Home Phone

Get help with your TalkTalk landline and calling features.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Caller display not working

PhilH2020
Popular Poster
Message 11 of 11

Our caller display has not worked for some years and we’ve learned to live with it. However we’ve recently acquired a new landline phone with call barring capability so we thought we’d have another go at getting it working. In online chat I’ve now been told 3 times that the agent can see a mismatch in the system settings, that this has been now been reset and that if I try again in a couple of hours it should be working. It still isn’t.

In the most recent chat I was sent an email with a list of  things to try,  most of which I’d already done. When I tried to get an explanation for why, when they tell me they can see a mismatch in system settings, they think that checking that my home phone is working will solve the problem, the chat was terminated because the agent decided I wasn’t responding quickly enough.

Any suggestions on how to get caller display working?

0 Likes
10 REPLIES 10

Message 1 of 11

That's great new Phil, thanks for letting me know 🙂

Chris

0 Likes

PhilH2020
Popular Poster
Message 2 of 11

Just had a phone call from Max/Matt. He’d noticed a mismatch in something to do with our system, had sorted that out and the phone is working together with caller display! Fingers crossed it’ll continue to work and I look forward to the next call from “Microsoft technical support “ telling me that my computer is full of viruses so that I can try out the call barring capability😉

0 Likes

Message 3 of 11

Yes completely dead. We’ve even tried with an old corded phone and that is no better.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 11

Hi PhilH2020,

Line test is passing, is the phone line still dead?

Chris

0 Likes

PhilH2020
Popular Poster
Message 5 of 11

The work to try to get our caller display working was postponed until yesterday Monday and involved Openreach doing something at the local exchange. When we checked the line yesterday afternoon it was completely dead, no dialling tone and unable to connect when dialling in from mobile. It’s still dead. The engineer in Manchester dealing with our case, Max, is supposed to be calling later today to check everything is ok but he’ll obviously not get a response. Hopefully he’ll be able to check the line to see that there’s a problem. Our broadband is still working.

0 Likes

Message 6 of 11

Thanks for the update, please let us know how you get on

Chris

0 Likes

PhilH2020
Popular Poster
Message 7 of 11

As promised, the engineer called back 😀. He is going to move our service to a “new system”. I’ve no idea what this means. This will happen on Friday during which time our service will be down for a couple of hours.

Hopefully this’ll solve the caller display issue without causing other problems to occur. 

I just wish the agents on online chat were trained to think outside the standard scripts and would escalate issues themselves rather than repeating the previous failed attempts to solve problems. It would avoid a great deal of customer frustration and dissatisfaction.

0 Likes

Message 8 of 11

Message 9 of 11

Chris, thanks for the response. Yesterday, before my third online chat was prematurely terminated, I’d asked the agent to escalate the issue as resetting the account was clearly not working. This resulted in a TT complaints handler calling us this afternoon. He has promised to have an engineer look at this and to call us back Tuesday afternoon with, hopefully, a solution.

Until then I’ll hold off scrabbling around to get to the master socket to prove that it isn’t anything at our end that’s causing the problem. Fingers crossed 🤞

0 Likes

Chris-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 10 of 11

Hi PhilH2020,

Could you just confirm that caller display doesn't work on two different handset when connected to your test socket - Your guide to main phone sockets - TalkTalk Help & Support, with all other telephone equipment (including your router) disconnected

Chris

0 Likes