cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEED SOME HELP?

We’re here 24/7. 365 days a year.
Ask questions. Find your answers. Connect.

I want to keep fibre 35 and phone. do I have to upgrade to full fibre and digital voice.

GBy123
Whizz Kid
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 2 of 2

I need help please.  I have received an email saying that TalkTalk will be upgrading me to full fibre soon.  Some time ago I was almost forced to have it, but managed to avoid it.

I have fibre 35 and phone and my contract runs out in February 2025.  Will I be able to  renew the contract and keep everything the same i.e. broadband and phone with packages as now.  I know copper lines are being 'cut off' but TalkTalk assured me that they have a different system and would be still be used for well after the end of 2025.      I do not want the upheaval and stress that changing to full fibre would bring because -

Firstly, I need a 'landline' - I have a mobile but it is not 'smart' (don't ned one).   My BT junction box is in my hall, with an extension wire going to an answer phone (DECT) in the lounge.  My router is on the extension line upstairs at the back of the house, with my PC connected via ethernet cable,.  I have two other wireless DECT phones, one in the hall and one in a front  bedroom.    Everything works well, I have WIF equipment which works everywhere.  The speed I get (36mpg) is sufficient for my needs and I want my PC where it is (more reliable on ethernet anyway).  

IF I have full fibre - I would have to have the box in the hall and there is nowhere to put without being very unsightly and in the way, and one electric plug with an extension cable (not ideal).  I assume I would have to have the router in the hall and then PC etc. would be all wireless.

I think I would need to plug my answerphone into the router because it would need to be the base phone and hopefully all other DECT phones would work?   Will my answerphone work with this arrangement?     

I know you will upgrade me for free at the moment (although I have read that others were charged), but  do I absolutely have to have it!  

Sorry this is a bit of a ramble - main questions are:  can I renew and keep fibre 35 etc.   if not, will my answerphone and system set up work with full fibre.    I will ask about cost of it at another time!

0 Likes
1 REPLY 1

ferguson
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 1 of 2

Look, it's going to have to happen at some point. I realise you are happy with your current set up, but you will need to bite the bullet eventually.

You say you "would have to have the box in the hall." This isn't necessarily so, the engineers generally prefer to install the fibre cable and termination point on an outside wall in a convenient direction from where the cabling comes. They will discuss your personal preferences, within reason.

Any telephone extension sockets will become redundant I'm afraid. The router needs to be sited close to where the fibre connection is. 

If your current DECT phone set up includes an answerphone in the base unit then that will continue to work as normal and any additional units will connect to that wirelessly as usual.  As and when you do decide to go ahead make sure that your new package comprises of Full Fibre with VoIP, as you can't presently add on that service afterwards.

Hope this helps? 

0 Likes