cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home Phone

Get help with your TalkTalk landline and calling features.

Detection of Master Socket Fault

Frank46
Team Player
Private Message
Message 17 of 17

Hi,

I have intermittent crackling of the phone line (it’s been so bad that people can’t hear me but it currently sounds like a faint hum to myself and callers) and my broadband is dropping out.  

Today, via live chat a live line test was run and the result was, “Based on the live line test, it has captured no issues with the outside line as of this moment and for the past seven days, confirmed there are no physical damage showing on your equipment which was set up correctly as well. However, your system has captured a fault within the master socket”. 

Could you please explain how my system has detected the fault within the master socket? ie. Has an internal test from my router picked this up or has a test from the outside line picked it up?

If I disconnected the line from the port of the master socket (to eliminate the ADSL filter being at fault) would your line test still be able to pick up this fault with the master socket? 

Thanks in advance,

Frank

0 Likes
16 REPLIES 16

Message 1 of 17

Hi Frank

Thanks for your reply.

Every line is different. I would say a low hum is fine as long as it's not loud enough to disrupt the conversation.

0 Likes

Message 2 of 17

Hi Debbie,

Thank you for clarifying that. Let’s hold off on the engineer until I complete further tests. I have received the new Sagemcom Fast 5364 router, thank you. I also upgraded my package from Fibre 35 to 64. Using the HG635 router I had an increased download speed of around 35 (up to 40 for a moment) on the new package. Then I changed to the new Sagemcom router and I am only receiving download speeds of 29-31mbps. I will leave the Sagemcom in untouched for a couple of weeks to see if the speed improves and whether I still experience the internet dropouts as occurred with the HG635. I haven’t seen too much difference in the wi-fi signal strength as yet.

Regarding the phone line, I’m awaiting my purchase of a new corded phone to arrive. In the interim, could you confirm whether the phone line should be silent or whether a low hum is normal? At present there is no crackle just a low hum. I haven’t used the phone since to determine whether callers are having difficulty hearing me.

Thanks,

Frank

0 Likes

Message 3 of 17

Hi Frank

The team have advised that it was recommended to arrange a TalkTalk engineer visit and not an Openreach visit, this was suggested after home checks were completed and the fault was still present.

The TalkTalk engineer would complete further in home testing and also escalate to Openreach if needed.

Have you received the replacement router?

0 Likes

Message 4 of 17

Hi Frank

I'm still waiting on additional information from the team. I will let you know as soon as I receive further information.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 5 of 17

Hi Frank

Thank you. I've raised it to the team now to find out why it raised a fault.

I will keep you updated.

Thanks again.

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 6 of 17

Hi Debbie,

I am pleased I queried that then! 

Yes, please raise this with your My Connection team to see what they advise. I will also arrange to purchase a new corded phone to test before agreeing to an engineer visit then

Thanks,

Frank

0 Likes

Message 7 of 17

Hi Frank

The notes advise that more in home checks would be required and not that a fault was detected with the socket.

I can raise this to our My Connection team to see what they advise, would you like me to arrange this?

0 Likes

Message 8 of 17

Thanks for arranging that router Debbie, appreciated. 

When I experience an issue, here and there I will run all the tests available under My Connections on your website (line, router etc). The line test always picks up a fault (it never says what), it gets automatically fixed and I get an email saying it was resolved soon after. As it doesn’t seem to have actually resolved the issues I contacted Tech support yesterday and Michael ran a test himself from your end and advised me to contact Tech support 20 mins later for the results. Nearly an hour later I get back in contact and spoke to Francis in Tech support and he stated, “Based on the live line test, it has captured no issues with the outside line as of this moment and for the past seven days, confirmed there are no physical damage showing on your equiment which was set up correctly as well. However, your system has captured a fault within the master socket which we really need to have an engineer to look into this and take care of this matter for good.” I was reluctant to book the engineer due to the £75 charge if the issue is not your end so Francis left your system to refresh the lines through the night to see if that would resolve the issue. Unfortunately, It hasn’t. 

Francis said an issue had been identified with the master socket. This is why I wish to know how Talktalk has identified this because if you have identified it I would have no concerns about an engineer visit as I would be certain of no £75 charge. 

Thanks,

Frank

0 Likes

Message 9 of 17

Hi Frank

The router is on its way, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 10 of 17

Hi Frank

I have checked all the line test results completed and I can't see any faults detected so I'm not sure why this was reported when you run the test. Was the test completed using My Connection?

Yes I can send a replacement router for testing, I will arrange this now.

0 Likes

Message 11 of 17

Hi Debbie,

I would need to buy a new phone to test but do I need to do this as Talktalk confirmed, “your system has captured a fault within the master socket”. I really want to know how that fault has been identified. Are you able to answer that?

If the issue is definitely the master socket then I can confidently ask for an engineer visit without the risk of being charged £75 or buying a new phone to test beforehand. 

My broadband drops intermittently too and I don’t know if the issue is related or if the Talktalk router I am using is too old now as it’s the one provided years ago to me. Are you able to provide a new router free of charge to try to eliminate that issue?

Thanks,

Frank

0 Likes

Message 12 of 17

Hi Frank

I'm not sure why the test has detected an issue when the line tests this morning are clear.

I can arrange an Openreach engineer visit but we do suggest testing with a different phone first.

0 Likes

Message 13 of 17

Hi Ferguson,

Yes it does. I have been testing with it. 

Thanks,

Frank

0 Likes

Message 14 of 17

Hi Debbie,

I have a main base station and cordless 2 handsets. I have connected the base station directly into the test port and both handsets still crackle/hum, not massively at present (people can hear you speak). I received an incoming call yesterday and they could hear the crackle/hum their end too. I don’t have a different phone to try without purchasing one. 

The line was being refreshed last night but if anything it seems a little worse today. 

Yesterday, Talktalk said, “your system has captured a fault within the master socket”. How do you know this if the line test is coming up clear? Is this just because I can hear the crackle or is the fault actually being picked up on a formal Talktalk test?

Thanks,

Frank

0 Likes

Debbie-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 15 of 17

Hi Frank

I'm really sorry to hear this.

The line test is clear - No faults detected.

Do you experience the noise on the line if you connect a different phone directly to the test socket?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 16 of 17

Does your master socket have a removable faceplate? If so, try connecting to the test socket behind it.

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/Your-guide-to-main-phone-sockets/ta-p/2205432 

0 Likes