cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEED SOME HELP?

We’re here 24/7. 365 days a year.
Ask questions. Find your answers. Connect.

WiFi Hub 2 DNS and AnyDesk

davecm
Whizz Kid
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 7 of 7

Hi

My partner, different address, (whose personal and account details are in my community profile if needed by an OCE), was switched to full fibre yesterday. Doesn't have a Community login, as I deal with any technical issues.

I set up the new WiFi hub 2 and the connected devices. All works fine.

I use AnyDesk frequently to provide remote support as partner is technophobe. Prior to the FTTP switch this worked fine, but in testing today connection cannot be established in either direction.

I checked that Scam Protection is turned off. It was before, and still is off, as that is known to block remote connections.

I noticed that the Talktalk DNS settings in the new router are set as port forwarding rules and the DNS server is set to the router IP address. I suspect this might be the cause of the issue?

Windows, Android, Synology NAS
0 Likes
6 REPLIES 6

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 1 of 7

Glad it is all sorted.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

davecm
Whizz Kid
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 2 of 7

Just confirming that forwarding any of the 3 ports 80, 443, 6568 with router firewall set to Medium allows AnyDesk to work normally.

For anyone moving from FTTC to FTTP or possibly also for a new customer, note that when the FTTP account goes live on the Talktalk My Account page, Scam Protection defaults to On, even though previously this was Off. That will prevent AnyDesk from working, and also block access to the AnyDesk website from which the software is downloaded. Previous experience was that this also applies to Teamviewer, but I haven't re-tested that as I no longer use it.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 3 of 7

Yes, you are correct @davecm that the Huawei may have been using UPnP. There is currently a bug in the Sagemcom hubs that means UPnP does not work with V174.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 7

I'm very grateful for Keith's help and for sharing his unoffical user guide. It's not my own router I need to configure, so I don't have access to it aagin until a visit to the owner on Wednesday, hence no screenshots available. I've been working out the solution in advance and pretty sure with his guide I now have what I need. Once confirmed on Weds I'll update the thread with the details needed to configure AnyDesk to work with the WiFi Hub 2, hopefully.

Keith's reference to the Huawei wifi hub black and ports 80 and 443 is a misunderstanding due to crossed wires. When AnyDesk was used prior to last week, with the wifi hub black, no user-specified port forwarding was required, it had always just worked with the default configuration. I don't know if that was achieved  via UPNP. However, the AnyDesk documentation says:-

"AnyDesk clients use the TCP-Ports 80, 443, and 6568 to establish connections. It is however sufficient if just one of these is opened."

So it's possible that the connection was established previously via port 6568, and 80 and 443 were therefore not needed.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 5 of 7

I have been trying to do some diagnostics via PMs, but this has not got anywhere. After sharing my guide for this router with him, that proved that he did not understand how DNS worked, however, I explained that to him. Apparently, this worked in a DG8041W and not in the Sagemcom Hub 2. The main ports that need to be forwarded according to AnyDesk are TCP ports 80 & 443. He tells me that these are forwarded correctly, but he will not share a screenshot of this so that I can check it for him and test his rules here.

I don't know how he got this working on the DG8041W, unless he put the target PC into the router's DMZ, as these two ports are part of the group blocked by that router.

The next step is a Wireshark trace, I have offered my guide on taking traces & my help in analysing the traces for him.

I am currently awaiting his reply.

Keith

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 6 of 7

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "Talktalk DNS settings in the new router are set as port forwarding rules", please can you provide a screenshot of this? The DNS server by default should be the one in the router.

Keith