cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEED SOME HELP?

We’re here 24/7. 365 days a year.
Ask questions. Find your answers. Connect.

TP-LINK RE650 EXTENDER.

monty74
First Timer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 9 of 9

Please bare with me.....

I have bought a TP-LINK RE650 EXTENDER. Up to recently after I set it up the extender LED lights were lit on the power button, the 2.3ghz light and the 5 ghz. But today the 5ghz is no longer lit up. So I have tried re-setting the extender again, but it will not connect on the app. It just gets up to 39% on the loading on the app and stops. It says try starting again. The only way of connecting the extender to the router is by WPS. When I do this it will only conect to the 2.3 ghz. I have spoke to a technician at TP-LINK and they were useless...he said to put the channel to 36 in my wi-fi settings and disable the DFS. Well this is where I struggled...their is no DFS setting in TALKTALK settings. So can anyone advise if their is an equivalent name for the DFS, if so where is it and what is it called. I read something about turning the optimising off or something. Any help would be much appreciated? Thankyou. 

0 Likes
8 REPLIES 8

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 1 of 9

You're very welcome, glad it is sorted.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

Message 2 of 9

First of all thankyou very much for all your replies, it's much appreciated.

The TP-LINK support has been an absolute joke. Tha advice on here as been great. The one thing the TP-LINK failed to say was just try turning the router off then on after about 2 minutes. I also changed the 5ghz channel to 36 and a combination of both...boom,guess what the 5ghz light came on the Extender. After a day it's still on. When I first set up the extender all the lights: power button, 2.3 ghz and 5ghz were lit up. It was just 3 days ago for some reason the 5ghz went out. 

Anyway for now it's working and it's just about communicating with others...simple things. Just a shame these companies are like my gaffer at work... f@#*ing useless!

0 Likes

Message 3 of 9

First of all thankyou very much for all your replies, it's much appreciated.

The TP-LINK support has been an absolute joke. Tha advice on here as been great. The one thing the TP-LINK failed to say was just try turning the router off then on after about 2 minutes. I also changed the 5ghz channel to 36 and a combination of both...boom,guess what the 5ghz light came on the Extender. After a day it's still on. When I first set up the extender all the lights: power button, 2.3 ghz and 5ghz were lit up. It was just 3 days ago for some reason the 5ghz went out. 

Anyway for now it's working and it's just about communicating with others...simple things. Just a shame these companies are like my gaffer at work... f@#*ing useless! Thankyou👍

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 4 of 9

Hi @monty74 

Having downloaded the user guide for your repeater (no it is not an extender as it connects back to the router over the router's WiFi, it would need to be connected via an Ethernet to be an extender), what is the state of the Signal light on it? You only mention that the power & 2.4GHz LEDs are on. The Signal LED needs to be solid blue to indicate that your TP-Link is connected to your router’s wireless network and is in a suitable location.

It would also seem from a quick read of the user guide (I have never worked on this TP-Link, so I can only go on this information), that when connecting via WPS, you first connect it to the one band and then attempt a second connection via WPS to the other Wi-Fi band.

If the Signal light is not solid blue, this would suggest to me that there was a problem with the second WPS attempt. Not knowing what make/model of router you have, WPS can sometimes be disabled on either band independently of each other. This is true of the Sagemcom WiFi Hubs (FAST 5364 & 5464), is WPS enabled in the router for each band?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 5 of 9

No problem.

Keith

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 6 of 9
0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 7 of 9

Hi @monty74 

@Michelle-TalkTalk has asked me to help you. There is no alternative name for DFS (Dynamic Frequency Selection) and neither is there a setting for it. It is all down to the channels that you configure on the router. To prevent DFS from being active, just avoid using the 5GHz channels in the range 52 – 140. This is because these channels share the frequency spectrum with another service, which has a higher priority than Wi-Fi. If your router is using any channel in this range & then this service is detected on it, the router must change to another channel immediately (typically this will be in the initial group of channels 36 to 48). Therefore the advice you were given by TP-Link does make sense, because 36 - 48 are the most compatible channels. However, this does not solve your problem.

Do any dual-band devices detect the 5GHz band coming out of your router?

Keith

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 8 of 9

Morning,

@KeithFrench - Would you be able to offer any advice please?

Thanks

Michelle