cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEED SOME HELP?

We’re here 24/7. 365 days a year.
Ask questions. Find your answers. Connect.

Slow speeds in the home

Geordiescott
First Timer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 14 of 14

Recently had full fibre installed with two eero 6s worked great first day but ever since the speeds my devices are getting are very poor and speeds go up and down 

eero app says I’m getting 900 mbps but all speed tests I do on devices say I’m getting a fraction of that HELP

Sp webber
0 Likes
13 REPLIES 13

Message 1 of 14

Hi Geordiescott,

I still can't see any indication that another eero has been dispatched so I've ordered another one, and a returns bag to send the old one back in. Please allow up to  working days for the eero to be delivered but you will usually receive it within a couple of working days

Thanks

Chris

0 Likes

Message 2 of 14

Hi Chris 

can you confirm a replacement eero has been sent out ? 
if not can you arrange please 

Sp webber
0 Likes

Message 3 of 14

Apologies, I didn't know that an eero had been ordered. I can see a care note saying that an eero has been order but there's no indication that it has been dispatched yet. I'll check again tomorrow

Chris

0 Likes

Message 4 of 14

Hi Chris 

I was under the impression a replacement eero had already been sent out as the person I spoke to on live chat on Friday said that was the issue then said it was cables .

i changed the cables a d the speeds have improved but still only half of what I should be getting but if I link my tv to the eero I have in the living room the speed drops off massively 

Sp webber
0 Likes

Message 5 of 14

Hi Geordiescott,

I can send another eero to test with, would you like me to arrange this?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 6 of 14

Updated profile 

Sp webber
0 Likes

Message 7 of 14

Hi Geordiescott,

Can your please update your community profile to include your:

• Name
  • Telephone number
  • Alternative contact number

We'll then look into this further. Please do not post this information on this thread. Once you've updated your profile please post in your topic to confirm it's updated.

Thanks

Chris

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 8 of 14

This looks like an eero hardware issue to me. A speed test from the eero app on the gateway error in the hallway shows 900Mbps. There is a second eero Pro 6 in the lounge and a TV connected via Ethernet records a download of just 8.89Mbps. Checking the state of the eero to eero backhaul this is fine according to the eero app.

I have asked one of TalkTalk's support to pick your thread up and investigate it for you.

They aim to respond within 48 hours (Monday - Friday) excluding Bank Holidays, but if more urgent you can always try the Service Centre on 0345 172 0088. The posts are responded to in time/date order, oldest first.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 9 of 14

That is rubbish, isn't it? Can you please get me a screenshot of the app whilst on the Home tab, so I can check the quality it reports for the eero - eero connection? Please PM this to me to preserve your privacy.

The information below is provided by TalkTalk, for confirmation please contact @Debbie-TalkTalk or@Michelle-TalkTalk.

KeithFrench is one of our valued Community Stars and can help with a range of issues related to wireless and networking. At times he may ask you to send him test results via a Private Message to help analyse/diagnose an issue. Although Keith does not work for TalkTalk, he very kindly shares his time and knowledge to help with others.

If you need further help or, if we need to take any details such as personal information about your account like phone numbers, account numbers etc. one of the TalkTalk team will jump in and help out.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

0 Likes

Geordiescott
First Timer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 10 of 14

Hi Keith 

just done a speed test on my tv and it’s saying 8.89 mbps 

image.jpg

Sp webber
0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 11 of 14

Can your TV do a speed test, that could test the eero to eero connection like that?

Do not worry about interpreting the results, I will do that for you. I will send a PM to you that contains a link for a guide of mine on Wi-Fi interference. It is quite long (about 30 pages), but you will probably only need to look at three or four pages in total. Initially look at the section called "Are you suffering from interference – prove it first". This is the first link in the table of contents. This section includes full details of free Wi-Fi analysers that I recommend for Windows, Windows phone, Android and Apple operating systems. However, I have no way of testing the Apple product. Select the analyser of your choice & my guide explains how to use it.

If you are using Wi-Fi Scanner, then please attach the zip file to this thread. As soon as I have downloaded it, I will remove the attachment from your post, to preserve your privacy.

With all other analysers, please follow my instructions below.

Collect the screenshots that I require and include them in your reply.

Please post the screenshots to me in a PM (to protect your privacy), which I have requested in my guide. No photos please as they can be difficult to read, because the text can get out of focus when zoomed in. Please ensure that the analyser window is maximised (if Windows) before taking the screenshots & upload them via the "Insert Photos" button (in a mobile browser it's the picture icon) on the post editor's toolbar with the Size parameter set to Large.

The information below is provided by TalkTalk, for confirmation please contact @Debbie-TalkTalk or@Michelle-TalkTalk.

KeithFrench is one of our valued Community Stars and can help with a range of issues related to wireless and networking. At times he may ask you to send him test results via a Private Message to help analyse/diagnose an issue. Although Keith does not work for TalkTalk, he very kindly shares his time and knowledge to help with others.

If you need further help or, if we need to take any details such as personal information about your account like phone numbers, account numbers etc. one of the TalkTalk team will jump in and help out.

Keith

0 Likes

Message 12 of 14

Keith 

any help or guidance you can give will be most appreciated 

talk talk and the eero app state I’m getting 900+ mbps 

My tv is connected to my second eero by Ethernet the first eero is connected to the full fibre box open reach connected up a couple of weeks ago 

Sp webber
0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 13 of 14

Slow speed, intermittent dropouts, breaks in the signal or no signal on some or all devices or no internet access might be caused by Wi-Fi interference from other local networks, which can also lead to a permanent reduction in speed. No ISP can be responsible for your local environment, this is mainly a byproduct of the popularity of Wi-Fi.

However, other factors should be investigated first. When this happens, what is the status displayed in the app for the internet connection? Do you have any wired connections & if so, how do they perform?

Generally speaking, the 2.4GHz band suffers a lot more from interference than the much faster 5GHz band, but the 2.4GHz one can sometimes have a better range, but this all depends on your local area.

In other words, I try to help you optimise your Wi-Fi connection. The next stage involves sending out a guide to you to help you get me some important diagnostic results so that I can analyse them for you and recommend changes to your router configuration to solve them.

I only send this out to people who request it.

Whilst the eero is supposed to manage Wi-Fi interference, if this is very bad, particularly in the 2.4GHz band, then it cannot do anything about it, no router can. The same goes for any router at that point. Other things that may then need to be investigated are its location within your property and the WiFi bands that you use. It is possible that you may also need to purchase additional eero nodes as it is supposed to operate as part of a mesh system. I can help with any of this. However, I would suggest that you follow my help to find out what the root cause of the problem is, before throwing money at it.

Keith

0 Likes