cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEED SOME HELP?

We’re here 24/7. 365 days a year.
Ask questions. Find your answers. Connect.

New FTTP and integrating existing phone and hardwired network via gigabit switch

Keykey
Chatterbox
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 5 of 5

Hi

I am thinking of changing from Fibre 65 via copper cable inc  hands free phone to Full Fibre 150.

I have my existing router attached to a gigabit switch for my hard wired devices

I understand the eero 6 supplied by Talktalk has one input RJ 45 and one output RJ45 Ethernet connection.

How do I connect the gigabit switch and my phone to the eero router?

The current Router gets everywhere in my 1920 stone  4 bedroom Semidetached. Can I expect the eero to do the same?

Many thanks for your time and expertise?

Best wishes

K

0 Likes
4 REPLIES 4

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 1 of 5

Hi @Keykey 

That is a very difficult question to answer, on the whole, they are broadly similar, but you may need a second eero, as it is supposed to act as a mesh network. WiFi coverage is very much a case of location, location, location. These are the best locations for a router, extender mesh nodes and your devices, but obviously, this is not always practical & a compromise has to be reached.

The general rule is do not keep it in a cupboard, but out in the open and to keep it away from:-

1. Cordless phone (DECT) base stations
  2. TVs
  3. Loudspeakers & any sub-woofers (including those used with a PC)
  4. Computer monitors
  5. Electrical appliances – they often transmit their own signals that can interfere with Wi-Fi signals.
  6. Bluetooth devices – they operate on the same Wi-Fi frequency as your broadband, which can cause signal problems.
  7. Mirrors – they actually reflect Wi-Fi signals, stopping them from passing through walls and reflecting them back into the room.
  8. Anything containing large amounts of water – things like fish tanks and boilers can absorb Wi-Fi signals like a sponge.
  9. Large metal objects – radiators, for instance, will have the same effect on your Wi-Fi as mirrors. If you have a tower PC case with an internal WiFi card, the metal of the case can block signals to & from the antennae if they are located behind the tower case.
  10. Glass - different types of glass can cause problems for Wi-Fi signals to pass through:-

a) Thick window glass or glazing can block Wi-Fi signals.
b) Low-emissivity (Low-E) windows have a metallic film that can reflect and block Wi-Fi signals more than clear glass.
c) Tinted glass often has a metallic film that can interfere with radio signals.
d) K glass double glazing has a metal vapour coating that can reduce Wi-Fi signal strength by 30-50%.

If you are using a USB Wi-Fi adapter, use a USB socket on the front of the PC, as there is more open space around it than at the rear. If a USB extension cable is used, try to ensure that it is fairly short, so that the power from the computer is not attenuated. Long extension cables can cause the adapter to not have enough power from the computer to work correctly.

Where USB or PCIe-connected WiFi adapters are concerned, power management is best disabled if running in Windows to keep a reliable Wi-Fi connection working at full speed. Once you have made the changes outlined below, it is probably best to restart the PC.

Windows Power Management issues. To check this in Windows 10 or 11, open Device Manager and expand Network adapters. Then right-click your WiFi card & select Properties. Next, click on the Power Management tab and untick Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power. If the adapter is connected via USB, then expand the USB section in Device Manager and the same option can be found in the Power Management tab in most Root Hubs and USB Controllers. Untick it in there as well.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Keykey
Chatterbox
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 3 of 5

Hi Keith

That was an easy solution!

Thanks

How does the Eero 6 and sagecom routers compare in WiFi power output?

All the best

K

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 4 of 5

You connect your phone via the Grandstream DVA to your Gigabit switch. Then connect your switch to one of the ports on the eero and connect the other eero port to the ONT. The ports on the eero automatically sense between LAN & WAN, so it does not matter which you use.

As to the eero's WiFi coverage, you will have to see how it compares. It is impossible to predict with Wi-Fi as there are so many factors that affect this.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they?