cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEED SOME HELP?

We’re here 24/7. 365 days a year.
Ask questions. Find your answers. Connect.

Will a phone extension work with full fibre

Marvel
Whizz Kid
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 6 of 6

Currently my landline phone is in one room and plugged into the BT NTL via an extension cable near to the router. Looking to take up the 150 offer but read on here another poster who said a phone extension will not work with VOI

So I basically have a very long telephone cable, all be it with a hard wired little box on the phone side to plug the phone into.

I intend to order the sagemcom router with the VOI plug at time of going full fibre.

Also the main phone is a DECT base unit with 2 others connected wirelessly. 

So will the extension be a problem.

Thank you

0 Likes
5 REPLIES 5

Message 1 of 6

Hi Marvel

Yes that's correct. It just extension sockets wired into the old telephone master socket that will no longer work

Chris

0 Likes

Message 2 of 6

Thank you Michelle, yes I had read about that on here but that's not my query but I think I have worked it out - my main phone cable can be as long as it is needed to reach the router 7m in my case. But if I had other extensions connected then they will not work with VOI - is that right.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 6

Once FTTP goes live then any previous copper line extensions should no longer work as the service will be fully provided by the FTTP cable. If you do need a voice service then VOIP will need to be ordered when you place the FTTP order as it's not currently possible to add VOIP after the FTTP service has gone live.

Thanks

Michelle

Marvel
Whizz Kid
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 4 of 6

Thanks for your quick reply, yes the phone extension will be taken out of the current BT NTL and instead will be plugged into the voice port on the router.

Its just that a poster on here mentioned that extensions do not work, yes its the main phone and the 2 other connect to the base via wireless.

I didn't fancy having to relocate the main base unit next to the router to do away with the 7m -ish extension cable.

So I can then just take it out of the BT NTL and plug it into the VOI on the router.

I understand I have to order the VOI at the time of ordering, it will be city fibre

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 5 of 6

Hello,

With VOIP the phone would need to be connected to the voice port at the back of the router to work. If the other phones are just connected digitally to the main base phone (base station) then they should work as usual. The additional phones would not be connected to any extension sockets.

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes