cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEED SOME HELP?

We’re here 24/7. 365 days a year.
Ask questions. Find your answers. Connect.

Request to switch off WiFi Optimisation

rgbargey
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 8 of 8

Hi, I'm getting fairly frequent disconnections on my WiFi devices even though the signal is strong & I have no channel congestion. Could you please switch off WiFi Optimisation on my HUB2 to see if this helps. Thanks

0 Likes
7 REPLIES 7

Message 1 of 8

Hi rgbargey

I'm so glad to hear this, thanks for letting us know.

I can pass on your feedback to our Devices Team. If you have any further information to add then please can you send me a Private Message.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

rgbargey
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 2 of 8

I am happy to report that since WiFi Optimisation was switched off on my HUB2, my Echo Dots have maintained a solid connection on 5GHz. I have almost enjoyed the learning process of investigating and resolving problems with the HUB2's behaviour, but I am of the opinion that it would be better and more efficient for TalkTalk and ordinary customers if the HUB2's Firmware was updated to prevent these problems from occurring in the first place. This thread may not be the place to post such suggestions, but I am unable to post them in the Share Your Ideas section (Error 404), so I am going to start a new topic under the heading HUB2 Firmware. I much appreciate the help given and knowledge shared by TalkTalk Staff & others in this Community.  Very Many Thanks.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 8

Hi rgbargey

Thanks for your reply.

WIFI optimisation can sometimes affect this so it's worth testing with this switched off.

I will check in again with you next week to see how the connection has been.

Debbie

0 Likes

rgbargey
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 4 of 8

Many thanks. When I transitioned from HUB1 to HUB2, I experienced 2 new problems that I had not had with the HUB1, namely eratically slow WiFi, and intermittent disconnections. I observed identical behaviour from the 3 HUB2s I experimented with (one extra purchased, and one supplied by TT).  I tried separating the 2.4GHz and 5GHz SSIDs, setting the channels to 11 & 36, and connecting only to the 5GHz signal. This immediately solved the WiFi speed issue, and I now get the maximum speed for my package (75mb/s). Interestingly, I did not have to separate the SSIDs on my HUB1, which operated perfectly with the same 7 dual-band devices in the same locations, so I have concluded that the HUB2 has a problem communicating optimally with dual-band devices.

The second problem I have had with the HUB2 is that occasionally my Echo Dots report they are "having difficulty connecting to the internet".  On the 5GHz band, Echo Dots can only connect on Channels 36-48, so if the router jumps temporarily to a higher channel they would loose connection. As the signal strength is good and I have no WiFi congestion issue, I am thinking WiFi Optimisation could possibly be the cause of the disconnection problem. I'll monitor for a week and report whether the intermittent connection problem has disappeared or not.

0 Likes

Message 5 of 8

Hi rgbargey

I've switched the WIFI optimisation off, please let us know how the connection compares.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

rgbargey
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 6 of 8

Yes please, I think my 5GHz may be jumping to channels that my devices can't see (like channel 155)

Chris-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 7 of 8

Hi rgbargey,

We switch off wifi optimisation to allow you to manually set a wifi channel without optimisation changing the channel to a different one - is this what you want to do?

Chris

0 Likes