cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEED SOME HELP?

We’re here 24/7. 365 days a year.
Ask questions. Find your answers. Connect.

No wifi

JennyR
Whizz Kid
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 34 of 34

I am currently connected on my iPad to the hot spot on my phone.  My talktalk wifi will not connect to anything (weak security on iPhone 15 pro max iOS 17.4.1 or my iPad)  and has also disconnected all my wildlife cameras, Alexa up and downstairs, etc etc. so many devices are not working. There is no wifi connecting even 3 metres from the router.  The Ethernet connections are fine.

i have been told various things via chat - one stating that the talktalk t-link extender has an error although that cannot be the only problem.  They promised a new extender on the 3rd June. If that is the problem then why have I not received it.  

I spoke to various chat people yesterday for TW0 HOURS, only to be told eventually by one of them that talktalk has run out of extenders. What a waste of time and effort.

Please help as this is just not a good ‘full fibre’ service. What is going on?

I cannot live without a consistent fast broadband service, can somebody sort this out, please.

0 Likes
33 REPLIES 33

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 1 of 34

That does sound crazy @JennyR, what happens if you disconnect the Sky Qs from the TT router?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

Message 2 of 34

Thanks, Keith.  I am currently using my phone hotspot although I worry about the data usage if I can’t use WiFi whilst at home!!!!

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 3 of 34

OK @JennyR that is fine. Please tell me what the engineer says if there is anything you can't answer, then I should be able to.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 34

Hi Keith

i have limited wifi - so weird - some items are working - one Amazon echo works upstairs but the one one downstairs won’t connect.   An’t connect iPad to wifi and phone occasionally connects.  

I have arranged for  Sky Engineer to sort it out but not until 10th July.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 5 of 34

Hi @JennyR 

First off, please can you PM me the Networks Around You screenshot from NetSpot, please make sure that you use the vertical scrollbar to ensure all of your networks are displayed. Then I can check if there are any Sky boxes still in there. Can you point me in the right direction to download Sky documentation that covers your boxes, then I will try & work out how the TV is supposed to connect. However, I would guess that the Qs have inputs from your dish and HDMI cables to the TVs. The main box I would guess then connects via Ethernet to the TT router. Then the TV connects to the TalkTalk network, via Ethernet or WiFi

Keith

0 Likes

Message 6 of 34

What should the network settings in my main tv be showing? Should it be showing talktalk network or sky network?  Should the main sky q voxvd connected to a sky hotspot forming its own network?   I really don’t understand!!!

0 Likes

Message 7 of 34

Hi Keith

i have reset the network connection to  box (Ethernet) and reset the two mini q boxes to connect to the q box via wifi.  Should that have put it right

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 8 of 34

Hi @JennyR 

No rush at all, but I just wondered if you have had a chance to look at my last post yet?

Keith

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 9 of 34

Hi @JennyR 

Yes, your last screenshot does tell me quite a bit. I think (not knowing anything much about Sky Q myself), is that at some time in the past you have connected the Qs to your Sagemcom via WiFi & WPS. I think you need to tell the Wifi side of your Sky boxes to forget this connection, which, as you said yourself you no longer use, as they connect via Ethernet now.

With the Qs originally connecting via WPS, then now know the Sagemcom's WiFi network name & password. They are advertising that network, as if they are part of your WiFi network, which they are not. There is now a connection problem, all of your devices can see the TALKTALK network name & connect to it, as they also know the password. However, the big issue here is that they could easily be connecting to the Sky Q boxes & not the TalkTalk router and then would either have a slower, or non-existent connection to the internet.

Please therefore can you default the WiFi configuration of the Sky boxes, so as they won't be part of your WiFi network?

Keith

0 Likes

Message 10 of 34

Well, blow me down, all seems sorted now after my phone call to Sky.  Apparently my recordings storage was 100% full and when this happens the main Q box does funny things and that is what has happened to my set up. I have just spent half an hours deleting recordings and in the delete box deleting everything permanently and all wifi seems to be back to normal.

i am now going to try to connect my cameras and sit outside with wifi back on my iPad.  Thank you Keith, if you hadn’t pointed out the incorrect Sky set up I would never have found this out.

0 Likes

Message 11 of 34

Have these Sky boxes ever been connected to your WiFi via WPS, as per some information that I have found out on the internet. If they are connected to the Sagemcom via Ethernet, how could they possibly know your TalkTalk Network name, that is surely only likely if wirelessly connected via WPS?

Keith

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 12 of 34

They are your Sky boxes, you tell me. They should not be using the same WiFi Network name surely as your TalkTalk router. What happens if you turn them off, how is the TalkTalk WiFi then?

Keith

0 Likes

Message 13 of 34

I havn’t changed anything - the main Q box is connected to the router via Ethernet cable and the other 2 are wifi. Both are working. Who could have changed them?

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 14 of 34

Hi @JennyR 

Sky Q boxes use a separate mesh system & do not work at all well when wirelessly connected to another router (TalkTalk or otherwise). They need to be connected via an Ethernet cable to the Sagemcom & should never use the same network name as the TalkTalk router. Can you at least set them to use a different WiFi network name & retry your TalkTalk wireless?

Keith

0 Likes

Message 15 of 34

Hi Keith

i presume that those are my three Q boxes. One main box and two others

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 16 of 34

Hi @JennyR 

Thank you that screenshot is fine (although I would have liked to have seen the others I requested). However, I can see one problem: why are 3 out of 4 routers using your network name SKY products? I would suggest that you turn all of those off & retest it.

Keith

0 Likes

Message 17 of 34

Hi Keith

I now have a signal on my laptop. Save now sorted.  I have sent you a PM can you reply so i will then have a reply optionl.

i have only one screenshot although can you let me know if i have to do a separate screen shot for each device in 2.4ghz (there are none showing in 5ghz although i know I do have a few devices in 5ghz.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 18 of 34

Hi @JennyR 

You just use the Save icon in the Snipping Tool:-

save iconsave icon

In Windows 11 they are automatically saved to the Pictures\Screenshots folder as well.

Keith

Message 19 of 34

Hi keith

i have been trying to save the ‘snipping tool’ screen shots on my laptop.  They are not automatically being saved or there is no option to save it.  Any ideas.

also - tonight the wifi came back for about an hour - with quite a strong signal!!

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 20 of 34

Hi @JennyR 

Please, PM the screenshots to me, to protect your privacy, do not put them in your thread, as anyone can see them. Hence why I have removed it from your post.

Please make sure that NetSpot is maximised before taking any screenshots & use the Insert Photos with the Size parameter set to large.

Please read the instructions again in my guide on how to use Netspot. You have not set the Select All option, so only your networks will be shown. Please also get all of the other screenshots that I have requested.

Thanks.

Keith