cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEED SOME HELP?

We’re here 24/7. 365 days a year.
Ask questions. Find your answers. Connect.

Loss of Landline after Full Fibre cable installed.

JimS28
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 34 of 34

Had Full Fibre cable installed (Monday, 13/02/23), for the internet, but was wanting to keep the copper cable for my landline, as I have a copper wired internal extension sytem in the house.

I was advised by TalkTalk, that the copper wire connection would remain, and I would be a 'keeper', enabling me to use my existing phones and extensions.  However, since the installation, I have no live connection at the original BT Master socket and, subsquently, I am unable to use my existing telephones or extension system!

Can anyone offer any assistance, please?

JimS28
33 REPLIES 33

Message 21 of 34

@JimS28 It is a one way street I fear, FTTC along with the copper network generally are in the process of being retired. So we will all have to switch at some point in any event. Multiple DECT handsets are not that expensive and are future-proof in this context. 

There is a Complaints link at the bottom of every page.

@mrwrighty If you would like support with your issue then please start your own topic. 

0 Likes

Message 22 of 34

This is what is so frustrating regarding the lack of VOIP services on CityFibre.

I was upgraded last year in November with a Copper Leave behind service it was important I kept my number. I will be out of contract shortly with no sign of VOIP service being available via CityFibre.

Does this mean I could lose the phone service on renewal.

0 Likes

Message 23 of 34

Michelle.

Not sure if you could help me a little further, but here goes.

I originally had a FTTC, with all copper wire to my house for Broadband and Telephone.  Known as Fibre 65 with speeds of about 45/55Mbs.  This also allowed my house telephone extensions (all copper wired internally) to operate.

As my contract was due for renewal I spoke with TT and agreed to Full Fibre 65, FTTP (speeds of about 70/75Mbs) and Landline, on the understanding (as discussed at the time of agreeing the new contract) that my house extensions would still operate, as the telephone wire would still be on Copper.  I would become a ‘keeper’ of Copper, I was told.

The Full Fibre 65 FTTP was installed (13/02/23) and since then I have been unable to use my internal extensions as the ‘BT’ master socket is dead.  I am struggling to get any factual answers from TT but;

• Is FTTC still available with TT
  • Is a mix of FTTC (for the Telephone) and FTTP (for the Broadband available) with TT
  • Or is it just FTTP with TT

Would appreciate knowing as this may save me some banging of the head time.

Hope you can help?

I note from you CV you spent sometime in the complaints depart of the CEO office.  Is there such a thing now?  Trying to get to someone of any relevance (or real interest) to complain to, is a task which I appear to have truly failed at

JimS28
0 Likes

Message 24 of 34

Gondola.

Thanks for this.  Already read the article.

I was still hoping to keep my 'internal exstensions' operating for a little while longer, though.

JimS28

Message 25 of 34

Good to know the TalkTalk Digital Voice service works via FTTP broadband.

You may like to read the article from Which magazine Digital Voice and the landline phone switch off that says "... from 2023, traditional phone services won't be offered to new or recontracting customers, and by December 2025 they will be withdrawn entirely. "

GondolaCommunity Star 2017-2024

Like below to appreciate my post . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

0 Likes

Message 26 of 34

The voice service does work, via the Hub2. However, my existing 'internally wired' extensions are now useless, as the 'BT' master socket is dead! Not what I expected - or what was agreed - when I signed up for this new deal. I specifically requested and was advised, that my existing system would continue to work. I now look to have to face the prospect of buying a new (dect?) set of phones.

I have spoken to TT so many times, and to so many people/departments/etc. in the last 2-3 days.  One or 2 have been helpful, the remainder (most) just seem to be there to 'move you on'.
So frustrated that at one point I cancelled the contract (as suggested) and looked to open a new contract - using the Copper - but this was to prove more expensive than the Fibre contract. I have now, I believe and hope, been able to rescind the cancellation, so I am still on my existing contract.
The disappointing support from TT is a real shame, especially after so many years (15+?).

JimS28
0 Likes

Message 27 of 34

Hello,

I'm sorry to hear this. Are you contact with the Future Fibre Team at the moment? In your post you mention that you have a WIFI Hub2. Does the voice service work if you connect a phone via the phone port?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 28 of 34

No.

It's a long story.  My contract came to an end, I agreed with TT to 'stay as was', but when I signed up, there was a problem with the T's&C's.

I agreed to an 18month 'Fixed Price', they sent an 18months, with increases in April.  I complained but 'nothing can be done for 30 days.'

30 days later, 'oh sorry, that type of contract is no longer available', so I negotiated a 'Fibre' option with Landline (via copper).

Then, following installation, the problems began..  Let's see what tomorrow brings.........  will keep you posted.

JimS28
0 Likes

Message 29 of 34

Was this a free upgrade from an existing Fibre service or a brand new install.

0 Likes

Message 30 of 34

I received a new Router, Hub 2 but nothing else.

JimS28
0 Likes

Message 31 of 34

Yes TT will have arranged everything. I might be wrong but understood that the upgrade by Openreach comes with VOIP, my upgrade by CityFibre was copper leave behind because CityFibre don’t have VOIP services yet. Were you sent a new router (Eero in the case of Openreach) and a GrandStream telephone adapter.

0 Likes

Message 32 of 34

Quinn?  A subcontractor to Openreach.  But TT made all the arrangements

JimS28
0 Likes

mrwrighty
Enlightened One
Private Message
Message 33 of 34

Who did the install, Openreach or CityFibre

0 Likes