cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEED SOME HELP?

We’re here 24/7. 365 days a year.
Ask questions. Find your answers. Connect.

Slow eero speeds on wifi dongle

Chopkins117
Sightseer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 11 of 11

Hi,

I've just upgraded to fibre 150 from fibre 65 and was sent a fancy new eero 6 which seems great in itself.

The two problems I'm having now is that my TPLink range extender is now really slow but I believe that is to do with eero being a mesh network and the extender not (only getting like 30ish mbps). If there is a way to fix that, besides spending £100 for another eero, it would be great!

My biggest issue is my PC, which uses a TPLink AC1300 wifi dongle and connects straight to the eero 6 WiFi (not through the range extender) and the PC also only gets 30ish mbps. Is this something to do with it being a TPLink brand, not being a wifi 6 dongle, a setting I've missed I'm very confused. My phone is getting the full 150mbps when connected to the eero 6 WiFi no problems. 

Any help would be appreciated as because of the eero 6 the upgrade is beginning to look like a downgrade as my PC is getting about half of what it was with the old router and fibre 65 package and my Xbox can only reach the WiFi through the extender which is also now about half of what I used to get on the old router and fibre 65 package.

Thanks in advance.

0 Likes
10 REPLIES 10

Message 1 of 11

Hi Chopkins117

I'm just sending you a Private Message about sending an additional eero.

Thanks

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 2 of 11

I did escalate this to TalkTalk yesterday & I thought that you would have heard from them, but maybe they are very busy. I have just re-escalated it again 7 hopefully someone will be in touch with you on Monday (they do not work at weekends).

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Message 3 of 11

Hi @KeithFrench,

Any update from yesterday at all? Wasn't sure what you meant by wait and see but I haven't had any more improvements so far while waiting for the connection to settle since going live.

Thanks

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 4 of 11

Just wait & see.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

0 Likes

Message 5 of 11

Thanks @KeithFrench.

Yeah I completely agree about the extender, luckily it's only the kids tvs and xbox that are having to connect through the range extender, so them only getting 30ish mbps is ok for right now but will of course need more the next time a game needs downloading etc. As I said, the PC is connected straight to the eero 6 mesh wifi and those speeds seem to have increased, I'm wondering if it's just the signal trying to go through the floor although I would have thought it would be OK considering it's literally directly above where the router is in the living room

It would be great if there is something that can be done as I would have stayed with my old router if I had known the eero 6 wouldn't work with the extender. 

Thanks again.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 6 of 11

Hi @Chopkins117 

Whilst this could be a WiFi interference problem, I think signal strength issues could be the big problem. I often find that one eero is not enough & two are required to form a mesh network. Let me see what TalkTalk can do for you, but please be prepared to disconnect the TP-Link extender, as that is not the correct way to extend an eero.

Keith

Message 7 of 11

Hi @KeithFrench

Thank you. The PC does seem to be doing better today which is weird. Still not getting the full 150mbps and it is a bit up and down but it is better today. I tried setting the dongle to only run on a/n/ac and tried a usb2.0 port instead of 3.0 but the only change is it seemed slightly slower in the 2.0 port. I can see on the PC it is only wifi5 too so not sure how much difference that makes for speed.

Here's the screenshots you asked for.

Thank you!

Screenshot_20240905_133604_eero.pngScreenshot_20240905_133428_eero.png

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 8 of 11

Hi @Chopkins117 

@Michelle-TalkTalk has asked me to help you.

Yes, your TP-Link range extender is likely to cause issues, but first I want to address the problem of your PC.

If you use the eero app, find the PC in the initial device listing, tap on it & see which WiFi band it is connected to. 

Then I need to see the Radio analytics screen for the 5GHz band. To find this in the app:-

1. Tap the appropriate eero mesh node.
2. Then tap on that eero’s Wi-Fi Radio analytics page.
3. Tap on the appropriate 5GHz Wi-Fi band and the channel number etc is displayed near the bottom of the page. You may have to scroll down the screen to see all of this.

Keith

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 9 of 11

Hi @Michelle-TalkTalk 

No problems I will contact @Chopkins117 later this morning hopefully.

Keith

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 10 of 11

Morning,

Would you be able to offer any advice please? @KeithFrench 

Thanks

Michelle