cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEED SOME HELP?

We’re here 24/7. 365 days a year.
Ask questions. Find your answers. Connect.

VDI Client (Java Applet) being blocked

andrewismith
Team Player
Private Message
Message 47 of 47

Hi, 

My wife works from home for NHS her laptop bring up a java applet for a VDI Client login, when she tries it while connected to a mobile hotspot it's fine, on wi-fi or ethernet it doesn't. Is there anything blocking VPN or VDI Client on my service?

I'm on Future Fibre. Thanks.

Regards,

Andy.

0 Likes
46 REPLIES 46

Message 21 of 47

OK thanks. Has this ever worked, is it a problem that's only developed recently?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 22 of 47

Hi Chris,

None of my wife's colleagues have a TalkTalk internet connection.

Regards,

Andy.

0 Likes

Chris-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 23 of 47

OK thanks for trying that. Does your wife know if any colleagues have a TalkTalk internet connection and if they do, do they experience the same issue?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 24 of 47

Hi Chris.

I left the ONT and router off for 45 minutes, retested this morning and no change.

Regards,

Andy.

0 Likes

Message 25 of 47

Hi Andrew,

Could you switch the ONT and router off and leave them off for at least 30 minutes, then switch back on and retest

Thanks

Chris

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 26 of 47

I think that this issue still has something to do with the VPN being blocked in some way. Once the VPN connection is established the laptop becomes part of the NHS network, just like being in the office.

It is impossible to say what is being blocked without seeing a Wireshark trace and having full knowledge of the way that this NHS VDI client works. Whilst I can analyse Wireshark traces, probably only the VDI support people will know what is not happening. 

My guess would be the TalkTalk network, as neither their router nor your Netgear work, but other ISPs do.

All I can do is pass this back to TalkTalk for their devices or networks teams to investigate further.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

Message 27 of 47

Hi Keith,

Apologies for the delay, been crazy busy at work! Right, I've done some testing and taken some screenshots to show what the issue is and where in the process. I have attached the document showing the steps and the issue. It's not the VPN as the laptop connects successfully to the VPN on device login by default. It is further down the chain when needing to login to another area, that the appropriate applet does not appear and the only common denominator is the talktalk connection. 

When using a Mobile hotspot at home or the Office LAN/Wi-Fi the ESR Login page loads correctly, with the java applet appearing.

When using Netgear ORBI Router at home, or the TalkTalk Router at home, either wi-fi or ethernet, the java applet is missing. This does not happen for colleagues using different ISP’s or on the mobile hotspot at home. The common denominator in this not working is the talktalk connection/line/service.

The firewall level on the router is medium in that its only blocking netbios.

Regards,

Andy.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 28 of 47

Hi @andrewismith 

The VDI client is most likely a Citrix type thin client to load all the virtual desktops on. I appreciate the confidentiality aspect, but if you can confirm which protocol it uses for the VPN, then it would give a bit of a pointer:-

1. PPTP
2. L2TP-IPSec
3. SSTP
4. IKEv2
5. OpenVPN

I have tested as many VPNs as I can, on behalf of TalkTalk and am just trying to help.

I do not even know as yet, (as you haven't answered any of my questions) if the VPN connects OK over the TalkTalk router or not, before considering why the VDI isn't working. It is after all the most likely difference between working at home and being in the hospital.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

0 Likes

Message 29 of 47

HI Andy

Your current router has the correct firmware version that should work ok with VPN, I've not received any other reports of it not working with this firmware.

What is the firewall level set to on the router?

I can try sending another router for testing to rule out a fault with the router.

0 Likes

Message 30 of 47

Hi Debbie,

I won't be able to specifically say what VPN as it's on a NHS platform. Suffice to say, it is a secure java applet (VDI Client) that is triggered within the online application page, for logging into a specific NHS platform. 

When my wife clicks to login, the applet does not even appear in the webpage when connected to wi-fi or ethernet. When she tries on mobile hotspot it is fine. When she takes her laptop to work on the hospital LAN, it works. Other colleague who have the same access on their laptops, on other IPS's at home, it works.

What we have tried at home, using Netgear Orbi router, the applet does not appear, TT router, actually worse, the whole application webpage page does not appear. I would deduce it is a parameter/restriction on the TT line or service.

Regards,

Andy.

0 Likes

Message 31 of 47

Hi Andy

Thanks for your reply. Are you still unable to connect?

I can see that Keith has also asked a question about VPN.

0 Likes

Message 32 of 47

Hi Debbie,

Yes, router is now reset.

Regards,

Andy.

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 33 of 47

What about the VPN client (I did ask which one)? Is that connecting OK, as I presume that the Citrix is trying to work over that?

Keith

Message 34 of 47

Hi Andy

How are you getting on, did you have a chance to factory reset the router?

0 Likes

Message 35 of 47

Hi,

I will try the reset later due to work commitments and report back. However, doesn't this then mean that's it's not a router issue but something downstream of the router, within TalkTalk since I have the same issue regardless of router, but do not have the issue if not using TalkTalk (e.g. mobile hotspot)?

Regards,

Andy.

0 Likes

Message 36 of 47

Hi Andy

Thanks for the Private Message. I've checked and your router has the latest firmware version.

It would be worth factory resetting the router using the pin hole reset for ten seconds and then retesting.

0 Likes

Message 37 of 47

Hi Andy

I still can't locate the router details. Could you send a photo by private message of the back of the router? Apologies for this.

0 Likes

Message 38 of 47

Hi,

Yes the TT Router is now connected. I will message the S/N.

Regards,

Andy.

Message 39 of 47

Hi Andy

Is the TalkTalk router connected at the moment? I would like to check the firmware version.

Could you also send me a Private Message with the serial number from the back of your TT router.

0 Likes

Message 40 of 47

Hi Debbie,

I am using the Wi-Fi Hub router, although I already switched it to another router (still got it) as I thought that was the problem. It didn't solve the problem.

Regards,

Andy.

0 Likes