cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEED SOME HELP?

We’re here 24/7. 365 days a year.
Ask questions. Find your answers. Connect.

Problem Connecting to Fortinet VPN

DarrenW66
Repeat Guest
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 28 of 28

Hi there, I've recently started experiencing connecting through Fortinet VPN from my home network (Talk Talk Fibre 65) when connecting through mobile data doesn't seem to have this problem.  is this a know problem from Talk Talk wifi and if so, are there any known solutions, please?

0 Likes
27 REPLIES 27

Message 1 of 28

Hi DarrenW66

Thank you 🙂

The router is on its way, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Please let us know how you get on.

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 2 of 28

My apologies, I just added that now.

Thank you

Message 3 of 28

Hi DarrenW66

Please can you add your TalkTalk account number to your Community Profile, I can then send the replacement router for testing.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 4 of 28

Hi Michelle, yes please, let's give that a go.  I'll send it back if it doesn't help.

Thank you

Message 5 of 28

Hi Darren,

I'm sorry to hear this. Would you like us to send a replacement router for testing purposes to rule this out?

Thanks

Michelle

Message 6 of 28

Ah, OK, I guess I'm not then.  As I indicated, I wasn't sure.  My apologies 

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 7 of 28

It is just that your screenshot of the configuration you gave me, clearly shows that you are not using any certificates.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

Message 8 of 28

Hi again Keith.  The Windows update hasn't helped, unfortunately.  Also, what appeared to be working by using the VPNBook connection is also no longer working.  I have to hot spot on my mobile phone data connection to get this to work at the moment.

Just coming back to your previous question(s):

'The Forticlient contacts the server and performs some encrypted exchange. Are you sure that you don't need to use any certificates? Did this ever work to your employer's VPN server?'

I'm at the limit of my technical expertise on this matter at this point.  However, I do believe certificates are used (I seem to recall something about certificates coming up occasionally when connecting the rdp).  And yes, this connection has previously been fine to my employer's server, it's just been the last 3 weeks or so when the problem seems to have arisen.

I realise that you're probably unable to help further on this, but I'm grateful for what you have done in getting things this far.  I don't know if the TalkTalk team are able to help any further?

0 Likes

Message 9 of 28

Morning Darren,

We'll check back in with you in a few days to see how you're getting on.

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 10 of 28

Hi Keith, thanks for this update, it may have fixed things:)  I'll check over the next couple of days, though as sometimes I have been able to connect through the vpn and then the problem has arisen again.   If it is fixed, I'll action the 'Accept' as requested.

If it's not fixed it, I'll repost the post that was deleted (as far as I can remember  what I wrote).  Sorry I didn't get to this before now, I've been tied up with some other things over the last couple of days.

Best regards

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 11 of 28

Hi @DarrenW66 

Apparently, there was a bug in Windows 10/11 that has been affecting VPNs recently (mine were unaffected). This has been fixed in the Patch Tuesday update for Windows released today. Although this is normally a security only update, Microsoft has also rolled out this fix as well. Once updated, please can you retry? I am not hoping for much, but you never know.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

0 Likes

Message 12 of 28

Hi DarrenW66,

Your last post has been automatically moved to spam quarantine. Could you try posting it again without the link, hopefully this will go through OK

Chris

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 13 of 28

Hi @DarrenW66 

Which VPNBook SSL servers were you using, I haven't found any supporting SSL. What I did do was to analyse a connection attempt of my own that gets to about 48% using a VPNGate SSL server in Wireshark. The Forticlient contacts the server and performs some encrypted exchange. Are you sure that you don't need to use any certificates? Did this ever work to your employer's VPN server?

Keith

0 Likes

Message 14 of 28

Hi again Keith, thank you for persevering with this.

Generally it gets to 40% before failing.

Interestingly, if I run the open vpn (vpnbook) on my machine and then connect to Fortinet, it seems to connect much better.  

I don't know if that helps explain the problem here?

Thank you again,

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 15 of 28

Hi @DarrenW66 

I have been trying all of the free SSL VPN servers that I can find & can't connect to any of them. When you try & connect to your work network, what percentage does the connection reach before it fails?

Keith

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 16 of 28

Hi @DarrenW66 

Thanks for that, I'll give it a try & come back to you.

Keith

Message 17 of 28

Thanks Keith, just sent to you....

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 18 of 28

@DarrenW66 

Please can you send me a PM (to protect your Privacy) with a screenshot of how you have it configured, so as I can test this in the same way that you are using it?

The information below is provided by TalkTalk, for confirmation please contact @Debbie-TalkTalk or@Michelle-TalkTalk.

KeithFrench is one of our valued Community Stars and can help with a range of issues related to wireless and networking. At times he may ask you to send him test results via a Private Message to help analyse/diagnose an issue. Although Keith does not work for TalkTalk, he very kindly shares his time and knowledge to help with others.

If you need further help or, if we need to take any details such as personal information about your account like phone numbers, account numbers etc. one of the TalkTalk team will jump in and help out.

Keith

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 19 of 28

Thanks, I'll have a look at it.

Keith

0 Likes

Message 20 of 28
0 Likes