cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home Phone

Get help with your TalkTalk landline and calling features.

Phantom fault reporting?

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 111 of 111

I've reported this to staff here:

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Stars-Lounge/Service-Centre-is-now-called-MyConnection/td-p/2944...

I wouldn't have been testing my line except for you asking CSs to check what is going on for the new My Connection.

Each of the previous supposed fault reports have fallen off naturally after 3 days. I have never been informed if any of these faults were actually worked on.

Were the faults ever there or is this a fault with your system?

As the last listed fault had cleared as usual, I thought I would run another test for you, so here is another fault number:

Screenshot_20230201-165234_Chrome.jpg

I am getting rather fed up not knowing whether there's actually a fault going on or whether anything is actually being done about it, if there is. 

Could you please clarify the situation?

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes
110 REPLIES 110

Message 81 of 111

Morning,

I've re-run the line test again now and it's still clear. Can I just confirm, is the set up just the microfilter and phone connected to the test socket?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 82 of 111

@Michelle-TalkTalk

I have finally magicked the phone connection out of my filter. I warmed it in my hand for about 10 minutes and actually had to press IN for a while before retrieving it. 

I'll leave my router plugged in for now but put the phone back in the test socket from c 6am so that you can then run the test that you thought you were running today.

It means that I have to be very careful with the faceplate again....!

I'll check back again c 8am to follow up. 

Edit: removed the faceplate more easily just now, having put it back on earlier myself. 

0 Likes

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 83 of 111

@Michelle-TalkTalk,

A pupil's Dad kindly checked whether the phone connection could be moved from the filter and cannot get it to come out at all.

The phone is not particularly old, so not necessarily hardened plastic. I think it was just shoved into the filter and may be fractionally misaligned, therefore jammed.

The engineer was the one who wasn't experienced enough to check outside underground for possible causes of the fault with the Broadband disconnections. He ran the tests inside the house that resulted in me having everything set up next to the master socket, so the router was moved downstairs in case there was a fault in the wiring to the socket upstairs. 

Please tell them that this is the first time you have asked me to look at it since his visit. All the faults were recorded via the Service Centre, so you didn't do any checks in December via the forum  / phone support / Chat.

It's one of BT's own brand of phones:

DECOR 260

The back plate of the master socket fits snug to the wall. The visible gaps are the work of a handyman replacing my wallpaper, so these are just between paper and wall, not a neat fit around the socket. Probably not enough wallpaper paste...!

0 Likes

Message 84 of 111

Ah, OK, I was well-intentioned on this occasion, I am sorry you do not see it that way.

0 Likes

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 85 of 111

@ferguson, as requested before,  PLEASE DESIST from commenting on this thread.

The front of the socket looks like this, @Michelle-TalkTalk :

20230209_174931.jpg

The left side opens easily but the right doesn't give, so when you squeeze the sides, one side opens more easily than the other. I could have broken it forcing it, but managed to lift it off earlier. 

Inside, there was one slot that I popped the Broadband (in error) line into when you were testing. Below that is just a large cavity, so not set up to be used without an external filter. 

Now set up as normal, after the external filter: 

20230209_175033.jpg

If I could tease the phone connector out of the filter, I wouldn't have posted that I couldn't....and I am not about to try WD40.

0 Likes

Message 86 of 111

I have to say that by the looks of it your last Openreach engineer has left a bit of a mess. Is there not a pre-filtered faceplate with separate sockets for phone and router? Also, the faceplate should clip on and off easily, so I am troubled by your suggestion that you found it difficult. Are you not able to tease out the phone connector from the filter? Finally, the interstitial plate seems badly connected to the back plate judging from your pics. 

0 Likes

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 87 of 111

20230209_160439.jpg

Phone lead jammed in filter.

20230209_160453.jpg

 specific filter

20230209_160504.jpg

Would have to replace whole lead at back of phone. 

0 Likes

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 88 of 111

@Michelle-TalkTalk, in less of a rush now, though I thought I checked properly earlier:

The wire I plugged in that you tested at lunchtime was the BROADBAND wire!

No wonder no error.

Worse news:

The filter that is being used is not the one I used to use - the proof is I still have that lying around here. The engineer who was here last time has jammed the end of the phone lead into the filter.

Examining it now, I had put the easier (Broadband) one into the test socket.

I cannot physically remove the phone lead from the filter socket that he has jammed it into. As I say, I have touched nothing there since Openreach were last here, so this is their fault.

But the result is that I cannot plug the phone line into the test socket (nor anything other than the current filter).

Which means that Openreach have messed up my lead. VERY CARELESS of them, and I'd be grateful if you could put it through as a complaint to them. 

When I have time, I could try to get hold of another lead for my phone as it is detachable at the back of the phone. But I don't think I should have to, as this was not my fault!

Openreach should replace it!

0 Likes

Message 89 of 111
0 Likes

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 90 of 111

Will do. 

The phone  / router set up is exactly as left by the engineer when last checking dropouts.....

Will let you know when I have set it up for the next test tomorrow. 

Thanks!

0 Likes

Message 91 of 111

Hi,

The line test is now clear so it could indicate either the faceplate, internal wiring or possibly the router causing the issue. I can see from your last post that your busy this afternoon so if you have any free time tomorrow then we could run the test again with just the microfilter and phone at the main socket (with the faceplate re-connected) to see if the line test is clear or shows the same fault as this will help us to narrow down what is causing the fault on the line test.

In the meantime please can you re-connect all your equipment back in your usual set up again (router now re-connected)

Thanks

0 Likes

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 92 of 111

So now at the mercy of appallingly weak Three data till normal service resumes,  @Michelle-TalkTalk.

Teaching at 1.30 face to face so can't check back then for 2 hours.

0 Likes

Message 93 of 111

Hi,

Thank you. I'll run it now and will post back shortly.

Thanks

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 94 of 111

Was difficult to remove front.

Have stuck phone bit in like this:

20230209_125237.jpg

0 Likes

Message 95 of 111

Hi,

Yes please. Would it be possible to confirm when it's done so I know when to re-run the test again?

Thanks

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 96 of 111

So phone only.

Will try.

0 Likes

Message 97 of 111

Hi,

Great thanks for confirming. Would it be possible to connect the phone at the test socket so we can run the test again (to rule this out)

Thanks

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 98 of 111

It has a 5C

0 Likes

Message 99 of 111

Hi,

No problem 🙂 I've run the line test now and it's showing a fault towards the property. Apologies, I can't recall if your socket has a test socket or not?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 100 of 111

Please do, @Michelle-TalkTalk!

0 Likes