cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEED SOME HELP?

We’re here 24/7. 365 days a year.
Ask questions. Find your answers. Connect.

Public IP Location

nevbull91
First Timer
Private Message
Message 7 of 7

hi All

Just upgraded to Fibre500 from 150 - changeover went ok. One very annoying issue I now have though is that the location of my allocated public IP address is not in my actual location - it's 40 odd miles away! 

So sites like google maps that use public IP locations to work out my current location think I'm 40 miles away.

Talktalk support have no clue on how to fix it - operators on the chat have no clue what a public IP address is and if I call, I keep getting cut off of phone calls.

Has anyone else had this issue and a fix??? Or could someone from Talktalk support actually help me?

0 Likes
6 REPLIES 6

Message 1 of 7

The Edge router issuing your public IP address has changed.

I added a link to Google in my reply so that you can tell Google Maps your exact home location.

My public IP address currently tells me I'm 12 miles from where my home is.

GondolaCommunity Star 2017-2024

Like below to appreciate my post . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

0 Likes

Message 2 of 7

Thanks Gondola - interesting.  So why has it been fine for the 18 months I had fibre 150 and now it’s 40miles off?

0 Likes

Message 3 of 7

Your public IP address is issued by the TalkTalk Network Edge router which may well be located 40 miles from your home. Geo-location by public IP address does not identify your home location or the location of your router.

Google advice on how to Find & improve your location.

GondolaCommunity Star 2017-2024

Like below to appreciate my post . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

Message 4 of 7

hi Divsec - I have a wired setup - no WIFI.

Nev.

0 Likes

Divsec
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 5 of 7

Hi @nevbull91 and apologies to @Michelle-TalkTalk for interfering, but this is how Google location works "Google uses a geolocation system called Wi-Fi location tracking to determine your location. This method is similar to using GPS, but instead of relying on satellites, it uses Wi-Fi networks and access points to pinpoint your location." According to Google. 

I don't work here and all my opinions are my own.
0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 6 of 7

Hello,

I'm sorry to hear this. Can I just confirm, have you tried powering down the ONT for a full 30 minutes and then retested this again?

Thanks

Michelle