cause of the problem. Please can you get that tracert command for me, as it will tell me roughly how fast the connection is between your laptop and your main Eero node connected to the ONT.

Then another thing you can do is to connect the laptop via its LAN port to the ONT in place of the Eero & do a speed test there.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

Message 22 of 32

The sluggishness is not limited to my laptop alone; my Xbox Series X is also experiencing slow speeds. In fact, I have observed this laptop achieving wireless speeds of around 300Mbps with my previous service provider. While I do not care much about the laptop's performance, I am more concerned about being able to download and stream games on my Xbox.

Danny Haylett
0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 23 of 32

OK thanks for that, whilst this is an older WiFi adapter, it is using 802.11n or WiFi 4 and gets a link speed of 300mbs from the Eero node it is connected to. Now this doesn't mean that you can get anything like that speed, as there are an awful lot of overheads with WiFi. It just means that it is running about as fast as it will go. The next thing is to try a tracert, also from the command prompt. To do this enter:-

tracert google.co.uk

Please get me the output of that one as well.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

0 Likes

dannyhaylett
Team Player
Private Message
Message 24 of 32

There is 1 interface on the system:

Name : WiFi
Description : Broadcom 802.11n Network Adapter
GUID : 2ad450cb-3b95-44f5-b6d4-d5a9d5b45d0f
Physical address : b8:ee:65:a6:e9:5e
State : connected
SSID : Llamas
BSSID : 9c:0b:05:29:28:c6
Network type : Infrastructure
Radio type : 802.11n
Authentication : WPA2-Personal
Cipher : CCMP
Connection mode : Auto Connect
Channel : 36
Receive rate (Mbps) : 300
Transmit rate (Mbps) : 300
Signal : 96%
Profile : Llamas

Hosted network status : Not available

Just did a speed test https://www.speedtest.net/result/14620034199 
It was only 79.59, it's all over the place.

Danny Haylett
0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 25 of 32

Please open a command prompt window by going to:-

Start > Accessories > Command Prompt

In Windows 10, click the Window Icon & type:-

cmd

in the search box next to it. This should find the "Command Prompt" from there.

Once there, issue this command in the command prompt window:-

netsh wlan show interface

The command will not take effect until the Enter key is pressed. Then copy the command window output & paste it here.

To copy text from the command prompt, please see this site:-

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/copy-to-the-clipboard-from-the-windows-command-prompt/

Things are even easier in Windows 10, just highlight the text & press CTRL-C and paste it into Notepad (to try & preserve the formatting) & attach the file at the bottom of your post.

Keith

0 Likes

Message 26 of 32

Can you explain to me how to accomplish that, please? The sluggishness seems to affect all my devices, including the Xbox Series X, which only registered a speed of 30-120 Mbps during the last speed test.

Danny Haylett
0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 27 of 32

OK, thanks for that. On your laptop (assuming it is running Windows) please can you go to the command prompt & issue this command:-

netshow wlan show interface

Press the Enter key afterwards and then include the output from it in your reply.

Keith

0 Likes

Message 28 of 32

Their distance from the main box is within 6 meters, and from the hallway box is within 3 meters.
According to my app's data, the app displays that they are currently connected to the hallway box and using 5Ghz.

Danny Haylett
0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 29 of 32

Hi @dannyhaylett 

How far are these devices away from the Eero that they are connected to? You may have to use the Eero app to find this out. You cannot assume that just because one Eero is the closest to your device, that is the Eero that it is actually connected to.

Whilst in the App & looking at the device information that it provides, please make sure that these devices are actually connected to the 5GHz band & not the 2.4GHz band. Just because a device is capable of connecting to the 5GHz band, it does not follow that it is connected to this band.

Keith

0 Likes

Message 30 of 32

I'm not very tech-savvy, but I have a laptop, smartphone, Xbox Series X, and TV, all of which are connected to the 5GHz network. With my previous internet service provider, I was able to achieve at least 300Mbps+ wireless with all of these devices. However, my with Talktalk it is much slower. It's worth noting that my Xbox Series X is a recent purchase, and I only got it in November .

Edit, i found out the following below for at least 2 of my devices
Xbox series X is 
802.11ac dual band
Laptop is 802.11n

Danny Haylett
0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 31 of 32

Hi @dannyhaylett 

What sort of devices are getting this slow speed, which WiFi band are they connected to (2.4GHz or 5GHz) and what is the best WiFi standard that each supports:-

1. WiFi 6 or 6E (802.11ax)
  2. WiFi 5 (802.11ac)
  3. Wifi 4 (802.11n)
  4. Older 802.11b or g.

Keith

0 Likes